Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM

155 posts, read 445,748 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I moved to NYC straight out of college and lived there for three years. We moved back to Virginia after my dad died and just bought a house here. There were a lot of things I grew to dislike about living in NYC, and I thought it would fade quickly. I can honestly say that I miss it every day and still harbor dreams of one day going back. Really, even though we made substantially more there than most in our age group, it just wasn't financially feasible anymore. All of our friends still in NYC are in the early 30s with no savings to speak of. I can't live with that kind of insecurity; it's fun for a few years but I couldn't have done it for a decade or more, even though I (for the most part) loved the city. But that doesn't change the fact that my heart breaks every time I think about our apartment, our block, our restaurants, our subway station, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Well, this month has made a decade that I've been gone from NYC.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 AM

249 posts, read 424,996 times
My family moved out of the city when I was in elementary school, which was almost 30 years ago.

When I entered the working world, I took a job overseas and thought that I'd wait to move back to NYC because it was so expensive.

Unfortunately, the costs of living in NYC rise a lot faster than my income does!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 AM

311 posts, read 451,113 times
Moved out last summer for a new gig, and I was a NY transplant. There are times I think about my friends, my old apartment, the streets, the food, the parks, the subway and buses, everything, and feel a tinge of nostalgia. There really is nothing quite like the city. I find myself comparing NY to where I am now, though it is an unfair comparison I can't help doing so. I think NY is "everyone's" home no matter if they are from there, and what they make it out to be.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Moved in, moved out, moved back in, moved back out.
Now I'm back in Manhattan and there will be no more moves...I'm home.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 PM

132 posts, read 282,789 times
I grew up on Staten Island and lived there for many years. Four years ago, though, I moved from Staten Island to New Jersey, and life has been different since then.

At first, the move was rough, but I got used to where I currently live. So, do I miss New York City? Not quite, since the island has changed dramatically throughout the years since mass development first began in the 1960s. I don't miss the traffic, people, etc. I feel rather strange when I visit from time to time, but I suppose this is normal.

Don't get me wrong. New York City is a nice place to visit, due to the significant diversity in society and what not, but I wouldn't live there again.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,136 times
My husband and I left and now are actually able to save for retirement. I know it's great to live in Manhattan but honestly, as a parent, it just is too expensive for us. We will always miss NYC but we made the right decision for our family. No regrets!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,997 times
Moved, thought I missed it. But as years have gone by, and after several visits (especially during the winter), I can objectively say that leaving was definately one of the top 3 decisions as an adult Ive made in my life. The friends I left behind their literally only seem happy on holidays or maybe on a sunny Saturday.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:30 AM

89 posts, read 123,919 times
If you can afford it, by all means stay! Can't beat everything the area has to offer (we know, as we left for 3 years and returned). Unfortunately many former middle-class residents and younger people can no longer afford it.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Don't miss NYC, because I'm in NJ and work in NYC. Part of the pay is to cross into NYC and deal with all of the daily struggles here.

Nothing like leaving NYC everyday after work!

Main reason I wouldn't live here is not the cost, it's the toll that it has on you over time.

You must be on alert every moment in NYC, something can or could happen. Like I was walking outside and a woman lost her feet because a cab crashes into the sidewalk. It was on the news and could've been me since I was close. She was unlucky but she is also a tourist and they have their heads up all the time and not paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City