Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times

Advertisements

Well Im still in college so none of that matters too me. And please Guy, you're acting like you cant get those other things in the Bronx.

The Bronx has theaters, parks, plazas, shopping strips, 24/7 nightlife etc etc

Manhattan is overrated. and LOL immacuately maintained neighborhoods/communities/buildings....its not even a community....Its more of a rush. Streets are fiflthy, people are rude...please spare me your sermon.

The job opportunity I give you however. Other than that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 12:23 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
everybody take a deep breath (in peace maker's voice )
There is some life in the bx however, it is not as concentrated as the night life in the city. you can stay in the bx and still have a good time. There are more options in the city but then again, a lot of those options are over-rated and over priced - especially the restaurants

I stay here for movies, most of my shopping (also go to harlem, downtown bk and queens jamaica plaza), pool - eh - the pool hall on gun hill is dope.

aside - guy - did edenwald projects have a high representation in your school?

Moderator cut: quote

Last edited by Keeper; 01-14-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
There are many options in the Bronx...but the idea of going to the movies in the Bronx is laughable. Nobody/very few respect the "quite please" during movies...and between the laughing/screaming/fighting/arguing/babies crying/parents correcting their kids/cell phones/and dumb comments throughout the movie....I cannot EVER see any move in the Bronx even if it were free. It's almost like I am on candid camera b/c I sit there and every sterotype that exists about people of color and movies is loud and clear...it's amazing and scary. I only go the movies in Edgewater, NJ..which is a heavily Asian area...and people are absolutely silent....no kids/people of color. I enjoy it.

I could not shop in the Bronx..dining is limited....and so are the night time entertainment venues...so there just isn't enough to keep me in the borough and satisfy my needs...and I think I am a reasonable representation of many in the city.

BX718-there were maybe 3 kids from the Edenwald projects at my school..it was private.catholic so they were kept out back then. However, they did torment us the best they could going to and from school....it was pretty bad overall. I can't imagine going to public school...I think I would have dropped out in the 3rd grade!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I cannot EVER see any move in the Bronx even if it were free. It's almost like I am on candid camera b/c I sit there and every sterotype that exists about people of color and movies is loud and clear...it's amazing and scary. I only go the movies in Edgewater, NJ..which is a heavily Asian area...and people are absolutely silent....no kids/people of color. I enjoy it.
even you don't like hanging with the homeys, eh?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
Who really wants to commute from the BX to midtown or the financial district? Its easier and more comfortable to do it from the burbs by metro north or LIRR.
Are you crazy? Where I live, we have a Metro North stop, which is fast, but whether I take it depends on where and when I'm going. If I'm going within walking distance of Grand Central and the schedule is convenient, I'll take it. But if I'm going anywhere else, I'll take the subway. By the time you get off the train and onto the subway, you lose any time advnantage the MN gives you. Also, being tied to the schedule is a grand pain in the ***.

SuperMario, I get the impression that most of the things you say about the Bronx are negative, so it surprises me that you feel that there's no need to ever leave.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
Most people from the outer-boroughs feel that way about Manhattan, Guy. I've heard it so many times from people from BK, Qns, and Bx. Many ppl prefer to come to Manhattan for fun.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:48 PM

APV I never have "hanged" with the homeys..and have no intention of starting anytime soon. Why exactly would I? Being cool to me was never hanging out at the bodega until 3am, smoking weed 24/7, drinking 40s, wearing clothes that are 5x bigger than my actual size, or chopping up the english language into some unintelligible blabber. Just because I am from Mott Haven has nothing to do with me associating with that element...just as being from the suburbs does not mean these kids will NOT associate with that element either.

And I agree with you Pete!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:49 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
The main reason the Bx isn't gentrifying is because of the traveling distance and the lack of resources. It's hard for anyone making six figures to justify living in the South Bronx where train services aren't great, there are a lack of stores etc. Some people even feel the same way about Harlem. Also, for most people (the yuppies and the professionals especially), their friends won't come to visit them there.

This only refers to the South Bronx because Northern Bronx is okay, and is mostly diverse and middle class.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Vitalove your logic does not jive. You say people making 6 figures cannot justify living in areas like Mott Haven because train service isn't great and lack of stores....but if you go into the North Bronx the stores are marginally better, train service is worse, and friends will likely visit you in the South Bronx b/c it is FAR easier/closer to get to, and curiousity about the neighborhood I think.....the North Bronx is far from everything, poorly served by mass transit..and many parts are just plain old suburbs.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:04 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Vitalove your logic does not jive. You say people making 6 figures cannot justify living in areas like Mott Haven because train service isn't great and lack of stores....but if you go into the North Bronx the stores are marginally better, train service is worse, and friends will likely visit you in the South Bronx b/c it is FAR easier/closer to get to, and curiousity about the neighborhood I think.....the North Bronx is far from everything, poorly served by mass transit..and many parts are just plain old suburbs.
they ain't moving there either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City