Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
If you speak or understand spanish fluently then yes. But most don't. Most can't tell the difference between Italian, Portoguese or Spanish.

Its like if you travel down to Miami some inner city Cubans speak in the LA Chicano dialect. But the only people who are going to pick this up are either fluent speakers or people who grew up in multilanguage communities.
I think we are talking about two different things. I'm referencing when Latinos speak English. The Spanish accent is very different from a persom from Argentina as compared to a Dominican speaking English with a Spanish accent. My guess is that it is the different dialects and they are very pronounced when they speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I didn't say you couldn't tell the difference in Latino accents.

What I said was that Latino accents sound very similar to EACH OTHER in English when compared with other accents in English. As in, a Mexican speaking English sounds more like an Argentinian speaking English than an American black person speaking English.

Nothing really earth-shattering here; people that speak the same language have a similar accent to others who also speak that same language.
Oh, my bad. I agree wid dat.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post

Blacks speak Ebonics for one reason, because they want to. It's part of their cultural identity. And that's fine. But don't blame it on something that happened 100 years ago, that's just silly.
pinning slang on black ppl is bull****, IMHO. Robert Lee Williams II can go to hell along with whoever created kwanzaa. yeah, i said it.

ppl of other races speak slang daily. the word ebonics is bull****. you don't see ppl coining terms like whitonics. asianics or whatever ridiculous term somebody like robert would come up with.

i wish they'd throw 'ebonics,' the term 'african american' to describe black ppl that have never stepped foot on the continent of africa and that don't have anybody they know that has been and the fake holiday kwanzaa out of the window.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
pinning slang on black ppl is bull****, IMHO. Robert Lee Williams II can go to hell along with whoever created kwanzaa. yeah, i said it.

ppl of other races speak slang daily. the word ebonics is bull****. you don't see ppl coining terms like whitonics. asianics or whatever ridiculous term somebody like robert would come up with.

i wish they'd throw 'ebonics,' the term 'african american' to describe black ppl that have never stepped foot on the continent of africa and that don't have anybody they know that has been and the fake holiday kwanzaa out of the window.
Wow! You said a mouthful. I didn't realize blacks resented being called African Americans or had such a dislike for Kwanzaa. I thought those were things that helped unite blacks, gave them identity and empowered them. At least I thought that's what they were meant to do.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 AM
eek

anything thats negative usually gets attached to black people, regardless if its accurate or not.
the funny part is that some black people choose to embrace this foolishness.

black people need to wake up and stop being so ignorant. people associate the entire race as people that speak broken english, and as people that are lazy, complacent, don't have any goals, etc.

only they, yes they, word it differently and we happily accept these terms. hell, not even they. WE come up with these ridiculous terms to describe some **** that should have and needs to be corrected.

foh with that.

aave and ebonics...

ppl who throw around those terms can kiss my ass.

you know how many country ***, no english speaking *** white people (only using white ppl here because they are dominant) there are?

git r done!!
honey chile
ya'll
yer
fer
as in, "bless yer heart"
fixing to

yet WE get pinned with broken english? again, foh.

i have a gf from sc. she's black if it matters, which i'm sure it does. her son not only has a thick twang but he speaks broken english. they think its cute. i correct him and i don't care when they get offended.

ny is not sc. people shouldn't be, and from what i've heard with my own ears, don't regularly speak like that down there so what on earth made her think it was going to fly in ny???

but let me tell you, that is NOT how all of us speak.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Wow! You said a mouthful. I didn't realize blacks resented being called African Americans or had such a dislike for Kwanzaa. I thought those were things that helped unite blacks, gave them identity and empowered them. At least I thought that's what they were meant to do.
an african american SHOULD BE, again, SHOULD BE used to describe somebody with parents from africa and/or somebody that was born in africa that came here and became a citizen.

lol @ the thought of ppl that have never in their lives stepped foot on any part of the continent of africa being called african american.

the vast majority of black americans that came here via the slave trade have no knowledge whatsoever of ANYBODY in their families coming from africa.

what does this mean?

-no coat of arms
-no tribe
-no culture
-no language
-no customs
-no first or last names

etc. that we know of from africa. we have no identity other than being american and our experience as black people that live here. thats it.

realize the amount of cultures within africa...and we can't claim any of them because all those records were either not written down or destroyed and because they separated people that could speak the same language during the slave trade so that they couldn't unite.

so again, foh with that african american stuff. i'd rather be called that than negro like on the census, but it is what it is.

i don't know anybody from africa, i've never been to africa, etc.

i would argue that most black americans without african heritage don't even know anything about some of the cultures in africa.

all we know is that we ended up here from west africa from being packed like sardines on boats.

wow.

can't name a country we're "from," can't name a tribe/culture like igbo, yoruba, fulani, etc., can't name any of the languages within the countries we might have come from, nothing.

kwanzaa is fake as well.

we shouldn't have to be given an identity in the first place.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 AM
eek

not for nothing but people are putting on dashikis and all that and have no knowledge whatsoever of where they came from.

what is it...adopt a country?? just to feel a false sense of belonging to something?

and people don't think that something like that would hurt that people have to do that just to feel like they came from somewhere like everybody else?

bottom line, all i'm saying is that things like that (and my above posts) have an impact on black people today, just like the education system being what it was then and what it is now.

sugar coating and/or denying things only prevents us from getting over it. on that note, black people need to wake up and pay attention to how people perceive us. the term AAVE should not even exist in 2011. neither should ebonics.
we need to learn to be vocal about what we believe in.

while its on my mind, we need to stop acting like buffoons on tv and in movies.
**** like big mama's house, lottery ticket, soul plane, meet the browns, etc. don't help with our image as a race at all.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
anything thats negative usually gets attached to black people, regardless if its accurate or not.
the funny part is that some black people choose to embrace this foolishness.

black people need to wake up and stop being so ignorant. people associate the entire race as people that speak broken english, and as people that are lazy, complacent, don't have any goals, etc.

only they, yes they, word it differently and we happily accept these terms. hell, not even they. WE come up with these ridiculous terms to describe some **** that should have and needs to be corrected.

foh with that.

aave and ebonics...

ppl who throw around those terms can kiss my ass.

you know how many country ***, no english speaking *** white people (only using white ppl here because they are dominant) there are?

git r done!!
honey chile
ya'll
yer
fer
as in, "bless yer heart"
fixing to

yet WE get pinned with broken english? again, foh.

i have a gf from sc. she's black if it matters, which i'm sure it does. her son not only has a thick twang but he speaks broken english. they think its cute. i correct him and i don't care when they get offended.

ny is not sc. people shouldn't be, and from what i've heard with my own ears, don't regularly speak like that down there so what on earth made her think it was going to fly in ny???

but let me tell you, that is NOT how all of us speak.
No offense but not the content of the post but the way you wrote it gave me the impression that you are black. Do you really believe the average black New Yorker sound like the average white New Yorker? I don't and if it isn't one of the terms you mentioned, give me your spin as to what in their accent makes them sound apparently different from other New Yorkers. However, if you truly believe they sound like the average New Yorker we can move on and agree to just disagree.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:

realize the amount of cultures within africa...and we can't claim any of them because all those records were either not written down or destroyed and because they separated people that could speak the same language during the slave trade so that they couldn't unite.

we shouldn't have to be given an identity in the first place.
With the exception of a few places like Mali and the Sudan where there were strong Arab influences, most of the peoples of Africa were illiterates that had no written language.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 AM
eek

i think that it depends. i think that a lot of things discussed in this thread have more to do with class than it does with race.

do you think that a white underclass nyer sounds like a white middle/upperclass nyer?

or that a white underclass southerner sounds like a white middle/upperclass southerner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City