Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 09:34 AM

101 posts, read 172,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Awesome....there's a room with no windows for $1250 p/mo in the trendy East Village somewhere with your name on it.
Really? I thought it would cost more than that in Manhattan, haha.

I'm probably going to end up in Queens or Brooklyn upon arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,946,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingerBananafish View Post
Really? I thought it would cost more than that in Manhattan, haha.

I'm probably going to end up in Queens or Brooklyn upon arrival.
A room meaning an illegally converted room (half a true room) lol.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:31 AM

57 posts, read 57,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I live in Manhattan, and keep a car here. While I can't really cost justify it, I really like having it. I generally don't use it around Manhattan (although it occasionally happen at very off hours, or on Sundays.) But if you want to get out of the city, or to the parts of the city where it take multiple transit changes and lots of time to get to.

I particularly like being able to shop outside of NYC. The supermarkets outside of Manhattan, and even the boroughs, are much better. And even the better stores in the boroughs pretty much require a car.
Agree
I live in Manhattan and have a car and a 4x4 truck.

It's great; I hop in the car and go upstate to shop for fruit and vegetables fresh right out of the ground at the farms,fresh raw honey from bee keepers,the best fresh butchered pork,beef,lamb,chicken,game hens,antiquing, and eating the best food from small local restaurants that can't be matched in Manhattan.
Drive to NJ and NY sea ports and buy fresh fish,lobsters and shell fish right off the fishing trawlers.

When the weather brings bus and trains to halt I hope in my 4x4 truck and travel any where busting through
snow and flooded streets.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I know how to address accordingly per season, I'm gay so I don't care what girls think, and I never have to wait long for the train. If I need to quickly get to the airport I could take a taxi.

A car is not necessary and would be a burdensome expense and hindrance for my lifestyle. On Fridays I am out at the bar drinking till 4am and in no state to drive a car (think terrible accident).

Not everyone is interested in the same lifestyle and some people here seem to have difficulty accepting that.
I'm straight and I have gay and lesbian friends I hang with and they tell me they get moist when riding in my Dodge 1500 4x4.

During Sandy I helped them get around in my 4x4; we went out to unaffected areas out of Manhattan to buy food,water etc..... .

Old 11-17-2014, 10:43 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,721,110 times
I've been around the country, and honestly most other cities aren't as good. They are just too small for me and not dense at all. Most "cities" look like the burbs with no actual city life.

The only other city I can see myself living in besides NYC would be Tokyo. Seoul is also not bad, the food there is outstanding.
When I retire, while other people move to the South or whatever, I wouldn't mind going to Tokyo and opening a small bar/restaurant there. One of those 6 seaters, like the old timers.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,003,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I live in Manhattan, and keep a car here. While I can't really cost justify it, I really like having it. I generally don't use it around Manhattan (although it occasionally happen at very off hours, or on Sundays.) But if you want to get out of the city, or to the parts of the city where it take multiple transit changes and lots of time to get to.

I particularly like being able to shop outside of NYC. The supermarkets outside of Manhattan, and even the boroughs, are much better. And even the better stores in the boroughs pretty much require a car.
My idea of getting out of the cuty is vacation. I don't shop or hang out in NYC suburbs. If your life and social circle is in the city there is absolutely no reason for a car here.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,003,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTCHEESE View Post
I'm straight and I have gay and lesbian friends I hang with and they tell me they get moist when riding in my Dodge 1500 4x4.

During Sandy I helped them get around in my 4x4; we went out to unaffected areas out of Manhattan to buy food,water etc..... .
Thats them. Generally people move to NYC not because they intend to drive everywhere. Anyway, since yoy claim affordability is such an issue with you, what are you doing in Manhattan? No one equates Manhattan lifestyle with cars.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Anyway, since yoy claim affordability is such an issue with you, what are you doing in Manhattan?

Because affordability is an issue with me is why I can afford to live in Tribeca for 7 months and Panama for

"No one equates Manhattan lifestyle with cars" Really What are those things with wheels that line the streets of Manhattan 24-7-365

Old 11-17-2014, 11:24 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTCHEESE View Post
Because affordability is an issue with me is why I can afford to live in Tribeca for 7 months and Panama for

"No one equates Manhattan lifestyle with cars" Really What are those things with wheels that line the streets of Manhattan 24-7-365
He's never wrong.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I've been around the country, and honestly most other cities aren't as good. They are just too small for me and not dense at all. Most "cities" look like the burbs with no actual city life.

The only other city I can see myself living in besides NYC would be Tokyo. Seoul is also not bad, the food there is outstanding.
When I retire, while other people move to the South or whatever, I wouldn't mind going to Tokyo and opening a small bar/restaurant there. One of those 6 seaters, like the old timers.
Chicago is a large City with mass transit. Gotta love snow though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City