Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 PM

81 posts, read 615,476 times

Advertisements

Petunia- For that price range, I didn't think you'd find much, but to my surprise in looking at the listings, there are quite a few coops out there in your range. But then I have to remember you are talking about a one-bedroom.

Sections of Pelham Parkway and Morris Park are nice (the sections Hustla mentioned). From a transportation standpoint, you could also take the express bus. I commute from here daily and it takes me about an hour door-to-door. However, if it were me, I'd buy in Riverdale. I would be concerned with the re-sale value and I'd want to buy in an area where people wouldn't think twice about living. Now...with that said, I saw some cute apartments in Riverdale online just shy of $200k. As I'm sure you are aware, most of these coops require a 20% down payment and board approval.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of nice neighborhoods in the Bronx. It's so conveniently located to everything and getting to the city is fast. However, it's for this reason that I'm leaving the Bronx. We'll be starting a family soon and I would not raise children here, so we bought a home in CT.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 PM

13 posts, read 51,052 times
Quote:
Instead of limiting yourself to the Bronx, you should look into Harlem, Jersey City, Long Island City, and co-ops on the Lower East Side.
If you know of a place to find listings for co-ops in Harlem, L.I.C or the LES for under $200K, please send it my way via PM please. Jersey City is not feasible given tax and safety issues.

fsval, the 1 and 2 trains in the Bronx can be a total nightmare so that does tend to impact my decision about VC and KH. I'm not absolute on keeping the commute to work to 45 minutes, that would be ideal but may not be possible. I have larger priorities. But I will check those neighborhoods out to see if the increase in commuting time is worth it.

Riverdale. I've seen that neighborhood recommended a few times. But I have serious reservations. One, a car is required to truly get around. I don't own a car and don't want to take on the expense of a car. Two, it's very far away. Instead of living in Riverdale, I might as well live in Midwood or some other south Brooklyn neighborhood. It will still be a shlep into the city but I'll be closer to family. I really don't think Riverdale is going to work for me regardless of how nice it is.

Last edited by PetuniaP; 11-06-2007 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM

253 posts, read 1,106,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Instead of limiting yourself to the Bronx, you should look into Harlem, Jersey City, Long Island City, and co-ops on the Lower East Side.
Heck if you know of a 1 bedroom apartment on the LES for under 200k send me a DM too. I'm on it! My hubby telecommutes most of the time anyway & I'm a stay at home yorkie mom!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
i dont think you'll even find a studio for 200K in the lower east side or harlem unless u mind sharing a bathroom with the entire floor. long island city, a strong maybe.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:52 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I don't want to deal with the double tax of working in NYC and living in Jersey, so Jersey city is out. Petunia and I both happen to be looking for one-bedrooms for under 200k and I haven't seen anything listed for that price in the other neighborhoods you have mentioned. (Except for maybe an occasional HDFC cash-only deal.)

If you know better, please enlighten us!
there is no double tax, whatever you pay to ny is deducted from your NJ taxes,

Last edited by Keeper; 11-07-2007 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: rude comment removed

Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
there is no double tax, whatever you pay to ny is deducted from your NJ taxes, what you know about financial matters is so little its amazing

I've never lived in New Jersey, but I have heard complaints about tax hassles from many Jersey residents. Thanks for taking the time to kindly steer me in the right direction.

Oh wait. You didn't do that, did you? Nice discourse.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,002 times
Default in reply to Calling All Bronx Residents...

Parkchester in the Bronx is affordable and convenient. You have access to subways, major highways, Macy's, plenty of supermarkets, shopping, Starbucks, Unos, and there is a newly built NY Sports Club in the area. It's fairly safe, but in any urban area one needs to be mindful and smart. Consider checking Parkchester out.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 AM

20 posts, read 48,977 times
Default 811 Walton

is a great idea with this depressed market you might be able to actually get a great deal on a unit. Close to Yankee stadium and the Court House and quick trip to Chelsea. Plus the upside on that apt. as the real estate cycle revolves is excellent.

Ciao

Old 11-12-2007, 11:05 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
true dat GottHaveVision

Old 11-12-2007, 03:05 PM

242 posts, read 926,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHaveVision View Post
is a great idea with this depressed market you might be able to actually get a great deal on a unit. Close to Yankee stadium and the Court House and quick trip to Chelsea. Plus the upside on that apt. as the real estate cycle revolves is excellent.

Ciao
Area is cheap for a reason. Yankee stadium creates serious gridlock in the area (which will get worse year round if the parking garages being built are used by people from the burbs looking to avoid the proposed fare zone in manhattan). Being close to the courthouse, how is that a positive, unless you work in the legal field or have frequent summons? Additionaly, if you don't speak spanish your going to have serious culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City