Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Coney Island is extremely far from Manhattan, not to mention that not all of it is subway-accessible.
Also, it's gang-infested.
Sorry, I don't see it.
They are about to begin construction on a 40 floor luxury highrise on Neptune avenue, but this is on the Russian side of CI where Key Food is. The west side of the station is as sketchy and dangerous as ever.

Coney Island has A LOT of empty lots that developers are sitting on, leftovers from the urban renewals of the past and after Sandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 12:13 PM

5,126 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
A bit of a shocker as Jamaica, Coney Island, Pelham Parkway,Bedford Park, Parkchester are all in the top 10.They cite good access to transportation and "affordability" as the reasons.

Pelham Parkway Will Be Hot Real Estate Spot in 2016, Experts Say - Pelham Parkway - DNAinfo.com New York

"These neighborhoods are ranking very high in the minds of New Yorkers as they are dealing with that very high rent burden and trying to lower their share of the income that needs to go to the rent check," he said.

The Bronx neighborhoods that received the lion's share of attention in 2015 for being trendy were Mott Haven and Port Morris, but Lightfeldt maintained that StreetEasy's data showed a greater interest in the borough's more far flung spots.

"There’s no doubt more attention is being paid to that area of the city," he said, "but when it comes to actually searching for homes and what New Yorkers seem to think is viable in terms of affordability, they’re moving to Pelham Parkway and not Port Morris."

It also says rents are expected to rise faster in The Bronx than in any other borough in 2016.

What does all this mean ? Is The Bronx's nasty rep finally fading away after 40 years?

It means that, if one cannot afford the first tier places, the usual ones, one should look into these places.

I do not see anyone who has the means will leave Park Slope for Coney Fireland, or LIC for Jamica.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:05 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They are about to begin construction on a 40 floor luxury highrise on Neptune avenue, but this is on the Russian side of CI where Key Food is. The west side of the station is as sketchy and dangerous as ever.

Coney Island has A LOT of empty lots that developers are sitting on, leftovers from the urban renewals of the past and after Sandy.
This a pretty dead on post. The western side of Coney Island leading to the private community of Sea Gate is pretty blighted area. A lot of PJ's, Assisted living, and auto repair shops. I would say there is some big cash infusion in the area from the Russians. The Oceania complex being one of the prime examples. The summer is definitely way different crowd then it was 20 years ago. Just not sure how this makes it one of the next "Hot" areas.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Jamaica right by LIRR should be a great place to build condos.

Thing about it right next to train tracks, want to take train to Penn Station, JFK, MSG, Atlantic Terminal, Fire Island, Hamptons, Long Beach all right there. Boom. plus the subway and an express buss to LGA.
Many of the main aves and blvds lead to Jamaica. Atlantic ave, Myrtle ave, Metropolitan ave and Queens blvd, each take you from one of the East River bridges to Jamaica. It is the gateway to Long Island and was basically the economic capital of Long Island as well. History tends to repeat itself.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:55 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
This a pretty dead on post. The western side of Coney Island leading to the private community of Sea Gate is pretty blighted area. A lot of PJ's, Assisted living, and auto repair shops. I would say there is some big cash infusion in the area from the Russians. The Oceania complex being one of the prime examples. The summer is definitely way different crowd then it was 20 years ago. Just not sure how this makes it one of the next "Hot" areas.
Oceania is in Brighton Beach (Russian area), not Coney Island. That is apples and oranges.

Brighton Beach (while crowded and slightly slummy/dirty) is not gang-infested. There are no projects there.

Coney Island from Stillwell (West 14th Street) until Seagate at West 37th Street is mostly projects and Section 8 housing.
It is gang and drug-infested.
There are shootings a few times a week on average.

In fact, I believe it has the highest crime rate in Brooklyn after East New York.

I don't see it gentrifying any time soon.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
The DNA article was not that comprehensive. It left out how they determined which areas to name as hot neighborhoods.

"The list was calculated using the StreetEasy Hot Market Index, which analyzes four key indicators: annual change in sales price, annual change in rent price, recent population growth and annual change in StreetEasy page views per listing."

StreetEasy Predicts Queens Will See Demand Surge in 2016; Brooklyn Will Remain the Most Unaffordable Rental Market in New York City - Dec 15, 2015

Old 12-18-2015, 06:12 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Coney Island is extremely far from Manhattan, not to mention that not all of it is subway-accessible.
Also, it's gang-infested.
Sorry, I don't see it.
+1. they're off the mark with this one. coney island will stay as is for 2016.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:33 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,477 times
Gross. If I wanted to see breadknots on the beach, i'd go to the rockaways. Coney Island and Brighton Beach are my two favorite neighborhoods in NYC (mostly cuz of the beach I guess), but my summers would be RUINED if those beaches were to become infested with fat cankles and beards. stay away, breadknots!

Old 12-18-2015, 06:36 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,516 times
Quote:
Oceania is in Brighton Beach (Russian area), not Coney Island. That is apples and oranges.

Brighton Beach (while crowded and slightly slummy/dirty) is not gang-infested. There are no projects there.

Coney Island from Stillwell (West 14th Street) until Seagate at West 37th Street is mostly projects and Section 8 housing.
It is gang and drug-infested.
There are shootings a few times a week on average.

In fact, I believe it has the highest crime rate in Brooklyn after East New York.

I don't see it gentrifying any time soon.
I stand corrected. BTW what's the border of CI? west of Ocean Pkwy?

BTW with interest rates finally on the rise. I wonder what changes to the home ownership landscape in the outer boro's.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:00 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I stand corrected. BTW what's the border of CI? west of Ocean Pkwy?
Yes. I believe so.

And Coney Island goes 2 miles West of Ocean Parkway to West 37th Street.
The further west you go the more gang-infested you get.

Actually, anything west of the Stillwell Avenue subway stop (West 14th Street) in Coney Island is gang territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City