Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The problem is, NY is very unique in this aspect. It's more integrated than just about anywhere else. There are housing projects in the middle of nice neighborhoods. The thugs aren't limited to their area. By a simple turnstile jump, they can be in any nice neighborhood via the subway.

It's not like LA where a bunch of thugs would have to load up a bunch of cars, and cruise from compton into beverly hills.
Then avoid those housing projects, problem solved!!

Btw, if the cops see someone jumping the turnstile they bust them!

If crime does go up in NYC, then you'll just have to deal with it! If it gets too bad, then MOVE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,487,406 times
One of the deaths that occurred in this batch was not actually a crime. It was a self defense shooting by what was supposed to be a carjack victim that was armed, and turned the tables on the carjackers. In this case it was a retired cop.

If the city eased up on the rules that now make it essentially impossible for a normal, law abiding citizen to own and carry a gun, it would be interesting to see how many more perps got killed when their victims turned out to be not so easy to victimize. The city would be better off with 250-500,000 legal concealed carriers on the streets.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What an argument. If I wanted to know what being an NBA player is like - I'll go ask one. I won't ask the person who's watched 1000 games. You don't live in the hood. You can have any opinion you want on it but you don't deal with it on a day-to-day basis. Your opinion, like many others, is formed by hearsay, what you hear from other people, impromptu visits, and the Internet.

If this city wants to solve crime I have a few suggestions, they can call or email me anytime.
Different people have different levels of comfort, and yes crime issues do impact the entire city.

You don't need a phd in hood studies to make comments about it, or share concerns about it. Also, since we do get questions from people who consider moves to NYC, I think it's helpful when posters tell others what neighborhoods they think are bad.

You don't need to know every nook and cranny of every bad neighborhood in the city to know what areas or bad or what areas you would avoid. That info may be useful to others.

I think some of the people who do live in hoods get offended when people post negative things about those neighborhoods. But if the shoe fits, wear it.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Does that mean I cannot post about the hood since I do not live in one? As fast as I can walk to the hood, which is a short 5 minute max stroll, the hood can walk to me. We take the same trains, eat at the same restaurants, kids go to the same schools, have family and business on both sides of the border, etc... Just because you don't live in the hood does not mean you do not have a vested interest. For example, I do not want Bushwick and Cypress Hills to get worse.
I never said you couldn't post about it. But I'm also saying in your instance, no need to worry.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Different people have different levels of comfort, and yes crime issues do impact the entire city.

You don't need a phd in hood studies to make comments about it, or share concerns about it. Also, since we do get questions from people who consider moves to NYC, I think it's helpful when posters tell others what neighborhoods they think are bad.

You don't need to know every nook and cranny of every bad neighborhood in the city to know what areas or bad or what areas you would avoid. That info may be useful to others.

I think some of the people who do live in hoods get offended when people post negative things about those neighborhoods. But if the shoe fits, wear it.
That's not the premise of the argument. It kind of escalated, but the original side-discussion was Stop and Frisk was the end it all. Right before Bloomberg went out of office there was already talk of people getting around the stop and frisk. Criminals adapt. But people who don't live in the hood are acting like Stop and Frisk is the only policy that will make this city safer, when they don't even live in these hoods and know how these criminals operate.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM

But whatever. You fearmongers (majority of you don't even deal with it on a day-to-day basis) feel free to discuss the "bloodbath" NYC is experiencing. I'm done with this thread, let the experts discuss.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,729 times
Virtually every hood in NYC is experiencing RECORD LOW crime rates and its continuing to trend in the positive direction so there's no story. When do we see the threads applauding the dramatic turnarounds in some of these former "war-zones" and that includes non-gentrifying hoods as well?

For all ya'll "I'm so concerned about crime in the hood even though I don't live there" tell us exactly what level of crime will in your eyes make it "acceptable" since your not concerned about crimes in neighborhoods like Park Slope because apparently its low enough to not warrant your "concern".

Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
But whatever. You fearmongers (majority of you don't even deal with it on a day-to-day basis) feel free to discuss the "bloodbath" NYC is experiencing. I'm done with this thread, let the experts discuss.
It's "race-baiters" under the guise of "concerned about safety in NY". Meanwhile the REAL gangstas that run this globe is robbing them blind every single day and you won't see them EVER start a thread about it

Old 05-27-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
Maybe everyone's ticket to survival lies within the OP's thread title?

How about staying in past midnight when you live in the hood?!? Doesn't sound so outrageous? And how about not taking a job that requires you to start your commute at 3:30Am if you know you live in a pile of filth for a neighborhood? I feel bad when people get hurt, each and every single time; I hate reading about people getting hurt. I really and sincerely do. But seriously, if there's one thing I have noticed in the recent years is, people are getting awfully ballsy and comfortable in the hood. You can examine this by body language and posture and complete unawareness to their surroundings. Honestly, I see people with their laptops on subway carts, on the uptown 6 between 138-middletown and I just cringe. If you want to be completely oblivious to your surroundings and feel entitled to an absolute 100% safe environment where others are considerate of you - wait until you're able to live in a place that allows you to do those things.

Of course I'm only referring to those standing in front of buildings or in the streets during that hour. And just a reminder, those that do this, don't necessarily have the cleanest rap sheets amongst us.
All good points. People need to take responsibility for their safety. Poor neighborhoods will always have crime waves that spike with warm weather and drug epidemics. There is no way for the cops to make these areas permanently safe.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Virtually every hood in NYC is experiencing RECORD LOW crime rates and its continuing to trend in the positive direction so there's no story. When do we see the threads applauding the dramatic turnarounds in some of these former "war-zones" and that includes non-gentrifying hoods as well?

For all ya'll "I'm so concerned about crime in the hood even though I don't live there" tell us exactly what level of crime will in your eyes make it "acceptable" since your not concerned about crimes in neighborhoods like Park Slope because apparently its low enough to not warrant your "concern".
NYC had a very cold winter, so that likely factored into the record low crime rates. I seriously doubt this summer will be record low, with the new wave of heroine.

Crime rates in all the big cities have always risen and falling according to socioeconomic and drug trends. Anyone who seriously thinks the low crime of the Bloomberg era is permanent, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. And at some point NYC's crime would rise regardless of whether the mayor is liberal or conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City