Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 16,841 times

Advertisements

I live in Riverdale in the Bronx (east of parkway, walking distance to the subway, not west of parkway). There's been a huge change in my neighborhood in the past 3 or 4 years. It seems like almost every new buyer in my coop is a young family priced out of Manhattan or Brooklyn looking for a larger apartment at a reasonable price to start/raise a family. Largely young liberal professionals that can't fathom living in the 'burbs, who need more space and parks. The retail mix is changing in sync, with tapas and craft beer joints springing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,477 times
They can't stand the suburbs, yet they import that lifestyle with them to every neighborhood they ruin. NYC needs a giant earthquake, stat.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:01 AM

579 posts, read 945,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdave View Post
I live in Riverdale in the Bronx (east of parkway, walking distance to the subway, not west of parkway). There's been a huge change in my neighborhood in the past 3 or 4 years. It seems like almost every new buyer in my coop is a young family priced out of Manhattan or Brooklyn looking for a larger apartment at a reasonable price to start/raise a family. Largely young liberal professionals that can't fathom living in the 'burbs, who need more space and parks. The retail mix is changing in sync, with tapas and craft beer joints springing up.
This is good news. I was looking at apartment prices in the Bronx recently and was surprised at how affordable Riverdale east of the parkway had become relative to other area of the Bronx and upper Manhatan. I chose Melrose instead because transport and proximity to midtown was very important for me. That said, I would have stayed in Bedford Mosholu if I was able to find the right apartment.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:34 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
A bit of a shocker as Jamaica, Coney Island, Pelham Parkway,Bedford Park, Parkchester are all in the top 10.They cite good access to transportation and "affordability" as the reasons.

Pelham Parkway Will Be Hot Real Estate Spot in 2016, Experts Say - Pelham Parkway - DNAinfo.com New York

"These neighborhoods are ranking very high in the minds of New Yorkers as they are dealing with that very high rent burden and trying to lower their share of the income that needs to go to the rent check," he said.

The Bronx neighborhoods that received the lion's share of attention in 2015 for being trendy were Mott Haven and Port Morris, but Lightfeldt maintained that StreetEasy's data showed a greater interest in the borough's more far flung spots.

"There’s no doubt more attention is being paid to that area of the city," he said, "but when it comes to actually searching for homes and what New Yorkers seem to think is viable in terms of affordability, they’re moving to Pelham Parkway and not Port Morris."

It also says rents are expected to rise faster in The Bronx than in any other borough in 2016.

What does all this mean ? Is The Bronx's nasty rep finally fading away after 40 years?
Interesting. I have a friend who is a long time BK resident (a native actually) and is on the brink of being "gentrified out" of her apartment. I've been telling her for years that she should buy something. Most of Brooklyn is now out of her financial reach but plenty of the Bronx is not. I hope she listens to me this time because if the predictions in that article is true, the affordable places are about to get a lot more unaffordable.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:34 PM

337 posts, read 424,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Coney Island is extremely far from Manhattan, not to mention that not all of it is subway-accessible.
Also, it's gang-infested.
Sorry, I don't see it.
Its also in a flood zone and required to purchase FEMA insurance (I think?). Also a lot of housing projects and schools are in the dumps. There IS seagate which is a gated community near Coney but i agree with shoshana, i don't see it. The prop values may rise with the rest of Brooklyn but its about an hour out of manhattan on a good day.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:44 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
Its also in a flood zone and required to purchase FEMA insurance (I think?). Also a lot of housing projects and schools are in the dumps. There IS seagate which is a gated community near Coney but i agree with shoshana, i don't see it. The prop values may rise with the rest of Brooklyn but its about an hour out of manhattan on a good day.
It's more than an hour from Manhattan by subway.

And Seagate at the very end of Coney Island (which was middle class but also has crime and drugs by the way), is about 2 hours from most of Manhattan by bus/subway (yes, really)

Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
They can't stand the suburbs, yet they import that lifestyle with them to every neighborhood they ruin. NYC needs a giant earthquake, stat.
Urban Hipster lifestyle isn't the burbs. You can distinguish the burbs by

1) More gas stations
2) Every corner has, not an overpriced cafe, but rather a bank, a convenience store, and a nail salon. Except when there's a gas station.
3) Suburban bicyclists are fewer in number, and the bikes have gears.
4) "Walkable" means there's two or more restaurant/bars in the same strip mall.
5) "The Mall" -- a large enclosed shopping center with many stores and restaurants and much parking. In much of the country these have been replaced with "The Lifestyle Center", same thing but not enclosed.
6) You want to hail a taxi? Too bad, there aren't any.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:03 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Urban Hipster lifestyle isn't the burbs. You can distinguish the burbs by

1) More gas stations
2) Every corner has, not an overpriced cafe, but rather a bank, a convenience store, and a nail salon. Except when there's a gas station.
3) Suburban bicyclists are fewer in number, and the bikes have gears.
4) "Walkable" means there's two or more restaurant/bars in the same strip mall.
5) "The Mall" -- a large enclosed shopping center with many stores and restaurants and much parking. In much of the country these have been replaced with "The Lifestyle Center", same thing but not enclosed.
6) You want to hail a taxi? Too bad, there aren't any.
Number 6 is not true, there are plenty of taxi services in Nassau County and I would guess that they're actually cheaper than those of the city

Old 12-20-2015, 02:49 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,477 times
I wasn't talking about "Urban hipster lifestyle". I was talking about the infiltration of cornball families into NYC.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:16 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Although I'm sure both Portland and Austin have more suburb like layouts than any of these more suburb like neighborhoods of NYC. Yet "hipsters" move there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City