Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Not SI Tech, but that's because SI obviously has a lot of White kids. But still, in a borough that's only 7% Asian, it manages to have a student body population that's 24% Asian. (I could've sworn it used to be higher. I remember seeing 31% a couple of years ago).
Here is the info from insideschools.org

Staten Island Technical High School

Enrollment: 1104
Attendance: 95.9%
Free Lunch: 19.8%
Admissions: exam
Ethnicity %: 63 W | 2 B | 5 H | 30 A

Graduation Rate: 100%
Graduation Rate Six Years: 100%
Special Education: 1.1%
College Ready: 100%
College Enrollment: 99%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
The stellar question I ask is-

What if we stop looking at, and asking race of children?

Is there even a point to tracking it if we are unwilling to make any claims or changes from that evidence?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
it's a shame so many people grow up neglected
that society can't even really figure it out.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
So many from brutalized backgrounds confuse self-control for meekness, conflate swagger with strength and think that politeness means weakness.

You mean white males from brutalize backgrounds who make this stereutypical judgements of Asian males while they judge black men using completely opposite stereotypes.

When last bI checked those making the judgements were mainly white males.

Asian-Americans are not Moving Up in Corporate America, Despite Ivy League Schools – Job Mouse

Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Virtually every new small business that opens in my neighborhood now is owned by Asians.A disproportionally high number of apartments and houses are also being bought by Asians.

Yes many Asians, feeling stymied by lack of equitable treatment in the corporate world, find other areas to succeed. Most Asian immigrants are highly educated people....some Chinese being an exception to this.

I have a feeling that if the corporate world were more welcoming opening small businesses in the ghetto would seem less appealing.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The stellar question I ask is-

What if we stop looking at, and asking race of children?

Is there even a point to tracking it if we are unwilling to make any claims or changes from that evidence?

And how would that change the fact that disproportionate numbers of black and latin kids are failing. They dont ask race in France yet its well known most Arab and blacks are doing poorly, most likely worse than blacks and latins in the USA.

Yes its simplistic to look just at race....class is equally important...but race is a factor.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You mean white males from brutalize backgrounds who make this stereutypical judgements of Asian males while they judge black men using completely opposite stereotypes.

When last bI checked those making the judgements were mainly white males.

Asian-Americans are not Moving Up in Corporate America, Despite Ivy League Schools – Job Mouse
Give it a decade or two. They're underrepresented at the C-level now, but they're working their way up there. The average age of a Fortune 500 CEO is 56 years old, meaning they would've graduated college in the late 70's, when Asian-Americans weren't as well represented in the elite universities as they are now.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And how would that change the fact that disproportionate numbers of black and latin kids are failing. They dont ask race in France yet its well known most Arab and blacks are doing poorly, most likely worse than blacks and latins in the USA.

Yes its simplistic to look just at race....class is equally important...but race is a factor.
but the school systems, in response to these issues- will never make assumptions or systematic research based on race.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:51 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
a few asians are doing better in everything than
all white americans combined? come on, man lol. don't make
me laugh. why aren't asians the majority running public office
by now then?
maybe they'd rather not cope with incessant whiners who are never satisfied (and no i don't mean congress - i mean delusional/problematic members of the public, many of whom aren't even citizens). just because obama sits in the oval office doesn't mean that public office is the end-all-be-all; nor does it mean public office is something everybody wants or should want.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
but the school systems, in response to these issues- will never make assumptions or systematic research based on race.

You dont get my point. In France there is no reference to race in their official stats and its illegal to do so. In France there are very well defined views towards French people of color. The fact that there is no official recognition of race/ethnicity doesnt negate the fact that overt and covert racism is widespread in France...in fact maybe in ways that will be shocking to Americans and British.
l
Refusing to identify populations statisticaly doesnt mean that people do not continue to define their race. France is a perfect example of that. Indeed middle class French people of color are way less visible than their equivalent group in the USA, and even the UK. A few years ago in ALL of France their were own two black TV anchors. One can see two black anchors on BBC reading the news TOGETHER. The black population in the UK is smaller than that of France.

If a problem exists it doesnt go away because one refuses to talk OFFICIALLY about it.

BTW I have heard enough Black French professionals to claim that life for black professionals is much better in the USA and the UK where there is official recognition of race than in France where to discuss race in an official capacity is illegal, except with reference to immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City