Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetuniaP View Post
Ok, well, that is your opinion. As for the same neighborhoods coming up, if someone has already made their suggestions, expressed their reservations on other neighborhoods and aren't adding anything new to the conversation, then I don't see the need for further response on their end. Thanks.
it appears that you're set on living in the bronx, good for you, but you shouldn't attack a guy who is giving you the straight talk about what the areas are like, the fact is that many parts of the bronx are very undesirable and especially so for a single woman.
Before commiting to anything be sure to do a lot of research like visiting the area at different times and observing the people who live and loiter in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
it appears that you're set on living in the bronx, good for you, but you shouldn't attack a guy who is giving you the straight talk about what the areas are like, the fact is that many parts of the bronx are very undesirable and especially so for a single woman.
Before commiting to anything be sure to do a lot of research like visiting the area at different times and observing the people who live and loiter in the area.
I don't think she was attacking Hustla, it was more like she was attacking his tendency to try to dominate these type of conversations. There are two sides to every coin.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Agreed NooYorker..I am glad Petunia realized that fact quickly. As I said Petunia...take everyone's suggestions and then walk and see for yourself.....what you see and like can be very different than what we see and like.

I am glad you went to Bronx Science...I tried but did not get in...so I went to Spellman!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 51,052 times
Quote:
it appears that you're set on living in the bronx, good for you, but you shouldn't attack a guy who is giving you the straight talk about what the areas are like
I'm not attacking anyone. I just rather not have this thread to devolve into an argumentative, repetitive and ultimately useless conversation. If someone has new information on any of the aforementioned neighborhoods and can add some color, good or bad, personal experience from living there, etc, great. I'd love to read it. If not, I can simply read back previous posts if I want to rehash what has already be said.

As for being set on living in the Bronx, I think that is a leap. I am interested in exploring my options in the Bronx. I'm not set on living anywhere until I've completed my research. Thanks.

Last edited by PetuniaP; 11-06-2007 at 08:33 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Yodel, thanks for reminding me about Moshulu Parkway. I really appreciate your insight as a current resident of the area. I went to Bronx Science so I have a passing familiarity with the Bedford Park area even though I've been out of H.S. for a long time. I need to see how long the commute into the city is on the D train. I really like that line, it's fast and fairly reliable from my recollection...even though it's been years since I've taken the D. The 4 train will also be convenient for visiting family in Brooklyn.
Normally I'd give myself an hour to get to Chelsea door to door on the D, but since it's express during rush hours, it should be quicker at that time, but I don't know about 45 min. My husband works on the east side and tends to take the Metro North, but it's an extra expense (maybe $120 for a monthly ticket) but it gets you to Grand Central in 20 minutes. I work in Westchester, and can make it in about 20 minutes (driving) believe it or not. Good that you decided to make up your own mind and not get scared off before even checking out the borough. We moved here from upper Manhattan (Inwood), another nice area, but coop prices are so high there. (I think 2 bedrooms are at about 500K). Good luck.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Ok, well, that is your opinion. As for the same neighborhoods coming up, if someone has already made their suggestions, expressed their reservations on other neighborhoods and aren't adding anything new to the conversation, then I don't see the need for further response on their end. Thanks.
its not my opinion, its the truth. i'm not trying to come at you in a negative way, i just wanted to let you know to not expect a vast amount of responses based on what you're looking for because the bronx does not have a lot of neighborhoods that fit what you desire. i dont know what you were expecting to hear but i figured i would give you a heads-up. either way good luck.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 AM

67 posts, read 352,967 times
I went to BX science, too! But I was raised in Queens. I recommend those nabes, too. Some of my friends became new Bronxites and moved Van Courtlandt & Kingsbridge Heights, and near me around Bedford Park Blvd.

Send me a message if you need a list of real estates since I can’t list websites here. I got mines from ardor ny. They always have weekend open houses. You can still get 1 or 2 junior bedrooms in the low 200s around KH & VC. The 1 train is slow, but it’s worth an experience if you’re buying. Bedford Park is a bit cheaper.

I live by the D and 4 train. 4 train is too crowded during the rush hours, so I prefer taking the D.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Petunia, I'm considering the Bronx too. Thanks for keeping this thread on track!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Instead of limiting yourself to the Bronx, you should look into Harlem, Jersey City, Long Island City, and co-ops on the Lower East Side.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Instead of limiting yourself to the Bronx, you should look into Harlem, Jersey City, Long Island City, and co-ops on the Lower East Side.
I don't want to deal with the double tax of working in NYC and living in Jersey, so Jersey city is out. Petunia and I both happen to be looking for one-bedrooms for under 200k and I haven't seen anything listed for that price in the other neighborhoods you have mentioned. (Except for maybe an occasional HDFC cash-only deal.)

If you know better, please enlighten us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City