Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:40 PM

13 posts, read 51,077 times

Advertisements

I've read some of the posts on this board and despite reservations, I am posting anyway.
I'm a single woman in my 30s looking to purchase in NYC. I grew up and currently live in Brooklyn, I work in Chelsea and based on my income and expenses, I think the Bronx will afford me the opportunity to buy within my price range, under $200K
I'm looking for the holy grail, a, one-bedroom apartment (although would consider a large studio) that is relatively safe and affordable. I currently have a two-zone, 1 hour and 15 minute commute and I am looking to cut it to about 40-45 minutes door to door. I'm also looking at the purchase as an investment that will have good appreciation over the next 10 years. I'm not looking to put my life at risk but I'm also not expecting shangri-la. My current neighborhood is working class, residental, high percentage of homeowners vs. renters, no projects in sight. I'm not nervous about walking home alone 5 blocks at 11pm. However, it's has minimal to no amentities and is dominated by bodegas, 99-cent stores, and fast food resturants. No Rite-Aids or Starbucks in sight, although we do have a Chase bank, which is nice. This is by way of giving you an idea of what I am used to. I am hoping to do slightly better by way of amenities, the addition of a local supermarket and drug store would be great. A gym would be incredible.

So Bronx residents, can you give me ideas for neighborhoods to look into? Specific streets would be incredibly helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
Outside of perhaps Riverdale I don't think you'll find anywhere where your level of ammenities will increase in the Bronx. Most neighborhoods do have a grocery store though and usually a drug store/Duane Reade. What type of neighborhood in Brooklyn has neither of these around? Are you in the ghetto?

Your door-to-door commute time probably isn't going to be decreased that much from 1hr 15 by moving to the Bronx. Most nice neighborhoods here are fairly far from the city.

You can definitely get a 1 br for under $200k. I've seen really nice Co-ops in my neighborhood go for $150k. Even decent 1br co-ops will sell for around $130k or so.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetuniaP View Post
I've read some of the posts on this board and despite reservations, I am posting anyway.
I'm a single woman in my 30s looking to purchase in NYC. I grew up and currently live in Brooklyn, I work in Chelsea and based on my income and expenses, I think the Bronx will afford me the opportunity to buy within my price range, under $200K
I'm looking for the holy grail, a, one-bedroom apartment (although would consider a large studio) that is relatively safe and affordable. I currently have a two-zone, 1 hour and 15 minute commute and I am looking to cut it to about 40-45 minutes door to door. I'm also looking at the purchase as an investment that will have good appreciation over the next 10 years. I'm not looking to put my life at risk but I'm also not expecting shangri-la. My current neighborhood is working class, residental, high percentage of homeowners vs. renters, no projects in sight. I'm not nervous about walking home alone 5 blocks at 11pm. However, it's has minimal to no amentities and is dominated by bodegas, 99-cent stores, and fast food resturants. No Rite-Aids or Starbucks in sight, although we do have a Chase bank, which is nice. This is by way of giving you an idea of what I am used to. I am hoping to do slightly better by way of amenities, the addition of a local supermarket and drug store would be great. A gym would be incredible.

So Bronx residents, can you give me ideas for neighborhoods to look into? Specific streets would be incredibly helpful.
You might want to try the area around the Pelham Parkway station on the 5 Train line. Just try not to live so close to the PJ's around the corner from there. Try to stay east of Esplanade Ave. The area is called Pelham Bay. The commute is still going to be kind of long, the Bronx is not the borough with speedy mass transit to Midtown (I assume you are trying to get to Midtown). The Morris Park stop on the 5 Train isn't too bad either, just try to live east of the station if possible. Morris Park area. Decent place to live. Both are probably a 60 minute ride on average to Midtown if you live near the train. That is being realistic including walking to the station, waiting for the train, the stops, and just getting to E 42nd Street. And considering the uptown trains are the least reliable, get ready for trains constantly stopping (especially under the Harlem River). Maintenance, flooding, police investigations, people holding doors for like 5 minutes.

Another option is Pelham Parkway or Allerton by the El, both are pretty much the same distance though and the areas are pretty shady at night. Both are slowly going downhill.

Any closer to Manhattan and honesty you will be in the ghetto. The only area that offers 45 minutes to Midtown is Mott Haven. Ghetto as hell. One of the worst areas in NYC.

One more option is the Metro North, the trains are much better then the MTA. Faster and more reliable. If you want to try that look up Woodlawn, Spuyten Duyvil, and Riverdale. Might be a 45 minute commute from Spuyten Duyvil I am not sure. That is a neighborhood just south of Riverdale along the Hudson River. These are the best areas in the Bronx along the Metro North.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Are you in the ghetto?
No. As I mentioned in my previous post, my current neighborhood is working class, some buildings but mostly 2/3 family homes, no nearby projects. There are drug stores/supermarkets around but none within walking distance...most require at least a short bus ride.
Quote:
You can definitely get a 1 br for under $200k. I've seen really nice Co-ops in my neighborhood go for $150k. Even decent 1br co-ops will sell for around $130k or so.
Is your neighborhood Riverdale? Per the Riverdale residents I've spoken to, a car is very much a necessity, but I'm not planning on getting a car. Plus, it's pretty far uptown.

Quote:
I assume you are trying to get to Midtown
Chelsea actually. Pelham Bay is also much farther uptown than I'd like to go although I am familar with that area.

Last edited by PetuniaP; 11-05-2007 at 03:58 AM..

Old 11-05-2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Chelsea actually. Pelham Bay is also much farther uptown than I'd like to go although I am familar with that area.
I have to correct myself, Pelham Bay is actually 60+ minutes to midtown and maybe 1.5 hours to your job in Chelsea. Too far

Is the 1 Train close enough to your job? You can try Riverdale. The bus to the 1 train or walk if you are close enough. The immidiate areas around the 1 Train are slummy, the housing is not the greatest and the areas can be shady at night. Robberies are also a problem. However this is Kingsbridge and Marble Hill I am talking about. They are slowly creeping downhill. It's not the worst but it's not the best either. Try to stay west of Irwin Ave. 1 Train is a slow ride. It might be just too much.

BUT.

Also from Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil the Metro North which is much quicker then the subway (few stops, reliable, on time) and will leave you at 42nd Street. Still a distance from Grand Central so it depends how willing you are to take a bus. Or you can always transfer to the subway. That just might be a 45 minute ride to your job. You will have to try it for yourself.

Woodlawn also has access to Metro North. One more stop inbetween I belive but should be about the same. Area is very ethnic though, Irish.

Anything else is just too far out for you. There are no areas in the Bronx with a possible 45 minute commute by the MTA subway to Chelsea. Only the Metro North from the areas I mentioned.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 AM

Ok, Hustla718, thanks for your opinion. Any others?

I saw some affordable apartments in a new co-op building 811 Walton Ave...near Yankee Stadium. I know that area is slated for development with the new stadium being built as well as a new shopping area with big box stores at the site of the old Bronx Terminal Market. I like the proximity to the D train, which I can take to W4th Street and transfer for the A to get to work. Thoughts? My biggest priorities are commuting time and safety. Lack of amenities I can deal with. I'm used to buying my groceries at Trader Joe's and taking them on the train.

Last edited by PetuniaP; 11-05-2007 at 04:14 AM..

Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:
I saw some affordable apartments in a new co-op building 811 Walton Ave...near Yankee Stadium. I know that area is slated for development with the new stadium being built as well as a new shopping area with big box stores. Thoughts?
800 block Walton Ave is located in a high crime/poverty area and is beyond a 45 minute commute to Chelsea by subway. Quality of life is actually getting worse in the area immidiately around Yankee Stadium. Parks were eliminated and noise/pollution will increase. This is why the local community fought it (but failed, this stadium will bring a lot of revenue to the Yankees franchise with more luxury boxes, therefore the city). There is no new big box retail being constructed nearby, that is a different area out of walking distance. There is some retail nearby but it is very limited. The Bronx courts (Bronx Central Bookings) are also nearby and it attracts the trouble makers. The park across the street (Franz Sigel) is popular with gangs and stick up kids at night. HS kids cutting school during the day. The area in general has a high crime rate but the nearby subway/El station make it very robbery prone. I heard they were trying to attact people who want a "quick ride" into Manhattan with that and a few more nearby developments popping up immediately around Yankee Stadium. Rip off. Area is the ghetto.

Last edited by Hustla718; 11-05-2007 at 04:40 AM..

Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Parkchester has available 1BRs for sale, at around $120-130K (some even lower). You'll have plenty of shopping and banking amenities (6 supermarkets and 5 banks). There's Gotham Fitness, on Westchester between Castle Hill and Glebe Ave (Castle Hill Ave stop).

The main issues for you would be parking (THE most horrible thing in that nabe) if you have a car.

As for commute.....
Good....you're at an express stop (HIGHLY VALUED!)
Bad (if you want to call it bad!)....your commute would be 40-50 minutes depending on where in Parkchester you would be and where you work (Midtown or Lower Manhattan).

As with any spot, check it out and see what fits your needs. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Parkchester has available 1BRs for sale, at around $120-130K (some even lower). You'll have plenty of shopping and banking amenities (6 supermarkets and 5 banks). There's Gotham Fitness, on Westchester between Castle Hill and Glebe Ave (Castle Hill Ave stop).

The main issues for you would be parking (THE most horrible thing in that nabe) if you have a car.

As for commute.....
Good....you're at an express stop (HIGHLY VALUED!)
Bad (if you want to call it bad!)....your commute would be 40-50 minutes depending on where in Parkchester you would be and where you work (Midtown or Lower Manhattan).

As with any spot, check it out and see what fits your needs. Good luck!
The Parkchester COMPLEX is so so. The area of Parkchester is crap. You should always make that clear, you don't want her to end up on a drug block or building litterally falling apart. However 45 minutes to Chelsea? How is that possible. The 6 Train leaves you on the EAST side of Midtown. The ride will be longer then her current trip from Brooklyn. Over an hour.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
The Parkchester COMPLEX is so so. The area of Parkchester is crap. You should always make that clear, you don't want her to end up on a drug block or building litterally falling apart. However 45 minutes to Chelsea? How is that possible. The 6 Train leaves you on the EAST side of Midtown. The ride will be longer then her current trip from Brooklyn. Over an hour.
The complex is a very nice neighborhood, with good-sized apartments. It is NOT so-so. Also, a 6 ride to 59th St with a change to the N or R is an option. Still around 40-45 minutes. The same "east side issues" apply to Morris Park (5)

And to be honest, the area is not as bad as I thought it would be. West and south of the area is not great, but it sure ain't Brownsville and East New York, either! More than likely, the OP may not have to venture in that area. Yes, Southwest is Soundview, but more than likely the OP would not have to go there, either! I like the eastern part. There are some nice 1-2 family houses in a quiet neighborhood (I don't see any hangouts, drama, etc!).

As I said, check out all locations and see what fits your needs. Good luck to the OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City