Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 PM

58 posts, read 121,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneBronx View Post
Is the CDL road test easier to take in a bus rather than in a truck?
Which is easier? Does it make a difference which vehicle you take the test in?
Does it affect your CDL license which vehicle you use for your test?
Darlene if you are going for your cdl I would just take the test in a bus and get your school bus endorsment. Worse comes to worse if you don't get called for dsny you at least have that to fall back on. When you take a road test in a bus and pass you can drive any class b vehicle. But if you take it in a truck you will not be able to drive a bus.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 AM

86 posts, read 145,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjammer10 View Post
Darlene if you are going for your cdl I would just take the test in a bus and get your school bus endorsment. Worse comes to worse if you don't get called for dsny you at least have that to fall back on. When you take a road test in a bus and pass you can drive any class b vehicle. But if you take it in a truck you will not be able to drive a bus.
You don't need a school bus endorsement to take it with a bus, just passenger. Listen, its too late to take it on your own if there is a Nov class. If Dsny gives the training, take it. If there's no Nov class, then take it on your own. This is why everyone should have done this over the last 4 years. Everyone had so much time to get this license and now everyone is scrambling to get it. Today is the 27th. If you guys don't hear very soon, there's no class.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 AM

360 posts, read 736,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjammer10 View Post
100% right...I went and got it on my own and clerk at DMV told me same when she asked me what Cdl endorsments i was looking for I told her DSNY .. She then told me which endorsements then suggested to get school bus also .. For that exact reason and to be honest bus is alittle easier then using the cut down .. But that's my opinion ... Good luck

Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 AM

71 posts, read 116,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round robin View Post
You don't need a school bus endorsement to take it with a bus, just passenger. Listen, its too late to take it on your own if there is a Nov class. If Dsny gives the training, take it. If there's no Nov class, then take it on your own. This is why everyone should have done this over the last 4 years. Everyone had so much time to get this license and now everyone is scrambling to get it. Today is the 27th. If you guys don't hear very soon, there's no class.
Not everyone has the money upfront to take this class. Some may require more lessons than others. It ain't cheap. Also, people are scrambling because they only had but so many weeks notice. At orientation they said they condensed the process down into a few weeks. I think they said it takes around 3mos or so. Also, I'm sure the DSNY exam wasn't the only test a lot of us took either. Im sure a lot of others took NYPD and FDNY. Most figured they would deal with the CDL license when the time came if DSNY called, because city hiring usually take a few months, not weeks, and that would have been plenty of time to get a CDL. Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury of a few months, but this was an extreme case.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 AM

245 posts, read 386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberblues View Post
yea hr told me last one is nov7. and she sed they dont bill u if u dont become a sanman. so y wud they continue on n risk not gettin paid i dunno will c
November not everyone taking the CDL class is getting hired in this next class, so that doesn't matter to them. They don't care about not getting paid eventually they will, because I'm pretty sure everyone who is taking these classes will get hired one day. They probably see it as getting it out of the way for the future.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM

245 posts, read 386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deac39 View Post
100% right...I went and got it on my own and clerk at DMV told me same when she asked me what Cdl endorsments i was looking for I told her DSNY .. She then told me which endorsements then suggested to get school bus also .. For that exact reason and to be honest bus is alittle easier then using the cut down .. But that's my opinion ... Good luck
Same here, I got my CDL on my own, and the driving school told me I should get the School bus and passenger endorsements. They are good to have and don't cost much. Look at it this way, when we retire in 20 yrs maybe you'll still want to work while collecting that pension, what better job then to drive a school bus. All you have to do is deal with annoying little punks for a few hours a day. I know someone who did that after he retired from DSNY.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM

337 posts, read 512,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USPS-2-DSNY View Post
I asked today at fbf. Nobody has a clue. I will say a lot of people at fbf are optimistic there will be a class, but no one knows for sure. All I saw was that this weeks cdl class was about 20-25 people. Usually its about 40-45 to a class. Don't know what that means but looks like they are getting ready to close up shop. Next week is the last cdl class I believe. I hope there is a November class and I wish everyone the best of luck.
You are correct next week is the last CDL I was told!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM

To anyone that has the medical certificate...... After the doctor fills out the form what do I do with it. Do I have to take it to DMV?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM

103 posts, read 207,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneBronx View Post
To anyone that has the medical certificate...... After the doctor fills out the form what do I do with it. Do I have to take it to DMV?
Yes go to dmv so they can update your permit and remove the restriction. Then just keep the certificate with your permit. Whenever u drive u should have both.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulSanMan View Post
Yes go to dmv so they can update your permit and remove the restriction. Then just keep the certificate with your permit. Whenever u drive u should have both.
Thank you Hope!!! I guess it's back to DMV for me! UGH!
I still could not get an answer about my medical status!!! I'm running out of time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City