Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times

Advertisements

I left for higher ed in boston and chicago, and liked both those cities.

I then lived in Jacksonville Florida, and absolutely hated it (and tried to move back to NYC)

I then moved to Baltmore, which I loved. I moved for a job to the DC metro area, and have lived in Northern Virginia for almost 20 years. I don't particularly like the suburb I currently live in, and am scheming to move to a more urban part of metro DC. I get back to NYC a fair amount, and enjoy that, and think fondly of NYC. Whether I would ever move back would depend on specifics, including income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
I've been back and forth across the Hudson...and now I'm back for good.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 PM

237 posts, read 330,114 times
I left in '94 to move to Hollywood. I'm an actor. Went back last year, for a few months, considering whether to stay or go back to l.a. I came back to l.a a few months ago, tying up loose ends, and I'm moving back to NY(or nearby) for good. Several reasons: career-wise, film/tv opportunities in NY have skyrocketed, so you no longer HAVE to live in l.a., also, I feel I can find "regular" work in NYC a little easier than I can in l.a. Right now; most of my family is in the tri-state area; and, to be brutally honest, I've always loved NY over L.A. I have no ties here; no wife/kids/dog. I can do the same thing I do in L.A. in NY now, and actually live in a city I like

Old 04-21-2012, 10:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
I lived in NYC back in 1998-2000...it was the best american city I have ever lived in. I've also lived in Minneapolis, Portland, San Francisco, etc.

If I were to back to any city that I've lived in before, I'd go back to NYC.

That being said, there are a few other American cities I'm more interested in at this time.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:05 AM

100 posts, read 248,892 times
I lived in Queens for 24 years then Westchester county for 21 years. I knew it was time to leave - i was sick of commuting in traffic 2hrs each way, paying $10,000 in taxes for 1400 square feet, and meeting people who worshipped the god of money. We moved to New Braunfels, Texas (yes - Texas) because it is close enough, yet far enough away from two cities (Austin & San Antonio), we escaped the winter, & able to build a custom home that would cost at least $1 million dollars in NY metro area. I agree with other posters you can't compare your new home to NYC - there are many trade offs. My family still lives in NYC & on a visit "home" last month my husband said the visit confirmed that our decision to relocate was a good one !

Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,354,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Just curious as the BF and I are both born and bred Brooklynites and looking to move out this year. I've heard stories from people who left and were happy for it, but others who came back as well. Was wondering if anyone had stories to share of either case and why? I'm a research queen, so we won't go anywhere without doing our homework, just looking for some insight here from people who have done it.

Thanks in advance.

My wife and I left in '95 and we have been trying to move back for years. She got a great job, but we hope to be back someday in Manhattan. There is no place like NYC. She is from there and I've lived there three times, once right by Pratt Institute. NYC is the cultural centre of the universe and no place compares.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Man I wish I could trade with you. I lived in Colorado for 4 years and have regretted coming back here ever since I first got off the plane.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 AM

20 posts, read 43,859 times
My husband and I are leaving NYC this fall. I lived in the area for 10 years. NYC was always my dream as a little girl and I had a real blast for all of these years. I love NYC and there is NOWHERE in the world like it. However, over the past couple of years, I have watched so many of my friends trickle out into other parts of the country. Those who have moved to interesting, vibrant cities like Austin, Portland, San Francisco, LA, etc all say the same thing - they are so happy there, they will always miss NYC, but not enough to leave where they are now. I am feeling tired of the same little island, the same kind of existence every day here. I'm tired of having no disposable income!! We moved out to CT last year. The rising costs of rent, the cockroaches, the subway, the trudging around through rain and sleet and nasty heat with all your crap - the unfortunate realities of living in NYC as a non-millionaire late 20-something.....we couldn't take it anymore! we wanted trees, plants, quiet, etc but we didn't want to move to the boonies. I was scared to move far from NYC, where I feel tied to after all these years. So we moved essentially to the suburbs. It's lovely out there - particularly now, in spring, we'd sit on the deck and watch the dogwood and apple blossoms blowing in the breeze, walk to the beach, etc - and all only an 1.5 hr commute to midtown. When I lived in Manhattan, we lived up in inwood, and the commute was 45 min-2 hrs depending on where and what time. In the burbs, I sit on a cushy train that runs basically on schedule and my stress level has gone WAY down.

It's still not enough, though. The problem with CT is that we don't like the community, and suburban living is not for us. And frankly, it helped us realize that it really is time to leave this whole area. We're heading West. We are artists and NY is just not that great for artists right now - the whole "been there done that" mentality, the recession affecting major cultural institutions in the city, the rat race, etc...seems like there are just more opportunities for young creative types out West right now in general.

I know I will ALWAYS miss New York. There is nowhere that quite compares. But you get to a point in your life when you wonder if all of the stress and frustration and exhaustion is worth it (and for some, it truly is, and that's great) - if you'd rather try someplace new and see if it fits better. We'll still be coming back many times a year. And either way, NY will always be there.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
My parents bought a house in the suburbs of New Jersey when I was 13. I hated it from Day One, resolved to move back to the city, and did. As a direct result of this experience, I concluded that anyone who desires living in the suburbs will be getting precisely what they deserve!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Man I wish I could trade with you. I lived in Colorado for 4 years and have regretted coming back here ever since I first got off the plane.
I've only heard good things about Colorado.
What's the vibe there? Plenty of young folks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City