Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 04:42 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Factually, either.

What an example of brilliant writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM

341 posts, read 902,830 times
My mom went to a predominantly black/Puerto Rican high school. She transferred out after getting jumped by 6 Ricans for her sneakers and also because they didn't like that she was "smart" and liked answering question in class.

So yeah, where the white/Asian kids at?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And how would that change the fact that disproportionate numbers of black and latin kids are failing. They dont ask race in France yet its well known most Arab and blacks are doing poorly, most likely worse than blacks and latins in the USA.

Yes its simplistic to look just at race....class is equally important...but race is a factor.
I see a certain theme that is played out in the entire world. A particular race of people continue to fail no matter what country they live in. But they don't want to help themselves.

We will always have a permanent underclass and a certain race will always fill that position. Oh well.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM

I do agree though that race plays a role in many factors.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTINsf View Post
I do agree though that race plays a role in many factors.
In track and field yes.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,177 times
I was just reading this and saw some stuff about Jim Crow so I will comment. What does Jim Crow have to do with New York? That was only southern states and there were actually a lot of successful southern free blacks in the slavery days who did better than whites owning slaves. Read this. Free blacks only had it bad in the south after the Civil War when the Jim Crow Laws were passed.

americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsh View Post
I was just reading this and saw some stuff about Jim Crow so I will comment. What does Jim Crow have to do with New York? That was only southern states and there were actually a lot of successful southern free blacks in the slavery days who did better than whites owning slaves. Read this. Free blacks only had it bad in the south after the Civil War when the Jim Crow Laws were passed.

americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners
What Jim Crow has to do with NYC is the IRONY. NYC and rest of the north fought off any form of segregation that was going on in the south, like for example those two Jewish kids that got killed in Mississippi where did they come? NYC obviously because its synonamous for Jews, but they did come from NYC. Others from NYC went to the south and Protest in freedom rides, but sadly we kept segregation alive, silently up here. Should quality of education be equal amongts all New Yorkers of different classes?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,177 times
Regarding education, the reality is that most white parents don't want their kids going to predominantly black/hispanic schools because of the dominant "ghetto" culture. There are parts of Alabama that are 50% white and 50% black but the public schools are 98% black. The problem with the black youth is a desire to want to be the next Michael Jordan instead of the next Bill Gates. At the end of the day, its up to the individual and the family to pursue education and be successful. The state can only do so much.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Maybe I missed the whole "white kids culture of wanting to be the next bill gates" during my travels and experiences in USA. What I saw was white priviledge run rampant, the kids partying as much as possible and doing whatever it is they wanted, and their underperformance typically did not negatively impact their futures = white priviledge. They still entered various careers just fine because of parents relationships, networks, etc and life went on as usual.

Now contrast that with those colored folks who do work hard, and do all the right things, but oftentimes it doesn't matter because they don't "fit the part." They don't have parents/grandparents/family members who are well connected, because they too were excluded for the same reasons. They don't have accumulated, generational wealth because they were never able to participate in wealth generation, so they don't have parents to support them or provide a legup during hard times.

It may be up to the individual and the family to pursue education, but NOT to be successful. You need to live in a colorblind meritocracy in order for it to simply "be up to you to be successful." You can be as smart and great as anyone, but if nobody wants to hire you because you are XYZ, life will be very difficult, and success near impossible...it takes many people, resources, working together for YOU to be successful. If you only have 1 aspect, education, to be successful, while everything else is eliminated from you (other resources, people, opportunities, etc), success is near impossible.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
the best schools in the city are like 90% asian

asians are only 10% of the population
From what I've heard many colleges have quotas on how many Asians they allow in each year. It's really affirmative action for whites because Asians surpass them in grades and probably accomplishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City