Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:26 PM

235 posts, read 248,263 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the recent contributions to this thread, but particularly to Wordyword for the ad describing one brand of license plate reader. In a Thanksgiving Day round trip on the Whitestone and Throgs Neck, I saw six troopers parked, all with their lights flashing, "Hey! I'm here." However, I did not see them go after anyone. No MTA police cars were in sight.
---
I noticed the readers on only one trunk, but attention to my driving was more important. Southbound at 4:30 p.m., the Whitestone approach was maybe 15 or 20 mph from Westchester Avenue south to the bridge, where the speed picked up. I suspect lanes lost on the right caused the slowdown, with mergers from the right. Only the 3 left lanes go under the gantry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 05:49 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
Thanks for the recent contributions to this thread, but particularly to Wordyword for the ad describing one brand of license plate reader. In a Thanksgiving Day round trip on the Whitestone and Throgs Neck, I saw six troopers parked, all with their lights flashing, "Hey! I'm here." However, I did not see them go after anyone. No MTA police cars were in sight.
---
I noticed the readers on only one trunk, but attention to my driving was more important. Southbound at 4:30 p.m., the Whitestone approach was maybe 15 or 20 mph from Westchester Avenue south to the bridge, where the speed picked up. I suspect lanes lost on the right caused the slowdown, with mergers from the right. Only the 3 left lanes go under the gantry.
The city now has undercover taxis cars, Jeep Cherokee, Nissan Altima as unmarked cars

Old 11-23-2017, 08:12 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,583,449 times
Default High percentage of criminals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYS troopers and NYS police patrol NYC transit hubs such as LGA, JFK, MTA Penn Station, MTA Grand Central Terminal, Port Authority Bus Terminal, Fulton Transit Center and World Trade Center. This is where I have seen them mostly. I also saw one patrolling Yankee Stadium. NYS Troopers are at times posted at DMV locations throughout the city. Some months ago, NYPD, PAPD, MTAPD, NYSTP and Amtrak police arrived on to a minor crime scene within a flash. I have to say that NYC has way too much law enforcement these days. You also have Homeland security, FBI, ATF offices here, state and federal court officers, city, state and federal prison guards or correctional officers. This city has way too much law enforcement.
They have to be a police state because this place has such a high percentage of criminals: mafia, cartels, lower level drug dealers, robbers, murderers, rapists, pedophiles, molesters, criminally insane, ghetto violence, domestic violence, thieves, shoplifters, illegal immigration, trafficking, prostitution, swindlers, hackers, identity theft perpetrators, illegal betting & gambling, smugglers, you name it. Most of these crimes cut across all socio-economic classes.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:55 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
FYI the Bridge and Tunnel Officer cars are now painted to mimic State Trooper Cars. You can tell them apart by the plate and writing on the rear/front.

Bridge/Tunnel Police say "NEW YORK STATE" or "Highway" on the side. Trooper cars say "STATE POLICE"
Also different patch on the front doors.

For example, here is a newly painted Bridge and Tunnel car
ahhhh sneaky! Did not know that, I'll be on the lookout this weekend

Old 11-23-2017, 08:57 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the troopers were given special readers that can get a notification when a driver passes through the toll readers has not paid the past tolls they owe . they can then run them down and catch them .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Correct, State Troopers, NYPD and Bridge/Tunnel Police have had LPR's installed on their cars for years. As you drive by it runs your plate against a known database of wanted criminals, people who have outstanding warrants, outstanding fines, etc. Basically they can program it to whatever they are looking for.
I don't think he was talking about LPR's, I think he was talking about relay devices that get a notice from the EZ-Pass / Plate readers when cars with no plates or outstanding tolls get onto the bridge. They get images of the car and run them down before they get off the bridge

Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 AM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
You see them heavy in Upstate, Western, Capital region of NY state now going patrol city highways more now. I saw couple of them hiding in NYC highways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IikYfASSI0

Old 07-02-2018, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 468 times
Default State Trooper in Queens

I know that this thread is quite old but..

Just saw a blue state trooper car (blue car with gold letters), on Northern Blvd towards Manhattan right before the BQE.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:51 PM

106,732 posts, read 108,937,910 times
come to bay terrace here in bayside queens by the bridges , they are here daily . but if you look at the door they are a special detail. they are state police but with bridge and tunnel emblems

Old 07-02-2018, 03:10 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
I saw one today who had a van pulled over near the WTC/WFC area on West Street.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:29 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
I have not seen a state trooper in NYC since 1970.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City