Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM

245 posts, read 386,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberblues View Post
batwings. i think ur right i dont disagree but wat about the fact of payin those san man to go their and train ppl and also thats were all their new trucks r. u dont think esspecially if they need ppl that they wud throw the trucks and the manpower back out their asap? i dunno jus a thought
I hear ya but they sent out letter for oreintation up to list number in the 1900's. I would think some of those guy got into a cdl class, and I doubt they will get that high for the nov class. I hope so because that means I'll get called, so they are probably training guys who are not getting on in nov.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:59 PM

8 posts, read 16,154 times
I was like all you guys in the beginning...I loved this job but over the last 7 years it has progressively gotten worse each year..you don't have to go by me..wait to you get on this job don't listen to these new hires and guys with 2gore years on..once you start bouncing around every week for the last 5 years..then you'll see..half the guys I've ever worked with hate this job and half love it ...why would I resign? Im grateful I have a job..im just saying it has changed so much in the short time I've been on(7yrs) that im worried what it will become in the next 7 and beyond...the job itself is great its not knowing what you're going to do until 130he everyday which is the hard part..all otj guys know this...good luck guys hope to see you out there

Old 10-28-2011, 01:10 AM

289 posts, read 746,195 times
Default The job

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmen1313 View Post
I was like all you guys in the beginning...I loved this job but over the last 7 years it has progressively gotten worse each year..you don't have to go by me..wait to you get on this job don't listen to these new hires and guys with 2gore years on..once you start bouncing around every week for the last 5 years..then you'll see..half the guys I've ever worked with hate this job and half love it ...why would I resign? Im grateful I have a job..im just saying it has changed so much in the short time I've been on(7yrs) that im worried what it will become in the next 7 and beyond...the job itself is great its not knowing what you're going to do until 130he everyday which is the hard part..all otj guys know this...good luck guys hope to see you out there
I HEAR YOU GUY'S, EVERYONE THAT'S ONE OF THE REASON'S WHY I'VE SAID YOU HAVE TO STICK IT OUT EVERYONE GOES THROUGH THIS ALL THE CRAZY SHIFT'S WAITING TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING THE NEXT DAY.I KNOW GUY'S WHO WALKED AWAY FROM THIS JOB AND I CAN TELL YOU THEY TOLD ME IT WAS THE WORSE MISTAKE THEY MADE IN THERE LIFE.GET ON THE JOB PUT YOUR TIME IN GO HOME TO YOUR FAMILY EVERYDAY ,AND THEN RETIRE YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT .AND DON'T FORGET JOIN THE 457 PLAN GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE ON THE JOB.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 AM

8 posts, read 16,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED SANMAN View Post
I HEAR YOU GUY'S, EVERYONE THAT'S ONE OF THE REASON'S WHY I'VE SAID YOU HAVE TO STICK IT OUT EVERYONE GOES THROUGH THIS ALL THE CRAZY SHIFT'S WAITING TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING THE NEXT DAY.I KNOW GUY'S WHO WALKED AWAY FROM THIS JOB AND I CAN TELL YOU THEY TOLD ME IT WAS THE WORSE MISTAKE THEY MADE IN THERE LIFE.GET ON THE JOB PUT YOUR TIME IN GO HOME TO YOUR FAMILY EVERYDAY ,AND THEN RETIRE YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT .AND DON'T FORGET JOIN THE 457 PLAN GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE ON THE JOB.
Thanks man..im getting fed up with getting tossed around all over the place like another number..I keep telling myself things will get better but its hard when you see things around you getting worse..I didn't mean to offend these guy who are trying to get hired..im just getting tired and more importantly my family is getting tired all these crazy shifts and never being able to plan anything until that day..I just don't appreciate guys not even on telling me to resign when they have no clue what each persons situation is..thanks and I will tough it out and hopefully retire healthy and happy one day

Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 AM

86 posts, read 145,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will It Happen View Post
Not everyone has the money upfront to take this class. Some may require more lessons than others. It ain't cheap. Also, people are scrambling because they only had but so many weeks notice. At orientation they said they condensed the process down into a few weeks. I think they said it takes around 3mos or so. Also, I'm sure the DSNY exam wasn't the only test a lot of us took either. Im sure a lot of others took NYPD and FDNY. Most figured they would deal with the CDL license when the time came if DSNY called, because city hiring usually take a few months, not weeks, and that would have been plenty of time to get a CDL. Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury of a few months, but this was an extreme case.
This statement makes no sense. Come on man. Don't talk about people don't have money. Everyone had 4 years. It cost me 5 hundred dollars and it took three weeks total time to get it, not three months. 4 years to come up with $500? Be serious. If this job was a priority people would have prepared better. Its just laziness and procrastination, plain and simple. There is nothing extreme about this case. Deal with it when the time came? Ridiculous.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 AM

71 posts, read 116,709 times
[quote=round robin;21471076]This statement makes no sense. Come on man. Don't talk about people don't have money. Everyone had 4 years. It cost me 5 hundred dollars and it took three weeks total time to get it, not three months. 4 years to come up with $500? Be serious. If this job was a priority people would have prepared better. Its just laziness and procrastination, plain and simple. There is nothing extreme about this case. Deal with it when the time came? Ridiculous.[/]

If it doesn't make sense to you that's cool. Not everyones sole goal in life is to be a sanman. If it is, then it makes sense to run out and get a CDL. However a lot of people are just looking for a job and take multiple civil service exams. Basically willing to take whichever calls them first. If you can't understand that point, and think that everyone should have handled it the way you did, then you're the one being ridiculous.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 AM

56 posts, read 90,722 times
[quote=Will It Happen;21472687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by round robin View Post
This statement makes no sense. Come on man. Don't talk about people don't have money. Everyone had 4 years. It cost me 5 hundred dollars and it took three weeks total time to get it, not three months. 4 years to come up with $500? Be serious. If this job was a priority people would have prepared better. Its just laziness and procrastination, plain and simple. There is nothing extreme about this case. Deal with it when the time came? Ridiculous.[/]

If it doesn't make sense to you that's cool. Not everyones sole goal in life is to be a sanman. If it is, then it makes sense to run out and get a CDL. However a lot of people are just looking for a job and take multiple civil service exams. Basically willing to take whichever calls them first. If you can't understand that point, and think that everyone should have handled it the way you did, then you're the one being ridiculous.
It may not be everyones goal in life to be a sanman and its true that many people in this great city take every exam they qualify for in order to hope that they do well on one of the tests and someone calls them. However, honestly speaking everyone knows whats required for this job and if the test was taken with the hope of getting hired then the steps should have also been taken to get the CDL. I did my CDL stuff way back in 2007 just because i had no clue when i would get called. I have friends that have been lazy and could have come to private cdl lessons with me for mutual support but they didnt. It was a #1 priority for me but not for them. Everyone is different I guess and some people work better in crunch time with little or no time to get the CDL and will take it and pass the first time. Others wont be so fortunate and will get passed on the list. Prioritize gentlemen and women.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 AM

269 posts, read 497,042 times
[quote=KrazyKodak;21472975]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will It Happen View Post

It may not be everyones goal in life to be a sanman and its true that many people in this great city take every exam they qualify for in order to hope that they do well on one of the tests and someone calls them. However, honestly speaking everyone knows whats required for this job and if the test was taken with the hope of getting hired then the steps should have also been taken to get the CDL. I did my CDL stuff way back in 2007 just because i had no clue when i would get called. I have friends that have been lazy and could have come to private cdl lessons with me for mutual support but they didnt. It was a #1 priority for me but not for them. Everyone is different I guess and some people work better in crunch time with little or no time to get the CDL and will take it and pass the first time. Others wont be so fortunate and will get passed on the list. Prioritize gentlemen and women.
Amen to that. If you really want this job. Get your CDL. A lot of people were unprepared for September. And because of it we had guys makin September with list numbers in the 1300's. Because they had their CDL and people that didn't got skipped. And just cause you are takin CDL at FBF does not guarantee you are making this class. I took CDL there in June 2008 and just got on this September. Be prepared and you have nothing to worry about.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 AM

103 posts, read 207,861 times
SILive.com : Snow in NYC forecast -- first October winter storm on Staten Island in years

Oh yeah let it snow let it snow. Hey bloomberg pay attention winter hasn't even started and here comes the first snow fall. Earliest in history.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:24 AM

71 posts, read 116,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulSanMan View Post
SILive.com : Snow in NYC forecast -- first October winter storm on Staten Island in years

Oh yeah let it snow let it snow. Hey bloomberg pay attention winter hasn't even started and here comes the first snow fall. Earliest in history.
Hopefully that call will come. I'm ready to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City