Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times

Advertisements

That was too long for me to read but I am sure there was something of value somewhere in it. I guess I will never know.

If you believe we live in a meritocracy, and everyone is equal, and the system is set up for everyone to succeed and if you don't it's your own fault because everything is in your total control, and racism/sexism and all the other isms are just unfortunate footnotes in our distant past, there is nothing left to say.

Good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM

31 posts, read 68,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That was too long for me to read but I am sure there was something of value somewhere in it. I guess I will never know.

If you believe we live in a meritocracy, and everyone is equal, and the system is set up for everyone to succeed and if you don't it's your own fault because everything is in your total control, and racism/sexism and all the other isms are just unfortunate footnotes in our distant past, there is nothing left to say.

Good day.

Hey fun blaming everyone else for your shortcomings...

Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
So because Obama is president that means every Black person has the ability to do so, they just choose not to. Got it. It's their fault.

Obama was raised by whites. He therefore doesnt have some of the issues that most AAs might have. Fear of whites and an assumption that most whites have a vested interest in their failure. Given his high exposure to white Americans he knows that for every white who wihes his demise there is another who is proud of his success, and that most are probably too fixated with their own persoal problems to care.

Socially segregated from whites most AAs dont know this.....and so are very conservative in their dealing with whites the way some one might be with a dog which they dont know. Foreign blacks do not have past patterns of anti black attitudes as a template to inform their belief contemporary racial attitudes of whites.

Face it the fact that racism is less of an issue today than it was 20 years ago doesnt mean that the scars dont live on.

I mentioned before what happens to many of the kids of black immigrants compare dto their peers still living back home. These kids often develop a sense of limitation by virtue of being black. A newly arrived black immigrant has less of this so is better positioned to take advantage of opportunities, and is more likely to set whites at ease. This is where the "myth" of foreign black "supreiority" comes in. An AA raised in majority white suburbs will be no differet.

Just as how most white Americans appear to have the belief that most AAs have an irrational hatred of them (interesting given that AAs worship a white image every Sunday....some even becoming enraged if it is suggested that an image more closely resembling them can be offered as an alternative). So too do AAs have similar apprehensions of whites. The older they are the stronger their beliefs are.

You see the legacy of institutional racism is such that both US raised blacks and whites have similar attitudes towards AAs because of the public portrayal of that group. Indeed how many people know that there has been a sharp increase in the enrollment of AAs in college over the past 30 years? Most AAs and whites talk instead about failing black males at the other end of the acheivement spectrum.

A Nigerian or a Jamaican might find such a fixation on black failure is odd, given the numerous examples of black success in their homelands. Unfortunately their perspective towards AAs often falls into the model often perpetrated by BOTH black and white Americans.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:19 AM

31 posts, read 68,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Obama was raised by whites. He therefore doesnt have some of the issues that most AAs might have. Fear of whites and an assumption that most whites have a vested interest in their failure. Given his high exposure to white Americans he knows that for every white who wihes his demise there is another who is proud of his success, and that most are probably too fixated with their own persoal problems to care.

Socially segregated from whites most AAs dont know this.....and so are very conservative in their dealing with whites the way some one might be with a dog which they dont know. Foreign blacks do not have past patterns of anti black attitudes as a template to inform their belief contemporary racial attitudes of whites.

Face it the fact that racism is less of an issue today than it was 20 years ago doesnt mean that the scars dont live on.

I mentioned before what happens to many of the kids of black immigrants compare dto their peers still living back home. These kids often develop a sense of limitation by virtue of being black. A newly arrived black immigrant has less of this so is better positioned to take advantage of opportunities, and is more likely to set whites at ease. This is where the "myth" of foreign black "supreiority" comes in. An AA raised in majority white suburbs will be no differet.

Just as how most white Americans appear to have the belief that most AAs have an irrational hatred of them (interesting given that AAs worship a white image every Sunday....some even becoming enraged if it is suggested that an image more closely resembling them can be offered as an alternative). So too do AAs have similar apprehensions of whites. The older they are the stronger their beliefs are.

You see the legacy of institutional racism is such that both US raised blacks and whites have similar attitudes towards AAs because of the public portrayal of that group. Indeed how many people know that there has been a sharp increase in the enrollment of AAs in college over the past 30 years? Most AAs and whites talk instead about failing black males at the other end of the acheivement spectrum.

A Nigerian or a Jamaican might find such a fixation on black failure is odd, given the numerous examples of black success in their homelands. Unfortunately their perspective towards AAs often falls into the model often perpetrated by BOTH black and white Americans.
Almost everything you just wrote is flat out stupid and racist.

"Obama was raised by whites. He therefore doesnt have some of the issues that most AAs might have."

Who cares who he was raised by? The point is that certain posters on here that are black keep saying that America is unwilling to accept a successful black man, but obviously that's not the case because the majority of voters elected him.

"Given his high exposure to white Americans..."

Really? Only upper class black kids raised by a white parent have a "high exposure" to white people? We live in NYC, every race in this city has "high exposure" to every other race. White people aren't some alien race living in a far away land that only well off black kids can visit. Also stop referring to other races as if they are a disease that others are "exposed" to.

"You see the legacy of institutional racism is such that both US raised blacks and whites have similar attitudes towards AAs because of the public portrayal of that group."

Black people contribute to the media portrayal. It would be much harder for racists to portray black people as ignorant/violent/dishonesty/whatever stereotype if black people didn't support and allow their children to idolize gangster rappers and the "ghetto" image. Stereotypes exist because a portion of whatever group that is being stereotyped acts in that manner....i.e. nerdy Asians, Irish drunks, cheap Jews, etc.

The fact that you refer to black people as "African American" and white people simply as "whites" really shows how you view people of another race. African Americans aren't the only race that has a continent of origin. I'm not saying I'd like to be referred to as "European American". Lets drop the PC nonsense and just consider ourselves American of (insert nationality here) descent.

So many black people in the U.S. refuse to have anything to do with people of other races and then cry racism when those other ethnic groups go on about their lives. The Irish and the Chinese faced HORRIBLE discrimination when they arrived in this country and both have moved on an assimilated themselves into American culture. You don't believe me? Googe search "Anti Irish/Chinese politcal cartoons".

Old 06-02-2012, 05:04 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
I had two mentors in high school. The female mentor was conservative while the male mentor was liberal. Both were African-American, and both were dedicated to teaching in the predominantly Black school that I was in, in addition to other schools where they taught.

I always wondered why my female mentor was conservative, and particularly, why she always hated New York (she worked here, but didn't live here!). It took me until years later to figure it out, years after she passed. Here was what I believed was her theory....

Here's the City of New York, the model of social liberalism. However, through its school system, in her opinion, the city treated its persons of color like crap, with segregated and supbar schools. My mentor, through 30 years teaching in the school system, saw what she believed was a hypocrisy; a liberal city with a segregated educational system. I truly believed that this hypocrisy shaped her conservativism.

Oh, yeah, and although my male teacher was liberal, he saw the hypocrisy, too! And he's still around to talk about it!

I have many other teachers who influenced me, from all backgrounds. But I am truly grateful for the two mentors I had in high school. They both, from opposite sides of the political spectrum, gave us in our school, most of whom were Black, a great education and a sense of hope!

A side note: I'm reading two autobiographies, right now, one on Donna Brazille, Al Gore's campaign manager, and one on Ed Perkins, Reagan's ambassador to South Africa and Bush's ambassador to the UN. My two mentors in high school have influenced me to see both sides of the political coin! Peace!

Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM

559 posts, read 1,112,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I came across this article on the NYT. What do our guys think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ed...agewanted=1&hp

So far its a sad look at our segregated school system. Being liberal as the NYT is, I wonder if the readers on the UWS who have a high readership of the NYT and aswells as NYT writers and editors of all races if they send thier kids to private schools? After reading this article, I am loss for words. Just glad taht I dont have any kids at the moment and dont have to worry about selecting what school that child has to enroll into. When New Yorkers two generations ago fought segregation in the south via freedom rides, they kept segregation in live and well here in NYC. I learned alot of great things attending NYC public schools I dont think it was that bad when I was a youth except for teachers mocking us by calling students you inner city youths.
When you have a child yourself, I bet you'll also want the best school for them, even if it has very few nonwhite kids.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
it's as if my great-great-grandfather was purposefully poisoned and could never walk again, and then passed that inability to walk to his offspring....they would be permanently at a disadvantage...and that is where we are today.
It's as if you made some crazy analogy, and I replied, and then you made an even crazier analogy, and I gave up trying to understand it or reaon with you.
Quote:
Conversely, if you believe that we live in a caste-like society, where no one is equal, and the system is set up for only a select few to succeed, and if you don't, it's just the way things are, and it's not your fault, because nothing is in your control, and racism/sexism/other -isms are as fully active as they have always been, and there's been no change or progress, and there never will be, then there is nothing more to say.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
When you have a child yourself, I bet you'll also want the best school for them, even if it has very few nonwhite kids.
You know what I'm just one of the lucky few who come from one of the so called poorest environments in the country who did not get caught up in the prison industrial complex or the child support industrial complex, or into the debt crisis and still live in the hood problems free. I'm just a needle in a haystack where I live. As for me having kids? Not in this economy and plus the way how typical NYC women are with right away taking a dude to child support court and than upgrade you for someone else, nah I'm good. If I was to have a kid in the hood I'm moving the kid and my lady out to greener pastures if not I will let the kid suck it up and be a man and attend a NYC public school and try to be the best and become involved in the kids education which many parents in NYC lack both working class and welfare types. Busing kids to different schools for better education is time consuming and costly but also worth it to some extent unless you have time and money for that as well as a support system of relatives and friends who pitch in.

Sad thing I noticed about parents in NYC wanting better education for their kids is that these parents screwed their lives up pretty early like dropping out of school, going to jail or getting pregnant early and never utilize education from the get go and now these under privilege parents flock for seats at the nearest charter school opening. For some of these parents the education system was slightly better back in the day compared to now. Some of these parents had opportunities to improve their lives but end up getting stuck in the cycle of deprivation which persists in many poor communities whose residents make the same mistakes as their predecessors before them even if they knew better . It all sounds like a conspiracy to me.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-03-2012 at 12:51 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 AM

167 posts, read 306,207 times
the public school system is broken

you really shouldn't waste energy on it

kids that make it through are either self motivated enough for many kinds of environments, or have a good enough family support group

others drop out. GEDs aren't a death sentence.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Bigjake..your assumption is incorrect. I acknowledge that we do NOT live in a meritocracy where everyone is equal...you believe we do. That does not mean I think everything is out of your control and you will always be at the bottom...but the system is set-up such that as few people get to the top as possible and we have evolved into a society where we need a permanent underclass (legal slavery) to do all the menial jobs, and corporations pawn off as much responsibility for their employees on to the government (aka taxpayers) as possible (healthcare, housing, food etc..with poverty wages government picks up all the slack and companies keep all the money).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City