Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 10:32 AM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

More people are killed by drunk drivers ,drugs and texting than are shot. Maybe the law abiding citizen shouldnt be allowed to drive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
But people on here are suggesting that since a few people drunk drive, do drugs, and texting, then the solution is to have everyone drunk drive, do drugs, and text...how does that make anyone safer? It puts more drunk drivers on the road, and more drugs on the street...that exacerbates the problem, not solves it.

If there are too many illegal guns, we need to target where they are coming from and do a better job of restricting access, NOT just arm everyone with guns.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM

let me know when you figure out the answer.. until then ill do what i have to do for the security of myself and my family.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
But people on here are suggesting that since a few people drunk drive, do drugs, and texting, then the solution is to have everyone drunk drive, do drugs, and text...how does that make anyone safer? It puts more drunk drivers on the road, and more drugs on the street...that exacerbates the problem, not solves it.

If there are too many illegal guns, we need to target where they are coming from and do a better job of restricting access, NOT just arm everyone with guns.
im not suggesting that at all. your suggesting since there are a bunch of criminals breaking the law then the rest of us are unfit to drive either since everyone driving can be dangerous with those drunk drivers out there.

your logic makes no sense.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times
Quote:
No Allen...thugs killing people are not misguided kids..they are str8 criminals. Youth fighting youth, assaults, gang behavior, you might say, is a right of passage in NYC and has been going on since the 1800s (maybe longer).

The answer to the problem is not arming the "average" citizen...having 100 people jam packed on the 2 train on the morning commute with loaded weapons is not a solution..that is a MAJOR problem, a catastrophe of epic proportions. By arming all citizens you are making it much easier to turn those "law-abiding average citizens" into the thugs you despise....that is no solution.
This post is laughable. Thugs killing people are criminals..while youths fighting youths, assaults, and gang behavior is just a "right of passage" huh? They're not criminals...it's just "kids being kids"...never mind these youths are packing illegal guns and shooting each other and committing armed robberies against each other and unarmed, law-abiding citizens. And for the love of god...will you please stop being "scary-acting". It's funny how you call out people like Anon1, or SuperMario for "exaggerating" and "fear mongering", but you run off and make a post about armed citizens causing a "catastrophe of epic proportions" because the law-abiding citizens will become thugs. So I guess Vermont and Alaska are hell holes since you don't need a permit to carry concealed guns. Have you ever lived or spent a significant amount of time in an area with a high rate of gun ownership? Did you survive? Was there carnage in the streets? Have you ever personally handled a firearm? It's cool, you're scared of guns, we get it, but the logic contained in your arguments, is comedy at best. You'd probably wet your pants at the sight of a Hunting rifle lol.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
This post is laughable. Thugs killing people are criminals..while youths fighting youths, assaults, and gang behavior is just a "right of passage" huh? They're not criminals...it's just "kids being kids"...never mind these youths are packing illegal guns and shooting each other and committing armed robberies against each other and unarmed, law-abiding citizens. And for the love of god...will you please stop being "scary-acting". It's funny how you call out people like Anon1, or SuperMario for "exaggerating" and "fear mongering", but you run off and make a post about armed citizens causing a "catastrophe of epic proportions" because the law-abiding citizens will become thugs. So I guess Vermont and Alaska are hell holes since you don't need a permit to carry concealed guns. Have you ever lived or spent a significant amount of time in an area with a high rate of gun ownership? Did you survive? Was there carnage in the streets? Have you ever personally handled a firearm? It's cool, you're scared of guns, we get it, but the logic contained in your arguments, is comedy at best. You'd probably wet your pants at the sight of a Hunting rifle lol.

"Blah blah blah blah no you're right, lets arm every man, woman, and child with AK-47's blah blah drivel drivel blah blah...."

*continues to blatantly ignore this absurd notion*

- SoBroGuy

Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
We are not talking about Vermont and Alaska, we are talking about the people who live in this city, a city which already has a gun problem. We are talking about a simple choice in life:

Would you rather have a NYC, where everyone at all times, is fully loaded. What happens when you step on the wrong person's fresh new addidas on a crowded train? Feel safer yet? Ne neither. What happens when you are late paying rent, and you despise your LL and he comes knocking on your door for the 11th time, armed of course, as are you. Feel safer yet? Me neither. What happens when you bump into the wrong person, having a bad day, in Times Square, and words start getting exchanged, knowing full well you are loaded, he is loaded, and potentially 1,000 people are loaded around you. Feel safer yet? Me neither.

So while you preach of this and that, the actual reality of arming people in NYC as a solution to crime is laughable, not restricting access. It will create far more problems, and simply lead to a frigid city wrought with the fear of bumping into the wrong person, accidentally, and being shot to death for no good reason. Could not happen you say? It happens now without everyone being armed...

I prefer a world with limited gun access, and the thugs and police duking it out, and not anyone that can fill out a permit application. You don't realize how scary the "average person" really is and you give way too much credit in the notion that everyone loaded will deter crime, or act responsibly. When has that ever happened?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
People may soon be allowed to carry their concealed pistols in New York City using their home-state permits, under a bill in Congress whose hearings begin tomorrow:

Congress considers law allowing interstate travel with concealed guns

Quote:
Congress plans to hear testimony Tuesday on a bill that would allow licensed gun owners to carry their firearms across state lines without notifying anyone.
Could be interesting. Maybe we'll all be able to legally carry our pistols around Manhattan and the other boroughs in a few months.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times
Quote:
We are not talking about Vermont and Alaska, we are talking about the people who live in this city, a city which already has a gun problem. We are talking about a simple choice in life:

Would you rather have a NYC, where everyone at all times, is fully loaded. What happens when you step on the wrong person's fresh new addidas on a crowded train? Feel safer yet? Ne neither. What happens when you are late paying rent, and you despise your LL and he comes knocking on your door for the 11th time, armed of course, as are you. Feel safer yet? Me neither. What happens when you bump into the wrong person, having a bad day, in Times Square, and words start getting exchanged, knowing full well you are loaded, he is loaded, and potentially 1,000 people are loaded around you. Feel safer yet? Me neither.

So while you preach of this and that, the actual reality of arming people in NYC as a solution to crime is laughable, not restricting access. It will create far more problems, and simply lead to a frigid city wrought with the fear of bumping into the wrong person, accidentally, and being shot to death for no good reason. Could not happen you say? It happens now without everyone being armed...

I prefer a world with limited gun access, and the thugs and police duking it out, and not anyone that can fill out a permit application. You don't realize how scary the "average person" really is and you give way too much credit in the notion that everyone loaded will deter crime, or act responsibly. When has that ever happened?
No you don't realize how "normal" most people actually are...this is what happens when you stay in New York for too long. The reason I used VT and AK is because of their gun laws being extremely lax (all you need is a Drivers license and a clean record and gun will be given to you almost INSTANTLY), yet there is no bloodshed on the streets and people don't even lock their doors despite the high rate of gun ownership. Your problem is that you ASS-U-ME that law-abiding citizens can't legally carry guns without going postal when the fact of the matter is that violent crime is going DOWN and gun sales are going UP. Besides you probably walk by a lot of people who are armed and don't even know it, that is the beauty of concealed carry. Also you the questions I asked you in my previous response was not rhetorical. I really would like to know, if you've ever spent a significant amount of time in an area with a high rate of gun owners, or if you've ever personally handled a firearm yourself. You'd be amazed at how many anti-gun folks never did both.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM

dollars to donuts nyc will find a way to exempt themselves from that bill if it ever passed. dont forget for decades nyc got away with having a permit class that didnt even exist in the eyes of the state and that was the "target hunting permit" despite challenge after challenge the courts let them get a way with it.

now nyc has their own variance on the resident permit even going around state law to allow you to hunt and target shoot with it so they dont have to give you any other type of permit .

believe me they will find a way around this bill if it passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City