Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,248,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Oh urban.....what are we going to do with you? Clearly you're wired way too tight for NYC. You couldn't tell I was messing with you sarcastically in that last sentence.
Umm, did you not see the funny face at the end of my post? That means I could tell your sarcasm you were using....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,797,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Umm, did you not see the funny face at the end of my post? That means I could tell your sarcasm you were using....

Old 06-16-2012, 09:19 PM

556 posts, read 1,447,235 times
COuldnt read all 49 pages but heres my take;

1. When they tried previosly to place a tax on soda(uhemm recycling deposit anyone?), it did not passed, but did put the marketplace on its heels. If you know notice in your "beverage" isle smaller cans of soda and such. Not all laws effects come from actually get passed.

2. I cant tell you the number of times ive orderd a "Medium" meal at a fast food place and gotten what always looks like liter to me(Soda btw. has one of the highest profit margins, at least in the food biz). Checkers and Wendys are the worst offendors(though checkers with there new 86 flavor machine, magically has a smaller Medium).

3. Ive found with those "medium" sodas, if i take off the lid and do not use a straw, i drink less(slower). I sometimes have to pour out the rest.

4. A family in the 50's would split a 20oz soda for a family of four. This is now the standard "personal" size.

5. I often see children (10 and below) who are by themselves in the morning(thats parents yes i know) with a Tropical 20 oz and a bag of chips. Maybe the regulation should be on storeowners for selling that to a child on their way to school.

6. Its hard to walk down the street with 2 bottles of a sugary drink, and 16oz. is ALWAYS more than a single serving(they just started using 1 bottle on the nutritional lables to save face).

I sure havent noticed anything crazy from the transfat, or before that the smoking, and that recycling, so how bout just see what shape it takes, or dont, but you wil, for you already have it in your subconcious now. THAT IS THE POINT.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 AM

71 posts, read 149,577 times
If fatasses would just have common sense (and frugality) and buy a small or carry water, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 AM

319 posts, read 529,932 times
Impose a progressive fat tax on individuals to pay for society's added healthcare costs and call it a day.

Forcing people to buy two 16 oz sodas instead of one 32 oz, or simply make one extra trip to the unlimited refill counter, isn't going to solve anything.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:37 PM

18,487 posts, read 31,697,702 times
I am surprised the government hasn't taxed the hell out of soda, like they do for all the smokers that smoke.

just sayin'..............

I don't do either, so I don't care

Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,916,040 times
I read from my last post to this thread clear up to page 47 and just coulldn't stand to read anymore. It just more of the SAME ignorance, being spewed by the SAME posters. They don't get it and even of they do they will maintain their deluded position for the sake of stubborness and pride if nothing else. Basically it comes down to this..... If you are a citizen of this ONCE great country and you are fine with an out-of-touch Government limiting the choices you can and cannot make right down to the size of soda you can drink at any one time, then by all means, support this ban along with the drove of others that are to come. BUT, if you want to live in a state of freedom with limited interaction or intervention with Government, then you must step away from your keyboards and actively fight this type of legislation by whatever means you can. I could go and reply to all the ignorant, misguided posts to this thread since my leave, and I was going to, but decided the argument has been exhausted with plenty of reasons, GOOD reasons, why you should oppose this and any similar bans or legislation. If you don't understand it after.....count'em......49 pages, you are officialy a LOST cause and never will. I leave you with two absolutely relevant quotes, straight out of my "quotes to live by" folder:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Ben Franklin

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty; he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself"
Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Remember the Boston Tea Party? The went crazy over tea taxes, what would they think now of how much government dictates what we have?
I would have loved to have lived in those days..... those were the days when people gave a S@#!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,255,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am surprised the government hasn't taxed the hell out of soda, like they do for all the smokers that smoke.
Yeah, then NJTransit commuters can make a fortune smuggling in untaxed soda and selling it in Penn Station on their way to work :-)

Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,248,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I read from my last post to this thread clear up to page 47 and just coulldn't stand to read anymore. It just more of the SAME ignorance, being spewed by the SAME posters. They don't get it and even of they do they will maintain their deluded position for the sake of stubborness and pride if nothing else. Basically it comes down to this..... If you are a citizen of this ONCE great country and you are fine with an out-of-touch Government limiting the choices you can and cannot make right down to the size of soda you can drink at any one time, then by all means, support this ban along with the drove of others that are to come. BUT, if you want to live in a state of freedom with limited interaction or intervention with Government, then you must step away from your keyboards and actively fight this type of legislation by whatever means you can. I could go and reply to all the ignorant, misguided posts to this thread since my leave, and I was going to, but decided the argument has been exhausted with plenty of reasons, GOOD reasons, why you should oppose this and any similar bans or legislation. If you don't understand it after.....count'em......49 pages, you are officialy a LOST cause and never will. I leave you with two absolutely relevant quotes, straight out of my "quotes to live by" folder:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Ben Franklin

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty; he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself"
Thomas Paine

I would have loved to have lived in those days..... those were the days when people gave a S@#!
But you don't live in that country, you never have, and I am betting you never will. The moment our politicians started taking money from private donors rather than public coffers to run for office was the moment that "freedom" because a buzz word to keep everyone occupied.

You worry about the size of soda you can drink, I worry about if people can get married that want to get married, and that women should be in full control of their own bodies without government interference...you tell me which one sounds like a bigger fight?

So yes, keep waving that flag over the size of your soda...the rest of us are worried about bigger issues in life.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,054,450 times
Bloomberg is the king of nyc so you must agree with him or else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City