Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 12:03 PM

346 posts, read 383,068 times

Advertisements

I have lived all of my 62 years in New York, specifically Staten Island. While I do enjoy going to Manhattan for the great entertainment and cultural choices such as Broadway and Museums I have never wanted to live there. I much prefer having a house with a yard and a porch on a quiet street with plenty of parking. Others may prefer Manhattan, but not this New Yorker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:03 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
It's not just Manhattan that's expensive. It's the whole area including the surrounding Burbs. Let's say you have a family that earns 200K a year pre tax. They have 100K to put down on a home. Where are they going? Bayside? bay Ridge? Riverdale? I don't think so. That's the group that's fleeing the area.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
It's not just Manhattan that's expensive. It's the whole area including the surrounding Burbs. Let's say you have a family that earns 200K a year pre tax. They have 100K to put down on a home. Where are they going? Bayside? bay Ridge? Riverdale? I don't think so. That's the group that's fleeing the area.
This is correct. It's the middle class that is fleeing regardless of race.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:51 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some of these people have never even lived in NYC, but get upset when learning of Manhattan prices kills their NYC dream!
NYC didn't kill my dream actually! I pretty much used NYC as a stepping stone (as many others do) so I could place it on my resume. ha I really hate to break it to you but most people just use NYC as a stepping stone and have no real long-term goal of staying here.

It worked well for me I applied to a job at 10:00p on Sunday and was messaged 8:00a the next day from HR asking for a phone interview which is for tomorrow.

So thank you NYC for helping me get to where I want, but it's not gonna work out between us now. It's not you it's me... and my higher standards of living.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
This thread has taken a weird turn. I can't understand the poster calling everyone "tools" etc for living and working in NY. I am second generation in NYC, my grandparents were all immigrants who came to this country and came to NYC, Manhattan and Brooklyn. I have lived my entire life in NYC and working in NYC. For many, they would say my husband and I have "made it", we have the "American Dream"....and for them we have. For us personally, living the dream means I can't be a stay at home mom, I have to work full time because my husbands city salary isn't enough to support our mortgage and family. I have our younger two kids in Catholic $chool, because after putting the older two though public school, the public high school was just OFF THE HOOK and there was no way we were dealing with that again. We are able to pay all of our bills, but after that we can save no money. There is nothing left over. For us, this isn't living but mearly exisiting.
My husband is going to retire and we are leaving NY in 2015. That is a personal choice for us. I believe we will have a better quality of life, and at this stage in my life, I don't live my life by Dogma. I do what is right for me, my family. That doesn't mean NYC sucks or people who live here are "tools". Their quality of life, or what they are looking for just differs from mine.
I recently reconnected on facebook with a friend that my cousins grew up with and we met for lunch. She and her husbands are lawyers, they have a small 2 bedroom apartment across from Central Park. She has a nanny. She told me how much she loves it that the nanny can take her kids to the park right there and she can jog there. It was wonderful catching up with her and wonderful that she loves the life she's worked so hard to build. She obviously has more money and wealth than I will ever have but at the same time, her life isn't one I want to have. When I told her we were going to be moving she said she can't ever envision moving out of Manhattan.
I think that the people should be respectful of other people's choices. Happiness is defined differently for everyone.
Well said Hazellect. It sounds like you are putting your family first and thinking about saving for the future. Having a nanny raise your own child sounds really depressing, but if your friend is happy with that Manhattan lifestyle then great for her

I definitely agree that NYC doesn't suck or people who live here are "tools". It's a preference thing. I prefer, like you, to have what I would consider a higher quality of life so I plan on doing just that. Good luck with your move. I'm moving myself in a few months and too excited!

Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, but you see, it's embarrassing for people to say they cannot afford it. The primary reason many of these posters don't like NYC is they can't afford it.

If they just didn't like the subway or the crowds, they would not have to make all these additional justifications about it. Even you ultimately mention the cost of living as first your factors.

If people would just say it's too expensive to live well in Manhattan or in metro NYC for them, there'd be no objections from me or from anyone else on this thread.
It's not embarrassing at all. Many people on C-D have said that they cannot afford a higher quality of life here that they could elsewhere, however, that is not always the case or the reason why people leave which is my objection to your posts. You can't just assume that "oh, they are leaving Manhattan so they can't afford it". No, perhaps they just simply do not want to pay for it and would rather spend their hard earned money on more fulfilling things in cleaner, greener areas.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
There are plenty of homeowners making that much per year and less in those neighborhoods. It amazes me people can be so snooty about what neighborhood they want to live in NYC when they don't have a career that even has the potential of living anywhere near the city center of the city.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
It's not embarrassing at all. Many people on C-D have said that they cannot afford a higher quality of life here that they could elsewhere, however, that is not always the case or the reason why people leave which is my objection to your posts. You can't just assume that "oh, they are leaving Manhattan so they can't afford it". No, perhaps they just simply do not want to pay for it and would rather spend their hard earned money on more fulfilling things in cleaner, greener areas.
Multiple people here are ending their rants with they just can't afford it. Since they can't afford it they have to justify it to themselves, because they don't like to think of themselves as poor. And apparently they are too prideful to do areas like Bay Ridge or Riverdale.

But most of these people will rant for years on leaving NYC on this very forum, and yet they never move out of NYC. You don't need an exist visa to leave, you know. The problem is I don't think many of these people have the money to move elsewhere without ending homeless.

So all they can do is rant, because they can't live the life in NYC and they can't move.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Multiple people here are ending their rants with they just can't afford it. Since they can't afford it they have to justify it to themselves, because they don't like to think of themselves as poor. And apparently they are too prideful to do areas like Bay Ridge or Riverdale.

But most of these people will rant for years on leaving NYC on this very forum, and yet they never move out of NYC. You don't need an exist visa to leave, you know. The problem is I don't think many of these people have the money to move elsewhere without ending homeless.

So all they can do is rant, because they can't live the life in NYC and they can't move.
I can agree with you there that some people are stuck here. It's an unfortunate situation. Maybe their family is here, or their job that cannot easily be transferred. I probably would be stuck here too if I didn't work a million jobs and save up for a house down payment so I could easily move back. In that case, those who complain but do nothing about it have no right to complain.

I may complain a little lol but at the same time I work hard to ensure I get the life I desire at the end of the day and work pretty dang hard for it too.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
There are plenty of homeowners making that much per year and less in those neighborhoods. It amazes me people can be so snooty about what neighborhood they want to live in NYC when they don't have a career that even has the potential of living anywhere near the city center of the city.
That own homes? I posed a question to you, A couple with a family (2 kids), making 200K a year. They have 100K to put down on a home. Your saying they can purchase. a home in Riverdale, Bay Ridge, or Astoria? These were once a bastion of just middle class folks. I'm saying 100% no freakin way. The title of thread is people leaving the big apple. That's in a nutshell the group that's fleeing. Why do you think Catholic schools are closing? Those middle class families that had 2-4 kids are leaving for the burbs or the state entirely. Middle class folks are no different then upper or lower class people. They want to buy a home in a SAFE area that some amenities. BTW there was an article in the daily news stating that middle class blacks are leaving southern Queens to move back down South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City