Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
That's bullsheet. I can tell you as a first hand witness that I see more than a few baby strollers getting wheeled down the streets of Bed Stuy by obvious "new comers". They are moving into these areas becase it's cheaper and they can get a whole brownstone, or a big new 1200 sq foot condo, for a fraction of the cost than in Park Slope. These are people that WANT to stay within NYC and need homes large enough for a family.

As for the comment about hipster businesses, oh come on! The business are open and welcome to everyone. It's just that people "from the hood" don't do yoga. I take it to be some type of veiled class distinction. Of all the new business that open up in gentrifying areas, I think it's crazy that the long time residents don't patron the new establishments. Yoga classes aside, I can't believe that the better options for restaurants and groceries are not welcome. Who the hell wants to do their grocery shopping at a bodega or only dine out at McDonald's?
^So true. The fact is a lot of long time New Yorkers, especially those educated in the public schools and grew up in the lower income sections of the city (and often don't leave them) are some of the most close minded, unaccepting people you'll meet anywhere in this city. Reality.

There are some nice businesses popping up in neighborhoods traditionally neglected for so long.

At the same time, many are taking advantage. Most of the parks in this city have been or are in the process of being renovated. It's amazing the usage they see and people do care about them. Even in neighborhoods like Brownsville and Morrisania. Just an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
^So true. The fact is a lot of long time New Yorkers, especially those educated in the public schools and grew up in the lower income sections of the city (and often don't leave them) are some of the most close minded, unaccepting people you'll meet anywhere in this city. Reality.

There are some nice businesses popping up in neighborhoods traditionally neglected for so long.

At the same time, many are taking advantage. Most of the parks in this city have been or are in the process of being renovated. It's amazing the usage they see and people do care about them. Even in neighborhoods like Brownsville and Morrisania. Just an example.
Last year, when I lived out in the Rockaways, a lot of abandoned parking lots along the beachfront was turned into parks complete with areas to play various kinds of ball, playgrounds, etc, lots of beautiful trees with flowers. The hurricane screwed things up but a lot of good work was still done in terms of renovation, building new grocery stores, etc. I've seen people use new parks all over the city, and other new facilities too! The city puts more money into the city owned recreation centers and pools now. I go swimming in them a lot. Coney Island reopened and has expanded in the past few years as it gets renovated. A lot of cool things are happening around Flushing Meadows Park. A lot of smaller parks all around the city have had a lot of work done to them as well.

And yes, grocery stores, bank branches, major drug chains, cell phone stores are all popping up in neglected neighborhoods. As are big office supply/electronics venders like Staples.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
That's bullsheet. I can tell you as a first hand witness that I see more than a few baby strollers getting wheeled down the streets of Bed Stuy by obvious "new comers". They are moving into these areas becase it's cheaper and they can get a whole brownstone, or a big new 1200 sq foot condo, for a fraction of the cost than in Park Slope. These are people that WANT to stay within NYC and need homes large enough for a family.

As for the comment about hipster businesses, oh come on! The business are open and welcome to everyone. It's just that people "from the hood" don't do yoga. I take it to be some type of veiled class distinction. Of all the new business that open up in gentrifying areas, I think it's crazy that the long time residents don't patron the new establishments. Yoga classes aside, I can't believe that the better options for restaurants and groceries are not welcome. Who the hell wants to do their grocery shopping at a bodega or only dine out at McDonald's?
I tell you what Jad2k, I sure don't unless if I'm drunk and need a burger to absorb the alcohol in my system. Even worse eating Chinese Food, typical chicken and Broccoli with pork fried rice, yuck. Those people who are buying brownstones and condos in Brooklyn have money, some condos are not even large enough to support a typical 2.5 traditional American family. I know of a woman at my job an Ohio native. She got pregnant and moved to Brooklyn Heights with her boyfriend. She packed up and moved back to Ohio as of this year because its more affordable to raise a family out there compared to NYC. I experience all sorts of realities thanks to my easy going open minded curiosity. In my social circle I'm friends with all sorts of acquaintances from local natives, immigrants, Transplants to different income stratas, and they don't want to be Facebook or Instagram friends but actual friends. Me I can afford to go to certain places and hang out, check out and see what is cool or what is happening, not everyone can do to the lack of purchasing power. Plenty of locals I know have to deal with realities of family, child support, car payments, looking to get by, being unemployed etc, don't have the means to go out and eat or shop at boutiques and restaurants in gentry areas of the city. The other day I was at Mytle avenue in Fort Green, I was happy to see a beardo walk out of a Jamaican restaurant with a beef pattie and coco bread in his hand. Any way I'm out, gotta catch the Knick game at MSG!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I tell you what Jad2k, I sure don't unless if I'm drunk and need a burger to absorb the alcohol in my system. Even worse eating Chinese Food, typical chicken and Broccoli with pork fried rice, yuck. Those people who are buying brownstones and condos in Brooklyn have money, some condos are not even large enough to support a typical 2.5 traditional American family. I know of a woman at my job an Ohio native. She got pregnant and moved to Brooklyn Heights with her boyfriend. She packed up and moved back to Ohio as of this year because its more affordable to raise a family out there compared to NYC. I experience all sorts of realities thanks to my easy going open minded curiosity. In my social circle I'm friends with all sorts of acquaintances from local natives, immigrants, Transplants to different income stratas, and they don't want to be Facebook or Instagram friends but actual friends. Me I can afford to go to certain places and hang out, check out and see what is cool or what is happening, not everyone can do to the lack of purchasing power. Plenty of locals I know have to deal with realities of family, child support, car payments, looking to get by, being unemployed etc, don't have the means to go out and eat or shop at boutiques and restaurants in gentry areas of the city. The other day I was at Mytle avenue in Fort Green, I was happy to see a beardo walk out of a Jamaican restaurant with a beef pattie and coco bread in his hand. Any way I'm out, gotta catch the Knick game at MSG!
If you're talking about individual friends, yes, there are all sorts of possibilities. But just because some of your friends moved out of town when they had kids doesn't mean everyone moves out of town when they have kids . If you wanted to keep your career in investment banking, fashion, film, publishing, music, or in the corporate sector, moving back to OH is not an option when you have kids. You'd stay here, and that's why you see white couples with baby carriages in places like Chelsea, LES, Harlem, Bedstuy, etc.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,044 times
The key to everything is balance. Many inner city NY neighbourhoods have too many low-income, ghetto-mental people, too many thugs and gangsters, and could definitely use an infusion of middle income folk, especially open-minded young people. At this point in time, the dominant urban youth style seems to be hipster or one of its relatives, but despite the things about them that annoy some of us, having them move into the hood is a good thing, I think.

But again, it's all about balance. When too many of them overload a neighbourhood, which is starting to happen in Bushwick, for example, the neighbourhood changes too much, lots of the good things about the old neighbourhood are lost or heavily diluted, and eventually the Times gets wind of the changes, writes a glowing review about the transformations, and in come the yuppies with their superiority complexes and closed-mindedness, demanding all kinds of fundamental changes to the area and driving prices sky high. So I say let the hipsters come, just not too many of them.

As I wrote in my last post, in my home city hipsters have contributed to making the best neighbourhoods unnaffordable for just about everyone, and in some cases unrecognizable. This is what happens when balance is lost and things tip too far in one direction, and it sucks for low and middle-income people who still want to live in decent neighbourhoods close to the downtown. Of course it's great for homeowners in the area who've been living there long enough that they paid like 100 grand or less for a house that's now worth close to a million with renovations. A lot of these people sell when they reach a certain age and buy a smaller, cheaper condo elsewhere in the city or suburbs.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
There are still properties in B-S that are affordable to young families who don't have boatloads of money. The further east they go, the more properties to find. And who said all of them are buying brownstones? Many of them are snapping up vinly sided townhouses and family homes, some are being fixed up.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
The key to everything is balance. Many inner city NY neighbourhoods have too many low-income, ghetto-mental people, too many thugs and gangsters, and could definitely use an infusion of middle income folk, especially open-minded young people. At this point in time, the dominant urban youth style seems to be hipster or one of its relatives, but despite the things about them that annoy some of us, having them move into the hood is a good thing, I think.

But again, it's all about balance. When too many of them overload a neighbourhood, which is starting to happen in Bushwick, for example, the neighbourhood changes too much, lots of the good things about the old neighbourhood are lost or heavily diluted, and eventually the Times gets wind of the changes, writes a glowing review about the transformations, and in come the yuppies with their superiority complexes and closed-mindedness, demanding all kinds of fundamental changes to the area and driving prices sky high. So I say let the hipsters come, just not too many of them.

As I wrote in my last post, in my home city hipsters have contributed to making the best neighbourhoods unnaffordable for just about everyone, and in some cases unrecognizable. This is what happens when balance is lost and things tip too far in one direction, and it sucks for low and middle-income people who still want to live in decent neighbourhoods close to the downtown. Of course it's great for homeowners in the area who've been living there long enough that they paid like 100 grand or less for a house that's now worth close to a million with renovations. A lot of these people sell when they reach a certain age and buy a smaller, cheaper condo elsewhere in the city or suburbs.
The city's economy has also changed. Where possible, low level office positions are done by TEMPS. Manufacturing jobs have left the city quite sometime ago . Certain types of corporate disinvestment, along with white flight, are what created the ghettos in the first place.

But now you have big corporate investment in the city again, and the city is popular among well to do white people, and wealthy foreigners from around the world. So its a business decision, they'd rather deal with people and business who have the money to pay taxes to fund things that keep the city afloat.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,504 times
Quote:

You've been reading too much of the times my friend... The times don't get wind of the changes... They create and imagine the changes... This creation in turn, brings interest and then other folks follow the hype however inaccurate it may be... So you can say newspapers like the NY times were way ahead of schedule in predicting the gentrification of areas like Harlem, Bedstuy, LES, Park Slope, Bushwick, etc. but a legitimate case can be made that without their articles that started the hype in the first place, these areas would have never reached the heights they have currently reached...

The times was talking about Bushwick gentrification since the early 90s... They began talking about Harlems changes early 90s... They began talking about the LES/Alphabet City in the 70s... And they were talking about Ridgewood being hip since 1985... What does this show you? That they took a shot in the dark for practically every working class neighborhood in the city... Some were a surprising success, others were exactly as I described, a shot in the dark... But people ultimately believe what they want and unfortunately this false advertising leads to a lot of heartache both on the part of natives who have been priced out as well as those who took a shot at living in the hood thinking it would be something its not...

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you're talking about individual friends, yes, there are all sorts of possibilities. But just because some of your friends moved out of town when they had kids doesn't mean everyone moves out of town when they have kids . If you wanted to keep your career in investment banking, fashion, film, publishing, music, or in the corporate sector, moving back to OH is not an option when you have kids. You'd stay here, and that's why you see white couples with baby carriages in places like Chelsea, LES, Harlem, Bedstuy, etc.
Of course not everyone moves, it depends what is best for them, stay or go. Example I know of a couple who are from Tennessee and both could not obtain a job back in their home states even if the grace of Jesus Christ could not help. According to these two folks it was always a kid from with a degree from NYC, Chicago, Texas or Vets who are not from the area taking away jobs. THese two came to NYC and found corporate jobs in no time. 2 years later they moved back with NYC firms on their resumes and found great corporate jobs back home in Tennessee, even though both love Manhattan. You even said that having in a NYC firm on a resume is very lucrative when outside of NYC, and I seen it work for family as well acquaintances. You are really blinded, other parts of America has investment banking, filming, media, and other corporate jobs, but yeah NYC does well in Fashion, Publishing which are not exclusive to most of America and only to NYC. I know of someone who worked as investment banker here in NYC but transferred out to North Carolina which has a growing banking business. lol you said white couples,0. A week ago I was in the East Village and saw two well to do outspoken black women with frilled pushing McLaren strollers with light skinned babies inside. Saw an East and South Asian couple pushing their toddler on 5th avenue and Waverly place. Saw a black man with a baby pouch over his stomach carrying his son. As for Harlem I only saw a couple walk their Lab back to a Condo. A month ago I was in Fort Green and Bedstuy where I befriended a chick from fly over country. Went to Bedstuy and I noticed Jews moved to the area pushing strollers and not yuppie whites. Sadly Bedstuy has some of the highest rates of child abuse in the city, until child abuse goes down in the area, only then its safe to say white yuppies families are moving in.

New report calls Bay Ridge Brooklyn's best place to rear youngsters, outranking Park Slope* - NY Daily News

Quote:

I agree with you to some extent. Some years ago I read about other counter subcultures that lived here and paraded through out NYC. Primarily Beatnkis of the Silent Generation, Hippies who are part of the Boomer generation, Goths and Punks who are part of Gen X, these folks primarily gathered only in neighborhoods such as the East Village and no where else. These groups would have been outcasted in low income to middle income traditional NYC neighborhoods. Hipsters were able to leave behind the village and move to Redhook, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint, LIC, Astoria, Push north and go to Harlem, South Bronx. There are to much pros and cons to having to many hipsters and yuppies. One thing I hate about having to much hipsters and yuppies is the increase of street crime, like burglaries and robberies. When I was in Fort Green a couple of weeks ago, I saw a white chick say, my iphone, my iphone is gone.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
People will move wherever individual circimstances will take them. Those investment bankers who moved to Carolina or elsewhere were probably 30 or 40-somethings who were caught in the wave of banking layoffs during the great recession and the banks in other states were only too happy to take them in. Likewise when the banking sector improves, 20-somethings out of college will be landing jobs in NYC (unless the sector keeps contracting) and work in the city until the next recession when circumstances will again force them to move elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City