Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times

Advertisements

[quote=Above Average Bear;35730249]If PD lets it ride that sends a powerful message to the street.=quote]
I can see from the video that this incident took place on a commercial street in front of a row of storefronts. So I would guess that the local merchants had complained to the police about this guy. I can understand how a store owner wouldn't want someone standing in front of his business selling bootleg cigarettes to passersby. I wouldn't either. Maybe if the guy had been a little more discreet it wouldn't have become an issue.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
[quote=r small;35730591]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
If PD lets it ride that sends a powerful message to the street.=quote]
I can see from the video that this incident took place on a commercial street in front of a row of storefronts. So I would guess that the local merchants had complained to the police about this guy. I can understand how a store owner wouldn't want someone standing in front of his business selling bootleg cigarettes to passersby. I wouldn't either. Maybe if the guy had been a little more discreet it wouldn't have become an issue.
The bottom line is if he didn't resist we would be onto other threads. If he did nothing wrong the arrest would have been voided.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:15 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
[quote/]The bottom line is if he didn't resist we would be onto other threads. If he did nothing wrong the arrest would have been voided.[/quote]
I agree. He should have just accepted the arrest. He knew the drill.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
[quote/]The bottom line is if he didn't resist we would be onto other threads. If he did nothing wrong the arrest would have been voided.
I agree. He should have just accepted the arrest. He knew the drill.[/quote]

From what I've read about him he knew the drill quite well.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:26 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I agree. He should have just accepted the arrest. He knew the drill.
From what I've read about him he knew the drill quite well.[/quote]

30 times. The last one in May for....(wait for it....) selling untaxed/illegal cigs...LOL

Old 07-20-2014, 12:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This wasn't an unlawful arrest. And in NY, you DON'T have the right to resist an arrest that YOU decide is unlawful.

If you have not committed a crime and are being deprived of liberty by a legal authority whether it be by a law enforcement officer or a civilian then what would you call it?

Regardless of what the NY state law claims isn't within your right, the supreme court says it is well within your right to do so especially if one fails to allege that a crime has been committed within jurisdiction. This includes defective warrants or one issued without affidavit.

"When a person, being without fault, is in a place where he has a right to be, is violently assaulted, he may, without retreating, repel by force, and if, in the reasonable exercise of his right of self defense, his assailant is killed, he is justified.” Runyan v. State, 57 Ind. 80; Miller v. State, 74 Ind. 1.

“These principles apply as well to an officer attempting to make an arrest, who abuses his authority and transcends the bounds thereof by the use of unnecessary force and violence, as they do to a private individual who unlawfully uses such force and violence.” Jones v. State, 26 Tex. App. I; Beaverts v. State, 4 Tex. App. 1 75; Skidmore v. State, 43 Tex. 93, 903.

I didn't make this up

Your Right of Defense Against Unlawful Arrest

Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
If you have not committed a crime and are being deprived of liberty by a legal authority whether it be by a law enforcement officer or a civilian then what would you call it?

Regardless of what the NY state law claims isn't within your right, the supreme court says it is well within your right to do so especially if one fails to allege that a crime has been committed within jurisdiction. This includes defective warrants or one issued without affidavit.

"When a person, being without fault, is in a place where he has a right to be, is violently assaulted, he may, without retreating, repel by force, and if, in the reasonable exercise of his right of self defense, his assailant is killed, he is justified.” Runyan v. State, 57 Ind. 80; Miller v. State, 74 Ind. 1.

“These principles apply as well to an officer attempting to make an arrest, who abuses his authority and transcends the bounds thereof by the use of unnecessary force and violence, as they do to a private individual who unlawfully uses such force and violence.” Jones v. State, 26 Tex. App. I; Beaverts v. State, 4 Tex. App. 1 75; Skidmore v. State, 43 Tex. 93, 903.

I didn't make this up

Your Right of Defense Against Unlawful Arrest
dude, read the disclaimer on your link:

As a practical matter one should try to avoid relying on the above in an actual confrontation with law enforcement agents, who are likely not to know or care about any of it. Some recent courts have refused to follow these principles, and grand juries, controlled by prosecutors, have refused to indict officers who killed innocent people claiming the subject "resisted" or "looked like he might have a gun". Once dedicated to "protect and serve", far too many law enforcement officers have become brutal, lawless occupying military forces.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:29 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Cigarette importing from the south most often goes along with gun importing, same people and sources.
As is well known. Hoping for tip of the iceberg-ism is my guess.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Generally speaking, one shouldn't base their argument on the first google search hit alone...

Now that we have that out of the way, this was a lawful arrest. The cops were in the midst of explaining that to him before he started flailing his arms around and getting worked up. There was a 911 call in regards to his actions and the officers observed a sale.

Admittedly, this is a petty crime, but it is a crime nonetheless. No matter how many times people on the internet say it, it won't become suddenly true: this was NOT an unlawful arrest situation.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
how was the arrest unlawful? The narcs told him what he was being arrested for. Also, you don't know what the video didn't record...

We are not debating the events that took place prior to the recording of the video other than the video recorder claiming that the man had just broken up a fight. It is the events that took place while filming the footage the fact that this can happen to anyone anywhere at any given time.

You have the right to question authority and if they cannot provide the necessary evidence or state the reasons for your arrest if you are innocent then it would an unlawful arrest which can lead to unlawful detainment if you are being detained after the arrest. There are other ways to handle this situation other than was seen in the footage. If you have proof that the man was breaking the law then issue him a citation where he is required to appear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: