Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt worry about it for one day, it was Memorial Day which means lots of barbecues and block parties. Barbecues are a perfect atmosphere for lookin at someone the wrong way, or maybe hitting on someone's girl, that stuff leads to fights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
A little surge in crime stats may have beneficial effects for many struggling with sky rocketing rents and RE prices here in NY, which might be a secret strategy that the current city officials are playing to cool of the heated RE market. High crime, less love for NY, thus lower demand and COL. Does any one agree with this except invested landlords?

Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I agree that you don't have to live in a hood to talk about it or post about it. With that said at a certain point what good does talking about the hood do? It's always going to be there in some form or another and we'll always have rises and falls among both the crime and drug rates.
Dialogue on these type of issues are a good thing. Much better than the ways of back in the day of staying completely clear of certain nabes. That mentality does no good for the nabes that have serious QOL issues. I like being able to visit all the nearby nabes. I do not want to get into the old ways of telling my kids to not go past that street like how I was told decades ago. So it is a good thing to talk about the issues and to visit the nabes that are largely infected by them. We can be progressive. Crime rates can always be improved and gun violence further eliminated. Think about what crime rates were when we were cavemen or during the Wild West days. People should not have to accept that certain nabes will always have violence, especially not on Memorial Day.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Dialogue on these type of issues are a good thing. Much better than the ways of back in the day of staying completely clear of certain nabes. That mentality does no good for the nabes that have serious QOL issues. I like being able to visit all the nearby nabes. I do not want to get into the old ways of telling my kids to not go past that street like how I was told decades ago. So it is a good thing to talk about the issues and to visit the nabes that are largely infected by them. We can be progressive. Crime rates can always be improved and gun violence further eliminated. Think about what crime rates were when we were cavemen or during the Wild West days. People should not have to accept that certain nabes will always have violence, especially not on Memorial Day.
Crime rates cannot always be improved, as those who chose to live certain lifestyles will always have that choice. They can be punished or incarcerated but there is no country on earth who doesn't have cities with bad neighborhoods and areas that it's best to avoid. Even small towns have the bad side of town.

You will have to tell your kids to avoid certain parts of the city if you care for their safety.

Factors such as socioeconomic conditions, various other trends, and what drug is popular will always cause the crime rate rise and fall. It's not a big deal.

Crime was low this winter because of the cold weather, now it's going to go up this summer now that people can hang out. Not a big deal, it's a regular cycle.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:21 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The problem is, NY is very unique in this aspect. It's more integrated than just about anywhere else. There are housing projects in the middle of nice neighborhoods. The thugs aren't limited to their area. By a simple turnstile jump, they can be in any nice neighborhood via the subway.

It's not like LA where a bunch of thugs would have to load up a bunch of cars, and cruise from compton into beverly hills.
I understand your point about NYC and you are correct, But I think you would be surprised about Beverly Hills. A stones throw down La Cienega Blvd from BH and you are in a crip hood.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:50 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Quote:
There are other factors that have nothing to do with who the mayor is that need to be brought into consideration. There's a big explosion in heroine use and at least some of this crime may be traced to the heroine trade.

The usual bad neighborhoods are being hit hard (Bronx, upper Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn), etc.

After the summer is over, the stats of this year can be compared to last year. Crime may very well be up.
Not surprised and should be expected.

Bad economy, still in recession quack politicians, bad economy = no jobs

No jobs = more crime

Move along more of this to come as years go on until we actually have a recovery for everyone to enjoy. Nothing gov. can do about it as he has no control what the federal reserve does.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:05 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Why dont you guys move? All you guys do is complain

Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,295 times
The only positive part of the news: "an 18-year-old carjacking suspect was shot in the head by the man he was apparently trying to rob. The suspect was pronounced dead at the hospital."

'"My son Manuel, he was in school, he was working after school, he didn't have time to hang out. He just went over to his sister's house for the weekend," said the suspect's mother, Wanda Ocampo.'

P.S. Wonder where the 18 year old got the gun...

Last edited by ny123; 05-27-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 06:06 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
One of the deaths that occurred in this batch was not actually a crime. It was a self defense shooting by what was supposed to be a carjack victim that was armed, and turned the tables on the carjackers. In this case it was a retired cop.
Carjacking victim fatally shoots one suspect, second one arrested | 7online.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If the city eased up on the rules that now make it essentially impossible for a normal, law abiding citizen to own and carry a gun, it would be interesting to see how many more perps got killed when their victims turned out to be not so easy to victimize. The city would be better off with 250-500,000 legal concealed carriers on the streets.
There are already close to that number.

Last edited by bigjake54; 05-27-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,295 times
Quote:
If someone is so so worried about what happens in the hood areas, that person should MOVE OUT OF THEM and DON'T go there. It's that simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Why dont you guys move? All you guys do is complain
Do you assume most people living in the hood are not worried about their safety and would move if they are?

Violent crimes are bad things, so why, instead of tough punishment to reduce crimes, just ask people to move? Let the crimes go on and the people who have no choice but living there or nearby be killed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
still no justification to stop and frisk innocent people
Why? It is not like arresting or imprisoning innocent people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Just because you don't live in the hood does not mean you do not have a vested interest.
+1000.

We don't keep our activities in the confinement of our house or building or block (unless in house arrest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City