Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 10:31 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times

Advertisements

Al Sharpton??? Nobody cares about him. Not even black people.

Just a big mouth with no influence. A media plant.

Why do you guys keep referencing him???

Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 PM

250 posts, read 269,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is the mindset that Bratton needs to change. It shouldn't have been done via City Council legislative action though because now it's irreversible and good cops will stop taking action to avoid lawsuits. The election was about to usher in a new regime which was obviously going to be the antithesis of Bloomberg/Kelly. Why not let the situation play out on it's own?

The overly-agressive Kelly years have fostered distrust and even hate amongst the citizens, and even within the department itself. Kelly was forced as time went on to ever-increasingly compartmentalize and create new units to carry out his more aggressive tactics because the bulk of the officers would not play his games.

And those units don't have to follow protocol. Just like the street crimes unit in the 90's where they had the backing of then mayor Giuliani, Bratton, the brass, the PBA and to some extent, the public. Behaving like paramilitary troops, the concept of community policing died and the mindset of lets treat everyone who isn't a cop like a hostile grew and took over the department like a cancer, ruining the reputation of the force and created more division between the police and communities across the city.

I even heard through the grapevine that morale is at a low within the department. Gee, I wonder why? Maybe it's because the meatheads who occupy chain of command lack the intestinal fortitude to correct the mistakes of the past. Lawsuit after lawsuit, bad publicity after the other, you would think these kinds of things would end but no, it continues. Some of them, to this day, are still doing the same damn thing over and over again. It's insane. I wager that a lab rat, with a brain about the size of a penny could a better job than those who are in the top echelons of the NYPD. If that ever comes to fruition, then I've given up all hope for the NYPD.

Had the Bloomberg admin implemented the necessary changes regarding S&F, and other questionable police tactics, the city council wouldn't had to vote unanimously for reform.

I feel bad for a lot of these officers because many of them are professional and courteous and don't behave like the madmen you saw in S.I. They have to share the embarrassment from these clowns who though it was okay to choke man who posed no immediate danger to them. I hope Bratton fixes this but I have very little hope. It's going to to take years to fix and on top of all that, politicians, who are going to run for mayor from the other side, will use something to scare New Yorkers back into submission like Giuliani did on the steps of One Police Plaza in 93.

At the end of the day, you are working for the people of NYC. Not every black man who mouths off at you warrants an excessive use of force, that includes a choke hold while arresting someone based on some alleged sale of untaxed cigs(what ever happened to writing a summons?). The city's tax dollars pay for your salaries. I would love the NYPD to be the example where you can be assertive in catching criminals, dealing with QOL, gangbangers and others knuckleheads that hurt communities across the city while awarding professionalism and courtesy to the people you serve who may not share your skin color or your socioeconomic background. Is it so hard to see those you protect as people?

Another thing that has yet to be proven, where is the evidence that Eric Garner sold untaxed cigarettes?

Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
For doing their job?

How about if that tub of lard obeyed the officers? Guess where he comes from that would bring too much Shame of the Hood onto him. He has to act tough.
so sick that you approve of this type of stuff

Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario View Post
you're pathetic. You would get on your knees and give the cops a blow job cause they ask you too.

A cop could murder someone's kid, then murder the father, and you would defend them saying "oh you liberals, gun control etc...especially if the victim is black.
+1000

Old 07-20-2014, 01:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
This is pretty much how I see it as well. Yes, it's a tragedy, the guy shouldn't have resisted. How is it the cops fault that the guy was so unhealthy that he literally died from a minor altercation. The guy wasn't even choked out. As soon as the cops had him subdued, he wasn't even being choked. The officer that choked him should be fired, for improper procedure, but in no way did he murder anyone. That man was not long for this world, and he caused his own death by breaking the law and then resisting arrest.

Did you see the video? If so then please specify for me where in the video did this man resist arrest. He was not resisting but was being harassed by the officers who had nothing else better to with their time but to pick on a former felon selling illegal cigs (as they claim). The cops couldn't even identify who he had sold cigarettes too however, they are making the claim that he was indeed selling. Now if he had attracted attention onto himself by breaking up a fight as the video recorder and his wife had said then obviously he was performing a noble deed (vigilante) and did not deserve this kind of treatment shortly before his death by the cops who re instigated (ironic) an altercation.

The man was fine up until when he was taken from behind around the neck saying he couldn't breathe and now he is dead. You obviously don't know what its like to be an asthmatic but to be in a physical struggle while not being able to breathe is a nightmare not even Freddy Kruger himself wouldn't even take part in.

I would not consider an altercation where someone is quickly killed minor. As for being unhealthy this is exactly why police officers need to review their procedures and keep their hands to themselves without the use of force on an individual due to the fact that the suspected individual may have medical issues which may result in complications under physical duress. Unless the person is committing a crime at that moment or has recently committed a crime, and then if it so happens to result in a physical altercation where the individual begins to suffer as a result of a pre diagnosed illness then it would make sense to say that the suspected individual brought the actions onto themselves. This is not one of them.

Nowhere in the video did the cops ever tell him to put his hands behind his back or say to him that he was under arrest. The officers only decided to act when the rest of their mean street posse showed up. Kind of a cowardly move but cowardice is well within their character we all know it.

What is it that these officers could have done one might ask? Well the answer is fairly simple. They could go out there and find real criminals and stop harassing those who have not committed crimes. Plain and simple. We live in a city where there is plenty of crime; they can go and make themselves more useful with the tax money I and every other hard working New Yorker pays for to these lazy scumbags who refuse to do their job properly. GIVE THE MAN A CITATION AND BE ON YOUR MERRY WAY.

It is well within our RIGHT to resist an unlawful arrest as of course was not seen in this video (not on the part of the deceased victim but on the unlawful attempted arrest by the officer). I didn't say it but the supreme court did. Feel free to click and read. It is quite interesting.

We actually DO have the right to resist an unlawful arrest even if it means taking the life of the arresting officer if deemed necessary.

I mean why should I get hand cuffed, taken in, finger printed, picture taken, and then thrown into a cell for a few hours till I go before a judge. Now I'm part of a system which may hinder future prospects at success let alone a current job in this economy. Sounds like a need for resistance if it were happening to me that's for damn sure.

I'm glad that you feel that he was not longed for this world. You can go and tell his wife and kids that. Hopefully they will be able to sleep well knowing that they will be fatherless at the same time pray that it doesn't happen to any family member of yours. No matter where they are.

Your Right of Defense Against Unlawful Arrest

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-20-2014 at 02:41 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 05:38 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQASQH_28js

Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 AM

409 posts, read 512,270 times
Let’s be clear here. The guy was not hurting anyone, not threatening anyone, not causing any kind of problem.

He was SUSPECTED of not giving the State it’s share of the profit from tobacco sales.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:37 AM

588 posts, read 947,714 times
Looked like excessive force.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 AM

384 posts, read 512,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I'm sorry but that man was not 400 pounds. My best guess would 300 to 350 not that weight is the issue.
According to various articles, he was 350 lbs. They weighed him in May on the occasion of his 31st arrest.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 AM

577 posts, read 900,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
if the cops want to arrest you there is nothing you can do to stop them.. you can't talk your way out of it, you can't wrestle you way out of it, etc. This dude should have kept his mouth shut and allowed the cops to arrest him. The only statement that he should say when he gets to the precinct is "I WANT A LAWYER."
Agreed but the cops were way out of line and aren't supposed to use a chokehold on anyone for any reason. He was not being arrested for a violent crime which makes this even crazier.

No life is worth more than another but there was a very tragic cold blooded murder of a delivery man on SI this year and it didn't get a fraction of the outrage or concern this has gotten. Where was sharpton then defending the rights and safety of the vulnerable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: