Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby23 View Post
If you enjoy beautiful places such as Colorado or parts of Florida you will not enjoy New York. It is a dirty filthy expensive dump. Manhattan has its nice parts and its charm, however Im afraid that is all. If you cant afford to live in Manhattan then don't bother.

I was born and raised in northern Queens. I am moving to Denver at the end of the month and I cannot wait to get out of here!
Lucky you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM

12 posts, read 22,387 times
Default Missing "The City"

I grew up a military brat living in many different areas (I grew up in overseas in Munich) and seen many other areas of the world so I think I've developed a keen sense of where I want to end up. I also understand that I am a transplant, but I do consider New York home, its the longest place I have ever lived, and I plan on being here awhile. Moved up to New York 7.5 years ago, into a tiny 2 BR (the second BR technically had a window) in Hells Kitchen where me and my better half spent 7 years. This winter, we decided to move out of "The City" to see what it might be like. After 4 months the itch to get back into Manhattan is strong. Forest Hills is nice, especially since the LIRR stop is around the corner from our apartment, but its not the same.

There are things to like about Forest Hills, but the price of admission to Manhattan is worth it, and we'll be back when our lease is up.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM

16 posts, read 72,921 times
Well the saying is true for me. You never know what you have til it's gone. That's exactly how I felt when I left NY for AZ about three yrs ago. Stayed in AZ, got frustrated and returned. Never regretted leaving that place. You really will fantasize about the bodegas, the countless restaurants on every block, being able to simply glance out your window and witness so much activity (I lived in Clinton Hills Brooklyn, now in LI). No other place is as diverse, interesting and exciting.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
To each his own. I moved from Florida to NYC when I was 19 and felt like I was home for the first time in my life. NYC in your 20s is FANTASTIC.

But after a decade, with increasing crime and quality of life issues, I was fed up. I moved progressively farther west, and now live in Pa. Ironically, I now have a job in NYC again, and commute by bus back into the city every day. I could not live here again. I have gotten spoiled with a spacious house, our 6-plus acres of woods, and kayaking on our creek. It's awesome to wake up to complete serenity every morning.

It also is great not to have to lock your doors, and know there's a parking space at the end of a long day.

But everyone has different priorities and values different things. That's what keeps NY as vibrant as it is - the constant influx of new people ready to conquer the city.
To be fair, at 19, you're happy to be independent, and are more willing to live with less, deal with "grit" and crime, especially if it otherwise means you're getting some freedom and life experience you didn't previously have.

Whether you realize it or not, you're still proving his point, by the fact that you still got tired of it, and now enjoy the more peaceful life, apart from your commute. If you never got tired of the city, that would be one thing; Otherwise your story isn't too different from those moving to NYC who move elsewhere, or eventually settle down in the suburbs after getting tired of the compromises I've listed.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,989 times
Unfortunately, no matter how much research you do, you'll have to experience it for yourself, no one can advise you on feelings. Personally, I miss NY more than ever, and the beauty I see daily, only feet from the ocean, runs deep only superficially. And it's difficult to make the move back--marooned, that's what I am. Hopefully, soon, I will get back to my 'homeland.'

Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Just curious as the BF and I are both born and bred Brooklynites and looking to move out this year. I've heard stories from people who left and were happy for it, but others who came back as well. Was wondering if anyone had stories to share of either case and why? I'm a research queen, so we won't go anywhere without doing our homework, just looking for some insight here from people who have done it.

Thanks in advance.
I left NYC and then returned after 2 years as I found it was the best place for me to be.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:57 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,487 times
I left and regretted it every day before I had enough saved to come back. I tried Chicago briefly, thinking it was a better choice due to lower COL and being closer to family. I was painfully unhappy each day there. It truly became clear it WAS a second-rate city (for me anyway, everyone is different). I was the happiest girl in the world the day I came back. I have learned to appreciate that which before was taken for granted. You often don't know how good you really have it until you leave for awhile. I don't plan on ever moving again, even though I do miss my family a lot at times. It has gotten better as now both my mom and dad are retired, so they have time to take long train rides and spend a few days visiting. Which might sound annoying but is very reassuring. They get a free place to stay and enjoy real culture. I get the piece of mind of seeing familiar faces. It ends up being a win-win for all involved. The only problem is my mom is starting to love it here so much she never wants to leave, lol.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 01-12-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
I'm a native and I left NYC for 6 years for medical residency training. I always knew I would return to practice medicine in NYC, but living in the midwest made me appreciate NYC 1,000,000 x more than when I was living here.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:02 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I left NYC 2 years ago when my company relocated me to Atlanta, GA (A re-lo that I initiated). I was a NYer who took full advantage of the entire city, all 4 boros (Staten Island is still a mystery to me).

I will always love, respect NYC and be thankful that I grew up in NYC before it became somewhat commercialized and watered down. But sadly, alot of NYers don't realize is that there is more to the world then NYC. After spending time with my best friend who currently lives in Melbourne, Aus I realized you can be happy anywhere, because happiness is up to the individual.

Also I realized, why sacrifice QUALITY OF LIFE just to live in the "cool city", because after you grow up you don't collect "cool points" for substandard living conditions. Besides the street being dirty and rat infested, just the quality of housing is horrendous. I understand all the reasons why (older city, lack of space, etc), but I just got tired of it.

It's funny, all my native NYer friends were all for the move and all my transplant friends were against it which I understand too. They probably spent their childhoods dreaming about living in NY, and by growing up "cool" (a joke), I took the city for granted. I may move back one day for a lucrative opportunity, but it will be hard re-adjusting; cramp substandard housing, no parking, the rats, and the chain stores and restaurants on every corner now (wow sounds alot more like Kansas now).

To answer the question, 2 years out, so far so good!

Update - 4 years out, and still all good.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:27 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,994,117 times
I moved here about 15 years ago from the suburbs of Boston following our daughter who had come here to school and decided to stay. After all that time I still miss "home" ie Boston but my wife from the same place now claims and wants to be a NYer. I traveled a fair amount in my work and got my fix for other places that way but it does not come down to Boston or New York it comes down to the city versus the suburbs or rural. I think it is great that born and bred NYers love their city but understand that others from other places can feel the same way about the far away lands. As for me if I had my way we would head to the shores of the ocean in no name town Maine and rock on the front porch overlooking the ocean but until then I will just be content watching my Red Sox beat up on the Yankees and my Patriots winning another super bowl and telling anyone who will listen or read my shirts "they are my boys"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City