Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times

Advertisements

Lol....the entire city has serious gridlock...so if you have a problem with traffic stay out of most metro areas, NYC included. The courthouse in advantageous for those who work there, of course, but also because the area is the financial district of the borough, with the main post office, court house, and other Borough hubs in the area. To say that you need to know Spanish or your going to have a serious culture shock is just plain wrong....unless of course everyone that works for the Courthouse..including the judges, attorneys, and every other Government official that works in the area, lives in the area, commutes to the area, patronizes the local establishments in the area, and of course all those Yankee fans that swarm the area...they all must be bilingual huh?

Another ignorant and passive racist statement. I would suggest coming to the area and seeing the good things that are happening..including the new waterfront district that will host a huge retail center with retailers like target and Bed Bath and Beyond..as well as a number of outdoor eating establishments, waterfront espalandes...the Highbridge reopening to pedestrians/bikers to link the city once again..new parks..greening..improved infrastructure, etc.

The area has a huge upside...but then again..you can always listen to those that state "you should know Spanish" because that's all there is to the area after all..right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM

242 posts, read 926,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Lol....the entire city has serious gridlock...so if you have a problem with traffic stay out of most metro areas, NYC included. The courthouse in advantageous for those who work there, of course, but also because the area is the financial district of the borough, with the main post office, court house, and other Borough hubs in the area. To say that you need to know Spanish or your going to have a serious culture shock is just plain wrong....unless of course everyone that works for the Courthouse..including the judges, attorneys, and every other Government official that works in the area, lives in the area, commutes to the area, patronizes the local establishments in the area, and of course all those Yankee fans that swarm the area...they all must be bilingual huh?

Another ignorant and passive racist statement. I would suggest coming to the area and seeing the good things that are happening..including the new waterfront district that will host a huge retail center with retailers like target and Bed Bath and Beyond..as well as a number of outdoor eating establishments, waterfront espalandes...the Highbridge reopening to pedestrians/bikers to link the city once again..new parks..greening..improved infrastructure, etc.

The area has a huge upside...but then again..you can always listen to those that state "you should know Spanish" because that's all there is to the area after all..right?
Racist? The area is mostly hispanic, and many of them speak limited english, so being bilingual would help. Most professionals in the bronx that deal with the public have to be able to accomadate the enormous hispanic population, so why would be being bilingual in area that is largely hispanic with many recent immigrants be racist?

I doubt the majority of courthouse workers live in that neighborhood.

Racist would be saying that Italian, Jewish, and Irish Mobsters made New York more dangerous than in the past than it is today, like you have.

As for retail revitalizing the area, I fail to see how a bunch of $7.50 to $10 an hour jobs with crappy benefits are going to do much.

And please tell me what new parks and what greening is being done? The reopening of the Highbridge will be nice (but i'm sure it will be delayed thanks to the predicted fall in city budget revenue in the years to come). The community there has been up in arms over the loss of parkland and the giant parking garages being built.

The Bronx is better than it was 20 years, i'll agree with you there. But I find many of your opinions completely out of touch with reality and your advice potentially dangerous.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I see not much has changed in this forum.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 AM

JRock247:

Agreed that the area is mostly Spanish...but what does it matter that many/some speak limited English? All businesses, and anyone that you would typically interact with will speak English...the area caters heavily to the Bronx Government as well as Yankee Stadium visitors after all. The only thing you said about the area was that "unless you speak Spanish you will have culture shock." That is blatantly untrue and a gross distortion of reality for anyone that lives or visits there. To put it in perspective....if someone inquired about Arthur Avenue (years ago) the only thing you would have mentioned was "Unless you speak Italian you are in for a culture shock?" That is also an unfair assessment as you would have functioned and lived just fine there...and enjoyed the area to boot. That double standard is what I was referring to as a passive racist statement.

As for your comment about Jewish, Irish, and other Notorious Mobs that controlled this city 50 years ago...I stand by my statement that they were far more dangerous because they had so many politicians in their pocket, as well as police, fire dept, involved as well...that is not racist..those are facts. Good luck calling the cops on something that went down with the Mob...the guy answering the phone was likely his cousin or on the take...and that means you will be "dealt" with.

And yes I don't doubt that you fail to see why the new retail center with Big retailers, the outdoor restaurants, the opened up watefront with esplanades, bike trails, the Highbridge reopening to pedestrians/bicyclists, the greening, and the infrastructure improvements will reinvigorate the area...because all you see is a "$7.50 job with crappy benefits" and dismiss everything else...nice job.

As for my opinion...they are only the opinions of someone who was born and raised in the area, whose parents and family were born and raised in the area, and whose grandparents lived in the area since the mid 1950s...and still occupy the same building. So you may justify somehow dismissing the opinion of a real resident of the area as "out of touch" with reality..however I would more readily dismiss anyone's opinion that can only see a "$7.50 job with crappy benefits" and not the radical improvement that the new retail center with Big retailers, the outdoor restaurants, the opened up watefront with esplanades, bike trails, the Highbridge reopening to pedestrians/bicyclists, the greening, and the improved infrastructure will have on the area.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
As for your comment about Jewish, Irish, and other Notorious Mobs that controlled this city 50 years ago...I stand by my statement that they were far more dangerous because they had so many politicians in their pocket, as well as police, fire dept, involved as well...that is not racist..those are facts. Good luck calling the cops on something that went down with the Mob...the guy answering the phone was likely his cousin or on the take...and that means you will be "dealt" with.
Sorry for taking this part out and jacking the thread, but I watched Godfather last week, and got a quick reminder; those scenes of the Black Hand running the hood were real....really real!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:13 AM

yeah NooYowrker81..same people saying the same stuff over and over again....it has lost its luster.

Scatman....that was funny....I have only seen the first GodFather...and that was more than enough for me.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM

242 posts, read 926,756 times
Quote:
JRock247:

Agreed that the area is mostly Spanish...but what does it matter that many/some speak limited English? All businesses, and anyone that you would typically interact with will speak English...the area caters heavily to the Bronx Government as well as Yankee Stadium visitors after all. The only thing you said about the area was that "unless you speak Spanish you will have culture shock." That is blatantly untrue and a gross distortion of reality for anyone that lives or visits there. To put it in perspective....if someone inquired about Arthur Avenue (years ago) the only thing you would have mentioned was "Unless you speak Italian you are in for a culture shock?" That is also an unfair assessment as you would have functioned and lived just fine there...and enjoyed the area to boot. That double standard is what I was referring to as a passive racist statement.

And yes I don't doubt that you fail to see why the new retail center with Big retailers, the outdoor restaurants, the opened up watefront with esplanades, bike trails, the Highbridge reopening to pedestrians/bicyclists, the greening, and the infrastructure improvements will reinvigorate the area...because all you see is a "$7.50 job with crappy benefits" and dismiss everything else...nice job.

As for my opinion...they are only the opinions of someone who was born and raised in the area, whose parents and family were born and raised in the area, and whose grandparents lived in the area since the mid 1950s...and still occupy the same building. So you may justify somehow dismissing the opinion of a real resident of the area as "out of touch" with reality..however I would more readily dismiss anyone's opinion that can only see a "$7.50 job with crappy benefits" and not the radical improvement that the new retail center with Big retailers, the outdoor restaurants, the opened up watefront with esplanades, bike trails, the Highbridge reopening to pedestrians/bicyclists, the greening, and the improved infrastructure will have on the area.

1.) Stop believing every movie you have seen is true. Godfather was fiction. Should I judge all african americans based on New Jack City or Hispanics based on Scarface? Why? Becase they are fictional movies, so is Godfather.
Corruption was more rampant in the past but no way has it dissappeared. I'm sure theres no cops in the city taking bribes from drug traffickers. I'm sure no politicians are taking under the table money from corporate interests for sweethear land deals. The drug gangs of the 70s and 80s made things worse for New York City than organized crime did.

2.) Is it racist to point out the demographics of a neighborhood? The 2000 census of the census tract with 311 Walton classified 37.5% of the neighborhood as not speaking english well. Neighboring tracks run even higher. These things matter to most people. Would it also be racist for me to point out that chinatown is chinese? or that sheepshead bay has alot of russians? So why is it racist to point out really obvious things?

3.) The shopping center will be a huge improvement for the area, but the area is still sketchy as hell. Target and bed, bath and beyond don't solve poverty and urban neglect problems.

Last edited by Jrock247; 11-13-2007 at 05:28 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 06:02 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
That 811 Walton Avenue looks very attractive.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Yeah I've been impressed with how the area around Yankee Stadium has steadily improved the last few years. However, it is still shady there are some nearby blocks I would never be around at night. I just hope it will continue to get better.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 AM

I checked out 811 Walton and I was glad to see what was happening there. It is nice to be right on a park also....lots of greenery when you look outside. There are of course shady blocks...and there will likely always be...that's just how the city is....but nonetheless the improvements have been remarkable thusfar, and the upside in the area is substantial.

I see good things for the area...and I am looking forward to shopping at the new Bed Bath & Beyond!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City