Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

as far as naive people allow them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The Hipsters will push very far I think, Instead of the Walking dead we have the walking hipsters! I wish they would all go away with their PBR cheap hooch, Organic coffee's, Raising bees on the roof and "Urban" farms and smugness how cool and original they are.
You either have Hipsters/Yuppies roaming the "hood" or thugs/hustlers/hoodrats roaming the "hood". Which one would you rather see? My answer is the hipsters/yuppies without a question. They symbolize positive change, thugs/hustler and hoodrats represent that same old hood sh*t that plagues inner city community. Guns, drugs, and hoes.

When you vote against or bash hipsters/yuppies for moving into the "hood", that means you are supporting the current hood element and against positive change.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
You either have Hipsters/Yuppies roaming the "hood" or thugs/hustlers/hoodrats roaming the "hood". Which one would you rather see? My answer is the hipsters/yuppies without a question. They symbolize positive change, thugs/hustler and hoodrats represent that same old hood sh*t that plagues inner city community. Guns, drugs, and hoes.

When you vote against or bash hipsters/yuppies for moving into the "hood", that means you are supporting the current hood element and against positive change.
There's another way to look at it. Now, hipsters/yuppies have money and pay taxes. Thugs/hustlers depending on government services. The former pay taxes which contribute to city services like education, transit, etc. The latter cost the city big amounts of money (dependency on welfare programs). Which is healthier for a city to have?

Also, the people who are thugs need to work to get INCOME/JOBS. Then they can afford nicer things and don't have to complain about being displaced, because if they had money they wouldn't get displaced.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It only improves the inner core and near inner core areas, but not the whole entire city. Lets see if Brownsville, Ozone Park, or East Tremont can be uplifited?
Ozone Park has more big retail stores like CVS and better grocery stores so people don't have to depend so much on crappy bodegas. Ditto even for East Tremont. I've seen renovated grocery stores all over the Bronx, renovated buildings, expansions of things like CVS, WalGreen's and Rite Aides, and other real estate redevelopments, including the building or the renovation of shopping centers. So its a city wide effect that's more pronounced closer to the core, but it has spread out big time in all 5 boroughs, everywhere. No part of the city is totally untouched.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
^I welcome the hipsters. Keep on coming. Revitalize some more neighborhoods. Draw in more amenities, events, beatification. Continue to embrace the culture in NYC.

It's the close-minded, backwards types who complain about everything who need to go... Just go to your suburb already. What are you waiting for?
That's already happening, anyway. And yes, I do like the citywide revitalization.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
^I welcome the hipsters. Keep on coming. Revitalize some more neighborhoods. Draw in more amenities, events, beatification. Continue to embrace the culture in NYC.

It's the close-minded, backwards types who complain about everything who need to go... Just go to your suburb already. What are you waiting for?
You can't be serious about the bolded. If anything they try to bring their culture to NYC, not embracing what's already here. If this wasn't the case, go check some blogs. All they do is complain about the trains, the hoods they moved into, the bums, the dirty city, the COL, etc. A lot have not been able to hack it and moved back home.

I understand about change, and have no issues with neighborhoods improving. But to say we need another cupcake shop, yoga studio or other is absurd. It's like a cleaner version of the hood where all you have is the same 5 types of businesses on every block.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
You can't be serious about the bolded. If anything they try to bring their culture to NYC, not embracing what's already here.
Completely agree !
They destroyed most of downtown. Most of them were hipsters with trust funds.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
You can't be serious about the bolded. If anything they try to bring their culture to NYC, not embracing what's already here. If this wasn't the case, go check some blogs. All they do is complain about the trains, the hoods they moved into, the bums, the dirty city, the COL, etc. A lot have not been able to hack it and moved back home.

I understand about change, and have no issues with neighborhoods improving. But to say we need another cupcake shop, yoga studio or other is absurd. It's like a cleaner version of the hood where all you have is the same 5 types of businesses on every block.
NYC is a mixture of people and ways of life. What I mean by embracing NYC culturally is that pedestrian oriented, out and about living. Embracing the arts from the music to galleries. Appreciating good food. And accepting alternative lifestyles, diversity.

I'm sure some create blogs and moan like many on here, but most like living in NYC. Or else they wouldn't.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Well, enough of them have been able to hack it that huge parts of the city are undeniably far from the same.

Basically, the complaints about hipsters are coming from an embittered group of people who did nothing to improve their leads or the city. I remember when the city was dying, losing money and businesses like mad and when everyone with money, including non whites had either left or was preparing to leave. Don't try to pretend the city was some glorious place in the early 90s, before Giuliani took over (that's really when revitalization and gentrification took over). You had massive crime, decaying buildings, and an even bigger chunk of the city had become completely dependent upon social services for everything.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The thing is this, Hipsters may move into certain neighborhoods and plant their flag as an urban adventurer and pioneer! But are Hipsters and other folks like Yuppies from picket white fenced suburbia are going to stay in the city when they or their girlfriends become pregnant especially when you factor in public schools in inner cities are horrible and will be for sometime? Unless Bloomy and friends build more 20-40k a year private schools for the masses of out of towners who want to settle in NYC, sadly most can't even afford it because Hipster/Yuppies are paying off for college tuition. Lets not forget childcare costs, expensive rents, pay for daycare services. YOu see here in NYC locals have huge family support system, a single mom from Brooklyn or Bronx does not need her boyfriend to help her raise her kid, she can depend on her mother, sister or brother to fulfill those roles. A Hipster/Yuppie who move to NYC don't have that type of physical support system like locals do besides trust fund to live in NYC in the long run.

Hipster may improve neighborhoods however they can't improve cities as a whole, especially a city where large segment of its population are low wage earners and spend most of their money on rent, monthly metro card and cellphone. Hipster business only serve Hipsters, Yuppies and others with money and not people who make ten bucks an hour at Duane Reade.
That's bullsheet. I can tell you as a first hand witness that I see more than a few baby strollers getting wheeled down the streets of Bed Stuy by obvious "new comers". They are moving into these areas becase it's cheaper and they can get a whole brownstone, or a big new 1200 sq foot condo, for a fraction of the cost than in Park Slope. These are people that WANT to stay within NYC and need homes large enough for a family.

As for the comment about hipster businesses, oh come on! The business are open and welcome to everyone. It's just that people "from the hood" don't do yoga. I take it to be some type of veiled class distinction. Of all the new business that open up in gentrifying areas, I think it's crazy that the long time residents don't patron the new establishments. Yoga classes aside, I can't believe that the better options for restaurants and groceries are not welcome. Who the hell wants to do their grocery shopping at a bodega or only dine out at McDonald's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City