Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 12:54 AM

788 posts, read 486,207 times

Advertisements

As an Irish American of catholic background, I can spot a wasp a mile away. Just a thing we can do. With that said, I spent 25 years in corporate America where the vast majority of senior management was always wasp. ALWAYS. They primarily live, the ones that work in NYC, on the southern shore of CT. Fairfield county. Talking places like Fairfield, Darien, Greenwich, Stanford and Westport. I knew many CEOs living in Westport, actually.

If you were ethnic white working in a corporation, you stood no chance of getting past a certain level. Even Jews had their hard ceiling. That's why wherever I worked, the ethnic whites always were buddies with what few minorities worked in the same place. Even young black kids working in the mail room had more in common with us compared to the "Smiths" and the "Johnsons" and the "Browns" in middle/upper mgt. It was something I learned very quickly right out of college in the mid 90s. The racism was very subtle but real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 01:46 AM

4 posts, read 1,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Wasp in a modern context imo would be the following;

Exclusively or any mixture of the following Protestant groups, who are upper middle or upper class;
British
Dutch
Scandinavian
Dane
Belgium
Germany

Upper class Catholics from the following;
Ireland
German

Jewish, Asians = NOT WASP, that includes any first generation mixes with any of the above groups.

I get that these nationalities share a lot of characteristics, and are similar in their behaviors, and lifestyle, but isn't it clowning to create a demographic group like wasp and then include Germans, Norwegians, Nordic, Irish Catholics, Belgians, Dutch, and the rest of them in there? That's like creating YCA (Yellow Chinese Atheist), and then including Japanese Daoists, Mongol christians, and Korean Budists into the mix. Heck or even like BAM (Brown Arab Muslim), and then throw Armenian christians, Turkish Atheists, white Iranians Zorastarians, and Afghan Juz into the demographic group. Or how bout BIH (Brown Indian Hindu), and just throwing in Bengali hindus, Pakistani muslims, Khalistani Sikhs, and Sri Lankan budists into the category. If you really want to look at similarities, the Italians, and Greeks actually have more in common with the Arabs, and Persians than they do Europeans. This is why the Italians and Greeks learned their technology from the Arabs, not from Germans, and not from Irish. Pizza also just looks like a modified version Turkish pide. The tv show wings had a Lebanese guy playing an Italian. Fast times at Ridgemont high. Mike Damone is actually a Lebanese guy. If you look at Greek food, it's actually very similar to Arab food. Shawarma-Gyro. Humus. Baklava. Kebab-Souvlaki. But the media would always link Greece to Europe rather than the Arab/Turkish/Persian world. The food links between Greeks, and Arabs are much stronger than the food links between Koreans (spicy), Japanese (heavy seafood), and Chinese (heavy pork), eventhough we often like to culturally link those 3. People often like to think of Greeks, and British as both being European, but their foods are completely different. And the only reason why British eat kebabs is because of Asian immigrants, not Greek. I kind of agree with some people that the term wasp is outdated. For example, they like to associate wasp with the Ivy league but honestly when I think of Ivy league, I'm thinking of Asians, and Juz. The political landscape has also changed, especially with 0bama being president, and Haris being VP. Last year, I walked into a store, and saw a bunch of black Santa Clauses. You have black little mermaids. The biggest internet companies, Meta, Google are run by Juz. Not to mention a huge portion of the media. New York is also not nearly as important as it was back then, so the power has shifted. Google's CEO is Indian, not white, not British. Two of the biggest companies in America are based in Seattle (Amazon), and Apple (CA). The biggest, most well known American restraunt, Mcdonalds, is based in Chicago. Starbucks is based in Seattle. Walmart out of Arkansas. Target out of Minneapolis. CNN, based in Atlanta. Even if you look at the Silicon valley, a lot of them have actually moved to TX. And the idea of a Silicon Valley's only been around for 30yrs. Richest man in America aint even American. Larry Elison, 3 richest man in America is a Ju. Highest paid celebrity is Oprah Winfrey, a black woman. The most famous "socialite" of our generation, Kim Kardashian is a dark skin Armenian. Highest paid tiktoker, Charlie Damelio, Italian. NYC mayor is now a black man. Come to think of it. Who was wasp? Not Koch, Dinkins, Juliani, Diblazio, or Bloomberg. The most influential social media platform is run by a Singaporian. The biggest influencer is Kylie Jenner, an LA born woman who looks Arab. That's the new America we live in.

Last edited by MOTELZ; 06-25-2023 at 03:05 AM..

Old 06-25-2023, 12:08 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Start with links one provided above then feel free to scout out more information on your own.

For WASPS *the* religion was/is Episcopalian with Presbyterian coming up a close second.

Largest cultural difference between say WASPS and Catholics IMHO comes from what is known as the "Protestant Work Ethic" see: Protestant work ethic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and: Why the Protestant Work Ethic Is a Menace to Society | Alternet

Basically WASP and the PWE holds that one's situation in life is a direct result of one's efforts and labours. That is if you are poor then it is *your* fault for not working hard enough, failing to properly plan/manage your finances, and so forth. PWE teaches that the fruits of labour bring blessings (wealth, status, or whatever) in this life and are visible.

OTOH Catholics go in for poverty and suffering in this life in order to receive blessings in the next. That is if you live a hard life, are poor, suffer, etc... you are closer to God and are destined to receive rewards, but after death is when your soul will benefit.

Long story short WASPS are about making money (capitalism), while the Catholic church tends to teach chasing after and accruing worldly gains is somehow wrong. The irony of this has not been lost on Protestants over the years as some of the most richly decorated churches and a religion most associated with "wealth" in terms of assets is the Roman Catholic faith. The new worlds were plundered of gold and jewels, hundreds native persons enslaved, killed and so forth all in aid of in whole or part enriching various parts of the RC church.

Another striking example of the differences between WASP culture and Catholics is in charity. While followers of each faith do believe in providing some "aid" to the poor or disadvantaged even setting up various institutions to provide, Protestant based organizations tend to be shall we say less generous than Catholics. More along the lines of "you can help yourself but don't take too much and don't make it a habit".

One clear example in how this has played out in NYC is in healthcare. Say what you will about the Catholics, but the hospitals founded by various religious orders of that faith provided care regardless of ability to pay. This in part was one of the reasons Saint Vincent's hospital and that whole system went bankrupt. Providing "charity care" is all very well but it leaves huge gaps in financials.

Right up until that place closed the Sisters refused to skimp on providing healthcare to anyone that needed it regardless. It was sort of a well known secret you could have care costing in the tens of thousands and literally not pay half or any of your bill.

On the other side you have the vast and wealthy New York Presbyterian hospital system. Yes, it does provide "charity care" but you won't be getting much there for "free".

Because WASPs and to an extent the PWE have pretty much run the USA for hundreds of years you see the effects on many levels of federal and local government. Everything from tax policy to labour laws.

If you demonize the poor as persons whom have "failed" in life then you are just as likely to oppose any government efforts such as taxation to "take" your money and give it to the "grubby and lazy" poor.

When it comes to labor there again you see a difference between Catholics and Protestants. This is the reason why you see the RC church often aligned with labor unions and others demanding not only decent working conditions but fair wages and better treatment of workers. OTHO WASPs tend to see things as they are running a business to earn profits, not run a social service agency. Again while it is true some or many have made great concessions to "labor", make no mistake about it much of that was done under the guise of being good for business.

There are some interesting information and good analyses floating in this poorly written post, but one needs to be a skilled reader to effectively spot and catch the information due to ambiguous wording, awkward sentence structure, and paragraphic disorganization......

Old 06-25-2023, 12:23 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
As an Irish American of catholic background, I can spot a wasp a mile away. Just a thing we can do. With that said, I spent 25 years in corporate America where the vast majority of senior management was always wasp. ALWAYS. They primarily live, the ones that work in NYC, on the southern shore of CT. Fairfield county. Talking places like Fairfield, Darien, Greenwich, Stanford and Westport. I knew many CEOs living in Westport, actually.

If you were ethnic white working in a corporation, you stood no chance of getting past a certain level. Even Jews had their hard ceiling. That's why wherever I worked, the ethnic whites always were buddies with what few minorities worked in the same place. Even young black kids working in the mail room had more in common with us compared to the "Smiths" and the "Johnsons" and the "Browns" in middle/upper mgt. It was something I learned very quickly right out of college in the mid 90s. The racism was very subtle but real.

Share how you do this, and also please tell us more stories of the racism between WASP and Irish. Do you still feel it in 2023?

Old 06-25-2023, 02:33 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTELZ View Post
I get that these nationalities share a lot of characteristics, and are similar in their behaviors, and lifestyle, but isn't it clowning to create a demographic group like wasp and then include Germans, Norwegians, Nordic, Irish Catholics, Belgians, Dutch, and the rest of them in there? That's like creating YCA (Yellow Chinese Atheist), and then including Japanese Daoists, Mongol christians, and Korean Budists into the mix. Heck or even like BAM (Brown Arab Muslim), and then throw Armenian christians, Turkish Atheists, white Iranians Zorastarians, and Afghan Juz into the demographic group. Or how bout BIH (Brown Indian Hindu), and just throwing in Bengali hindus, Pakistani muslims, Khalistani Sikhs, and Sri Lankan budists into the category. If you really want to look at similarities, the Italians, and Greeks actually have more in common with the Arabs, and Persians than they do Europeans. This is why the Italians and Greeks learned their technology from the Arabs, not from Germans, and not from Irish. Pizza also just looks like a modified version Turkish pide. The tv show wings had a Lebanese guy playing an Italian. Fast times at Ridgemont high. Mike Damone is actually a Lebanese guy. If you look at Greek food, it's actually very similar to Arab food. Shawarma-Gyro. Humus. Baklava. Kebab-Souvlaki. But the media would always link Greece to Europe rather than the Arab/Turkish/Persian world. The food links between Greeks, and Arabs are much stronger than the food links between Koreans (spicy), Japanese (heavy seafood), and Chinese (heavy pork), eventhough we often like to culturally link those 3. People often like to think of Greeks, and British as both being European, but their foods are completely different. And the only reason why British eat kebabs is because of Asian immigrants, not Greek. I kind of agree with some people that the term wasp is outdated. For example, they like to associate wasp with the Ivy league but honestly when I think of Ivy league, I'm thinking of Asians, and Juz. The political landscape has also changed, especially with 0bama being president, and Haris being VP. Last year, I walked into a store, and saw a bunch of black Santa Clauses. You have black little mermaids. The biggest internet companies, Meta, Google are run by Juz. Not to mention a huge portion of the media. New York is also not nearly as important as it was back then, so the power has shifted. Google's CEO is Indian, not white, not British. Two of the biggest companies in America are based in Seattle (Amazon), and Apple (CA). The biggest, most well known American restraunt, Mcdonalds, is based in Chicago. Starbucks is based in Seattle. Walmart out of Arkansas. Target out of Minneapolis. CNN, based in Atlanta. Even if you look at the Silicon valley, a lot of them have actually moved to TX. And the idea of a Silicon Valley's only been around for 30yrs. Richest man in America aint even American. Larry Elison, 3 richest man in America is a Ju. Highest paid celebrity is Oprah Winfrey, a black woman. The most famous "socialite" of our generation, Kim Kardashian is a dark skin Armenian. Highest paid tiktoker, Charlie Damelio, Italian. NYC mayor is now a black man. Come to think of it. Who was wasp? Not Koch, Dinkins, Juliani, Diblazio, or Bloomberg. The most influential social media platform is run by a Singaporian. The biggest influencer is Kylie Jenner, an LA born woman who looks Arab. That's the new America we live in.

Did you not learn about paragraphs in school?

Old 06-25-2023, 03:02 PM

821 posts, read 775,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Scarsdale in Westchester?
That’s mostly Jewish with a growing Asian population. WASP is more Rye and Bronxville.

EDIT: didn’t realize that this thread was from 2012 but my reply still stands.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:28 PM

61 posts, read 46,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post

LMAO, that is the most hilarious **** I read in a month.

This is 1990s NOT 1890s. Get off your "I struggled to get by" ****. You can't compare the struggles of a black person versus an Irish-American. You probably are the guy that says "I got some black friends so i am not racist" deal.

I am sure those same blacks see so much commonality in the Irish dominated NYPD that goes after them.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:32 PM

61 posts, read 46,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTELZ View Post
Actually their technology was learned from the Persians. Arabs were still in far way from the Middle East at that point in time.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:00 AM

788 posts, read 486,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Share how you do this, and also please tell us more stories of the racism between WASP and Irish. Do you still feel it in 2023?
Physical features. Just like Koreans, Chinese and Japanese are distinctly different...so are Europeans. It's actually fairly easy from a white person's perspective. I guess I'd generalize by saying that protestants/wasps tend to have very vanilla, vague, non descript features. Whereas Irish, Italians, Germans, Greeks, white Jews and Eastern Euros are pretty easy to identify, in most cases. Then, of course, in an office setting you have names to confirm.

I'll never forget when I was training with my company for a new position in 1998 down in our Dallas office. They were all asking me about "the jews" in the NYC office. What were they like? Were they mean? Etc, Etc, Etc. I was schocked. Also lots of Italian jokes about some of the NYC folks, mafia related as usual.

Is there white on white corp racism today? Well, I'm retired but I imagine so. Although in today's corporate enviorment it seems mostly political racism going on. If you aren't on the left, oh boy! Look out. I noticed it starting with Obama's election. When I left college in the mid 90s, I was advised, as most kids were, NEVER talk politics or religion in the office. And I never did, nor did I see anyone do so until Obama ran against McCain. I was astonished that it was allowed. In fact the day Obama was inaugurated, my entire company was asked to attend a viewing in any available conf. room. I of course did not. So for me, anyway, the racism went from ethnicity to political affilliation. Nowadays my former company is a bastion of left wing propoganda. I guess I saw it coming.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:31 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Hmm. I am technically a WASP, I suppose. Dutch and English descent.

No money. Immigrant ancestors who came here in the late 1800s/early 1900s worked as maids, plumbers, carpenters. A couple of farmers. My small Bergen County hometown was mostly Dutch and very blue collar. Still some Hollanders in town, but fewer now, and the town has been built up and incorporated into the suburban sprawl.

The stereotypes don't always fit. Imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City