Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,682,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think culture is a huge factor. The way people relate to each other in the internal workings of a home, the importance that parents place on cultivating the mind. Parents can be role models. Teaching very young children self control, not to scream, how to sit and color or behave quietly. Perhaps the biggest gift that a parent can give a child is to read to him daily. Start at a young age choosing carefully whom is acceptable as your child's friends.

People who are not willing or able to put the time into their children are treating them as animals in a barnyard and perhaps they should not have them.
Yes very much.

If we get rid of bilingual programs we would be much better off as an integrated society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM

109 posts, read 344,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I hope you know that any thing that is funded by tax and handed out in form of a check is part of welfare including social security and ssi even though the average American dont think about it.

SodaHead - Who Collects More welfare, Whites Or Blacks ?
So 61 percent of welfare recipients are White, while 33 percent are Black. (white Hispanics I guess go into the white category here)

But 63 % of Americans are white (78% if you count white Hispanics) and 13% are black.

So even if you count anything that is funded by taxes and handed out in form of a check to be part of welfare, is still the black who collect more. 13% of the population collects 33% of welfare. So that article makes no sense at all. it just leaves aside the fact that white outnumber blacks 5-1 or 6-1, and just takes total amounts into consideration.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,250,497 times
Quote:
I hope you know that any thing that is funded by tax and handed out in form of a check is part of welfare including social security and ssi even though the average American dont think about it. SodaHead - Who Collects More welfare, Whites Or Blacks ?
Your theory & your link are jokes!
1990 stats? When Latinos were classified as whites?
Social Security is welfare? People pay into it for 40+ years!
Blacks are discriminated against? In NJ, blacks comprise 30% of state workers, although they are less than 15% of the population.
You need to think this through.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,085,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_queens_111 View Post
So 61 percent of welfare recipients are White, while 33 percent are Black. (white Hispanics I guess go into the white category here)

But 63 % of Americans are white (78% if you count white Hispanics) and 13% are black.

So even if you count anything that is funded by taxes and handed out in form of a check to be part of welfare, is still the black who collect more. 13% of the population collects 33% of welfare. So that article makes no sense at all. it just leaves aside the fact that white outnumber blacks 5-1 or 6-1, and just takes total amounts into consideration.
In terms of numbers its mostyl whites overall that collects welfare however blacks have a higher rate of welfare collection due to its small population. The only blacks out number whites in America is in Hiv and incarceration stats. If more blacks are on welfare than most whites which make up half the u.s population I should just believe pigs fly. I practically don't care which group collects the most welfare and more poor and shame to you all, besides I'm not a white or African American so this does not effect because I'm a working man. All I know is mostly whites collect welfare benefits the most. Any way I will do my best to stay away from both black and white single mothers.

http://theobamacrat.com/2012/01/05/w...more-benefits/

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-05-2012 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,562,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They would give ANYTHING to switch places with blacks that were under Jim Crow at the time.

Just goes to show that you dont know too much. Hunger and starvation werent unknown in the South either. Or in the urban ghettoes either.

Thriving Jewish communities existed in pre Hitler Germany.

Easy to say that some one else is better off when you are caught up with your own problems.

As I said before Jews were allowed to keep their religion, values and family structures. African slaves were denied all, and indeed were considered chattel. All their ancestral identity was removed and a culture rooted in slavery replaced it. The destruction of the family and responsibility connected to such being a critical part of this.

Yes many, maybe most blacks have over come this but go to any projects and I will bet almost all of those are descended from field slaves. They just never moved beyond that mentality. Their own self imposed barriers to be certain but dont go on as if there is no context for it, or if attitudes held by many dont encourage some to go the wrong way.

Of course you forgot to mention that Jews arriving in the USA, though treated badly, enjoyed many opportunities denied to the descendands of slaves.

Your attempt to compare two groups with very different experiences in the USA fails badly.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Jews arriving in the USA, though treated badly, enjoyed many opportunities denied to the descendands of slaves.
What were those opportunities? They didn't speak the English language, couldn't get hired for most jobs, were hated as "Christ-killers" by most Christians, were barred from private colleges and clubs, had to change their names, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
What were those opportunities? They didn't speak the English language, couldn't get hired for most jobs, were hated as "Christ-killers" by most Christians, were barred from private colleges and clubs, had to change their names, etc.

Put it this way the lousy jobs that Jews got were not available to blacks in the early 20th century. Blacks had to fight hard to get a factory job that involved some thing other than sweeping. this despite tha fact that prior to 1860 blacks were OVER represented in the skiled trades.

Black women would have loved to work in the garment industry instead of standing up in the cold hoping that some white woman needed her floors scrubbed or her baby bathed. Yes they used to stand up just like todays illegals in the suburbs looking for landscaping jobs.

NOTE THAT THESE WERE NATIVE US citizens whose ancestors had arrived prior to the War of Independence, yet were considered less deserving of employment opportunities than some newly arrived hick from Poland.

Indeed blacks were displaced from many sectors when migration from Europe grew from the mid 19th century. There were whole sectors of the economy were blacks had a firm position prior to the arrival of the "unwashed" from Europe. Construction, catering, skilled trades, being a few. Read up on the history of blacks in NYC prior to the mid 1800s. Compare it to the early 20th C.

Do you know that prior to 1860 some of the best schools in NYC were run by blacks?

NYC awash with white immigrants allowed employers to push local blacks aside in favor of white immigrants.

Much has been mentioned about the post WWII GI Bill where blacks were excluded from the opportunities in housing, education and empployment available to whites.

Its clear you know nothing about the history of Black New York.

Of course you didnt know that even a free black in NYS, prior to the abolition of slavery, could be kidnapped by slave catchers and sold into slavery. After slavery ended their prospects were hardly better.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
the lousy jobs that Jews got were not available to blacks in the early 20th century.
Aside from working for their own in the garment industry, where could Jews get hired?
Quote:
Its clear you know nothing about the history of Black New York.
And someone with the screen name caribny does?
BTW, there were only 18,000 blacks in NY, Brooklyn & SI in 1870, 1.3% of the total population of 1.35 million, and 34,000 in 1890, 1.3% of 2.5 million.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 AM

109 posts, read 344,331 times
Quote:
In terms of numbers its mostyl whites overall that collects welfare however blacks have a higher rate of welfare collection due to its small population. The only blacks out number whites in America is in Hiv and incarceration stats. If more blacks are on welfare than most whites which make up half the u.s population I should just believe pigs fly. I practically don't care which group collects the most welfare and more poor and shame to you all, besides I'm not a white or African American so this does not effect because I'm a working man. All I know is mostly whites collect welfare benefits the most. Any way I will do my best to stay away from both black and white single mothers.

Welfare Recipients….Which Race Gets More Benefits? « The ObamaCrat.Com
"In terms of numbers" three Kias when added together have a top speed that beats a Ferrari. So all I know is that a Kia is faster, i don't care what anyone says.

...but that's not how statistics work.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Aside from working for their own in the garment industry, where could Jews get hired?

And someone with the screen name caribny does?
BTW, there were only 18,000 blacks in NY, Brooklyn & SI in 1870, 1.3% of the total population of 1.35 million, and 34,000 in 1890, 1.3% of 2.5 million.

Hmmm given that almost 50% of blacks in NYC are either Caribbean or descended from Caribbean migrants, and since we have always suffered from the same racism that AAs have IU suggest to you that I know more than you do. 1/3 of the slaves in NYC had Caribbean roots so we have a long history in NYC.

And yes some Jews (German and Dutch) in Europe had the opportunity to accumulate capital and business skills that slaves couldnt. So that should tell you something about why you cant compare the two.

Please dont claim that the blacks living in NYC had life good. Research about the riots in the 1860s when RECENT Irish immigrants thought that they had more rights to certain jobs than did AAs, whose ancestrors had lived in the USA since tghe 1620s. Blacks were scab labor and kept out of the unions. This is a FACT.
http://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/317749.html
So please dont invent history by pretending that blacks had a grand life in NYC and only Jew suffered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City