Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times

Advertisements

I left the city for a job in the 90s and missed NY terribly. I remember sitting in front of my TV cheering wildly when the NY Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994. That's how bad I missed NY. I NEVER watch hockey. I hadn't before then, and I haven't watched any since. Just not my sport. But it was NEW YORK for Chirssake! So I took in every minute. I'll always remember that day how proud I was to be a New Yorker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,770 times
I think weather it's for school, a job, or just leisure travel, everyone should get out of NY. Just to get a different perspective, and realize that the world is much bigger than just NYC; I've actually met people who have never been outside of their own borough I went away for school, and enjoyed my time away from the City, but i am happy to be living in the city I was raised in for now, lets see what the future holds.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM

162 posts, read 459,388 times
The first time I left, it was because my father got a job at a clinic in Michigan, and I remember being devastated. So I came back after college but left a few years after for a job in the Tampa, FL area (wasn't a fan). After that, I moved to Chicago (which would be my second choice after NYC), am now in DC (relocated with same Chicago org), and am moving back to NYC in just six weeks.

Throughout the years, I have spent vacations in and visited NYC, and each time, it was harder and harder for me to leave. Having lived in these different areas, nothing has felt 100% home to me like NYC has. I think I missed the convenience of things/places, the crowds of diversity, the mass transit (which trumps all of the aforementioned), and the fact that most of my family is out this way.

I can honestly say (although never say never) that if it's up to me, I will never leave NYC again.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,818,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Stagger left in March of last year...and yet here he is still voraciously scouring the NYC city-data site daily. Interesting.
Yeah...and I got to NY1.com and NYTimes every day too.
Whats so interesting about that?
I still have family there.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Just goes to show...you can leave NYC, but NYC doesn't leave you. Why leave if you are living here vicariously through TV, internet, and dreams?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,818,188 times
Dreams?
Dreams of NYC?
I left Manhattan for a better quality of life.
I still have interest in knowing the goings on of the city. Why wouldn't I?
I don't see where your going with this.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
Nothing wrong with helping out people in an area you grew up in or know well. Even after I leave NYC I would still be able to give advice on this city, because some things never change. My family will still be here (for a few more years anyway) so just because you moved from a place doesn't mean you're not knowledgable about it.

As for me, I've lived in various parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Suffolk County. The only reason I came back to Brooklyn from Suffolk County was the mindset there at least with women. They seemed personally offended if you said you didn't want kids, and all they cared about was what designer you were wearing, and what school their kids would attend. Maybe that is the norm in a lot of places, but I knew I could never be in that "soccer mom driving the SUV, with the kids teachers on speed dial" type of life.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,280 times
I haven't left NYC yet (hope to do so soon) so can't really give my personal opinion on this. I do know quite a bit of people who leave and then come back. I had one lady say "it's like a medicine you have to take." I personally can't see myself doing this but you never know. Right now, I hate it here, but one always has a tendency to look back on things with fondness, even when, in reality, things weren't that great.

I just know that as I get older, I seem to be able to tolerate the cold less and less so I am really looking forward to moving to a warm climate.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I haven't left NYC yet (hope to do so soon) so can't really give my personal opinion on this. I do know quite a bit of people who leave and then come back. I had one lady say "it's like a medicine you have to take." I personally can't see myself doing this but you never know. Right now, I hate it here, but one always has a tendency to look back on things with fondness, even when, in reality, things weren't that great.

I just know that as I get older, I seem to be able to tolerate the cold less and less so I am really looking forward to moving to a warm climate.
That is what drives people back. If you move someplace and just compare it to NYC all the time, you will drive yourself nuts. Just like you shouldn't compare a new partner to your old one, you shouldn't do the same with a job or location. Every person and place is unique with its own pros and cons like anything else. It's whether you choose to accept them is what makes the difference.

I just find myself less stressed out when I visit other cities, and I've been to a lot of places.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
That is what drives people back. If you move someplace and just compare it to NYC all the time, you will drive yourself nuts. Just like you shouldn't compare a new partner to your old one, you shouldn't do the same with a job or location. Every person and place is unique with its own pros and cons like anything else. It's whether you choose to accept them is what makes the difference.

I just find myself less stressed out when I visit other cities, and I've been to a lot of places.
Very well said. I agree with you 100%. I also find myself much less stressed out when I visit other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City