Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by August2020 View Post
Why is it that the police never kill whites for minor crimes, like selling cigarettes?
Whites typically sell cigarettes by working for tobacco retailers, not going into business for themselves. Less lucrative, but the police don't seem to mind it as much.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodaloop View Post
Dear Bronxguyanese,

You can be arrested for refusing to provide ID, if an officer observes a violation. Also, the officers that you encountered could have also arrested you for Trespassing, because you refused to provide ID to prove that you reside at your location. The officers choose to use their discretion, and not book you.

Also Mr. Monday Morning QB Police officers don't walk around with the medical history of every perp they encounter, nor do they have the expertise to make on the field evaluations on a persons health. And I would not expect any officer to risk their life to go "soft" on someone because they could possibly get injured. They have their own health and safety to worry about.

Sincerely,

Yes I think I made myself clear when I mentioned that you do not have to consent to present your identification due to the fact that you have not committed any criminal actions. As it is within your right to do so.

Yes if the individual has committed a violation (turnstile hoppers) within their eyes or presence and they approach the individual committing the act you MUST provide ID. There is no way around that.

I shouldn't have to provide ID in my residence. They're the ones who were trespassing not me. Not to say that the officers used their discretion not to book me however, they may have been ignorant of the fact and hadn't known. Whether they know it or not unless you're getting arrested (Miranda Rights) their not going to tell you what YOUR rights are, and if they can get away with something generally speaking why would they? If I know something that you don't and it benefits me why would I share the info, if the end result is me losing that benefit? Considering that they respected my right and moved on.

Sure you're free to present to them your ID if you have not committed any violations. That's how we earn the term "sheep". If I'm not going to use my rights THEN WHY READ THEM TO ME WHEN I GET ARRESTED (even though its protocol as to prevent incrimination of yourself before a trial). The information is out there use what you will.

Im not saying that police officers need to walk around with a medical history book of every perp they encounter. But if they are going to respond in this manner where someone is killed as a result of their excessive use of force, then they can sure as heck fit the bill and take responsibility.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-21-2014 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM

250 posts, read 269,387 times
Quote:
Why is it that the police never kill whites for minor crimes, like selling cigarettes?

They do, trust me they do. I've seen videos on youtube and elsewhere where white men and women are beaten and sometimes killed by overzealous cops in this country. It does happen despite what people wanna believe. Still, some cop just can't resist the temptation of abusing their power when it comes to dealing with black people. It's an itch that they cannot control which is why Garner is dead.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yes I think I made myself clear when I mentioned that you do not have to consent to present your identification due to the fact that you have not committed any criminal actions. As it is within your right to do so.

Yes if the individual has committed a violation (turnstile hoppers) within their eyes or presence and they approach the individual committing the act you MUST provide ID. There is no way around that.

I shouldn't have to provide ID in my residence. They're the ones who were trespassing not me. Not to say that the officers used their discretion not to book me however, they may have been ignorant of the fact and hadn't known. Whether they know it or not unless you're getting arrested (Miranda Rights) their not going to tell you what YOUR rights are, and if they can get away with something generally speaking why would they? If I know something that you don't and it benefits me why would I share the info, if the end result is me losing that benefit? Considering that they respected my right and moved on.

Sure you're free to present to them your ID if you have not committed any violations. That's how we earn the term "sheep". If I'm not going to use my rights THEN WHY READ THEM TO ME WHEN I GET ARRESTED (even though its protocol as to prevent incrimination of yourself before a trial). The information is out there use what you will.
Well said. Amazed how many people genuinely don't mind living in a police state.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 PM

And here's another case of police officers in Staten Island, not far from where Garner died, using their unchecked, authority on another man According to the guy filming, the man seen on the ground seems to have done nothing wrong. Batons out in full view while the guy they are arresting seems to be in a submissive to the cops. I'm sure the courts will enjoy dismissing whatever bullsh*** charges the cops can put out of their asses. And you and I will pay, out of pocket for the lawsuits that are impending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4c-...YSUpyEZegRRLeA

And here's the extended footage of the S.I cops cornering Eric Garner. It's gets disturbing after the choke hold when the EMTs show up to "do" their job. Some job they did. You go to school, get a license, become a medical technichian and you don't even administer CPR on the spot??? Where is the defibrillator??? WTF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jq4o-J5R88

I'm sure some of you will continue to defend this inexcusable act. Hey, I know it's hard for you guys to think critically. Hacks have hard time doing do, so you need to be feed a spoonful of talking points, not examine what's in front of your eyes and the facts surrounding the case. Cops can do no wrong or when they do, they are justified, says dumbass PBA president, (Personified Bonehead Association) Pat Lynch. And don't expect the S.I DA, Dan Donovan to do anything drastic to these cops. S.I is home to a lot of cops and firefighters and I think he's facing reelection soon so I doubt he'll bring down the hammer on these guys.

Typical of those who lack leadership.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I don't see what people expect cops to do. Yes I'm well aware there are police brutality cases that are legit, I've seen all the videos just like everyone else. But c'mon, this guy was caught red handed performing an illegal activity. .

"Oh yes selling untaxed cigarettes is such an illegal activity that a death sentence would be appropriate.
Or maybe walking while being black and poor. Another crime".

It is just amazing how sick some people can be. This is murder pure and simple and any decent cop will abhor this as it just makes his life harder when he has to deal with people who now have further proof that a cop is their natural enemy, even if they aren't people who engage in violent or blatantly criminal activity.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Because as far as the PBA, some cops and the morons who defend them are concerned, walking while black and poor is itself a crime.

If not having ID is illegal then why does the USA not have a national ID card?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
Its an unfortunate story. But the perp should never have resisted and started venting like that.

People, if the police are going to arrest you, just let them! File a complaint or lawsuit later.

I will say, the cop wearing the green shirt should have let up when the other cop (black shirt in the video) told him to let up because he had been restrained already.

That dude is in serious trouble me thinks

I just cant see how a man who is unemployed and left to sell "loosies" on the street is in a position to file a lawsuit. You know full well that a mere complaint will be ignored unless Sharpton gets involved.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Repped. One reason it's a crime is selling contraband (selling cigs without a license) deprives the government of tax revenue. ) is illegal.

And the penalty for that is death!

Show me a white kid who sells weed and who was murdered as a result and I will agree with you.

With the large numbers of cops around, some big enough to handle themselves, its of real concern that they couldn't subdue him without murdering him.

And yes things get out of hand, but what really indicts them as MURDERERS is the fact that even after they killed him they seemed unconcerned about what just happened. No attempt to revive him when he said that he couldn't breathe.

When folks like you justify murder because of how he reacted, and his reaction wasn't violent based on the video, you condone a police state. One day a cop might stop you, and as you go for your ID he shoots you because he thought that you reached for something else. Ahmadou Diallo should ring a bell. Didn't resist arrests but he got over 40 bullets.

Bad policing is what it is, and it should never be condoned.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
"Oh yes selling untaxed cigarettes is such an illegal activity that a death sentence would be appropriate.
Or maybe walking while being black and poor. Another crime".

It is just amazing how sick some people can be. This is murder pure and simple and any decent cop will abhor this as it just makes his life harder when he has to deal with people who now have further proof that a cop is their natural enemy, even if they aren't people who engage in violent or blatantly criminal activity.

Selling untaxed cigarettes is akin to jaywalking. A minor violation. Petty commerce is what it is really. This excessive use of force, this blatant attempt to violently subdue a man to his death was totally uncalled for. He was still handcuffed while being placed on the stretcher. Heads have to roll and DeBlasio better do what is right or he will lose all the support that was awarded to him during and after the election. Fire the cops involved. Fire their commanding officer, remove all the guys from the top brass for being useless and for allowing this animal who put the choke hold on Garner to be on active duty while he had a history of police misconduct Fire the EMT workers for not doing their friggin jobs and have the officers brought up on charges. Make an example out of them and send a message to wanna be rambos in the force that if you want to abuse/maim/kill the citizens of NY with impunity, by all means try it and you'll join your scumbag brethren in prison.

We need to hold bad cops accountable for their actions just like every other civil servant who abuses his or her power. And make filming cops LEGAL! This is very important. Without the video, Garner's death would have been in vain. The good cops of NYC have their work cut out for them. I feel bad that they have to share the embarrassment from this.

And for the sake of human decency, get rid of Pat Lynch. Every time he opens his mouth, he becomes more of an ass than he already is. A union rep shouldn't be this dense, desensitized from what happened. This man has no soul. I've heard some silly things from all union reps from DC37, MTA Transit Workers Union all the way to the Teacher's Union and usually I just chuckle about it but this guy is unbelievable! Wow! He makes Fernando Mateo look like Thomas Paine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: