Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:05 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
My good nabe has had 3 murders already this year. That is as much if not more than many hood nabes.
It's like you're actively trying to sound pretentious at this point lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
My good nabe has had 3 murders already this year. That is as much if not more than many hood nabes.
Glendale? I didn't see it on the news. I tried Googling "Glendale Queens murder 2014" and I just found 1 stabbing on Cypress Hills Street by some cemetary back in January.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I disagree with you 100%. Stop and frisk targeted high crime areas, not low crime areas. If anything those areas benefitted most by the policy with a spillover effect throughout the rest of the city.

People bought into the touchy feely aspect of DB's campaign and the cool afro, but the truth is they made a decision that is going to make the city less safe, ESPECIALLY for the exact people who were "unfairly targeted" by stop and frisk in those bad neighborhoods.

It's hip to hate the police, and I do think that in implementing a policy like S&F it should be handled with decorum and not the typical "shut da f*** up" attitude of most NYC cops, but what it is trying to accomplish is a good thing. This was not the gestapo hauling away innocent people for making a political statement.
Do you live in the hood?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Glendale? I didn't see it on the news. I tried Googling "Glendale Queens murder 2014" and I just found 1 stabbing on Cypress Hills Street by some cemetary back in January.
The other 2 were in Ridgewood.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The other 2 were in Ridgewood.
That case (man and woman shot to death) is still under investigation. Cops are not ruling out the possibility of murder-suicide, so there's a chance it could be domestic. Case in point I don't think it's time for you to re-think a late night run to the store in your nabe yet.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Do you live in the hood?

Do you think that angle automatically makes anyones point you don't agree with invalid?

Did you study criminal justice? No you didn't. Your opinion is therefore invalid.

Same approach.

I've had 2 friends in "the hood" held up in the last month. I have a few dozen friends and associates who live in the boroughs, from high rent areas to areas bordering right on the worst. No, I don't have any friends in East New York, and if they could only afford to live there I'd let them move into my house.

What this has to do with stop and frisk and crime rates I'm not really sure. I've experienced crime, and know many people who have. If that's not good enough for you there's nothing I can do about it. If you think only people in "the hood" understand anything about the hood, that's pretty silly.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Do you think that angle automatically makes anyones point you don't agree with invalid?

Did you study criminal justice? No you didn't. Your opinion is therefore invalid.

Same approach.

I've had 2 friends in "the hood" held up in the last month. I have a few dozen friends and associates who live in the boroughs, from high rent areas to areas bordering right on the worst. No, I don't have any friends in East New York, and if they could only afford to live there I'd let them move into my house.

What this has to do with stop and frisk and crime rates I'm not really sure. I've experienced crime, and know many people who have. If that's not good enough for you there's nothing I can do about it. If you think only people in "the hood" understand anything about the hood, that's pretty silly.
What an argument. If I wanted to know what being an NBA player is like - I'll go ask one. I won't ask the person who's watched 1000 games. You don't live in the hood. You can have any opinion you want on it but you don't deal with it on a day-to-day basis. Your opinion, like many others, is formed by hearsay, what you hear from other people, impromptu visits, and the Internet.

If this city wants to solve crime I have a few suggestions, they can call or email me anytime.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 AM

503 posts, read 899,332 times
Maybe everyone's ticket to survival lies within the OP's thread title?

How about staying in past midnight when you live in the hood?!? Doesn't sound so outrageous? And how about not taking a job that requires you to start your commute at 3:30Am if you know you live in a pile of filth for a neighborhood? I feel bad when people get hurt, each and every single time; I hate reading about people getting hurt. I really and sincerely do. But seriously, if there's one thing I have noticed in the recent years is, people are getting awfully ballsy and comfortable in the hood. You can examine this by body language and posture and complete unawareness to their surroundings. Honestly, I see people with their laptops on subway carts, on the uptown 6 between 138-middletown and I just cringe. If you want to be completely oblivious to your surroundings and feel entitled to an absolute 100% safe environment where others are considerate of you - wait until you're able to live in a place that allows you to do those things.

Of course I'm only referring to those standing in front of buildings or in the streets during that hour. And just a reminder, those that do this, don't necessarily have the cleanest rap sheets amongst us.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Moving out doesn't solve lowering crime or shootings. Stop & Frisk needs to return. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, most likely its a duck. Just saying.
Why do you care what happens in poor neighborhoods? There are always going to be crime issues and more gun violence in poor neighborhoods. No sane person would hang around all that just to complain.

Cut your losses and bail out of the Bronx. Or be overwhelmed by the new heroine trade.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
That case (man and woman shot to death) is still under investigation. Cops are not ruling out the possibility of murder-suicide, so there's a chance it could be domestic. Case in point I don't think it's time for you to re-think a late night run to the store in your nabe yet.
Does that mean I cannot post about the hood since I do not live in one? As fast as I can walk to the hood, which is a short 5 minute max stroll, the hood can walk to me. We take the same trains, eat at the same restaurants, kids go to the same schools, have family and business on both sides of the border, etc... Just because you don't live in the hood does not mean you do not have a vested interest. For example, I do not want Bushwick and Cypress Hills to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City