Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post

Please stop using Chicago's murder rate as an example of "ghetto people" moved into new areas without understanding the context of its violence.
Right.
It's nice you said "please," I would not hold my breath though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 09:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Mapping 10 Buildings That Could Totally Transform Jamaica - Development Watch - Curbed NY

Look at all the new projects under construction in Jamaica one year ago! So things really will be crazy there in 2016!

Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 AM

304 posts, read 364,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly there. People who want to live in NYC in any worthwhile living situation (or perhaps any living situation at all) are going to have to do what they must to step up their game or else they will be priced out to who knows where.

As soon as you can buy something in NYC. A house or an apartment in a co-op or condo. That will help mitigate a big chunk of the real estate prices.
Hey thanks for posting that I couldn't agree more I'm trying my best to anticipate a plan for coming up with a down payment maybe even it's only for a studio in the Bronx for 70,000 whatever we all gotta step up our game just like the magnate's and the corporate giants and the privileged class is doing to us. We gotta push back a little bit. Let's let them have Manhattan since they already do and let's anchor ourselves in the outer boroughs more. Then we can have a reciprocal relationship with the wealthy in Manhattan and we will commute there everyday and work since after all those are the folks giving us jobs and needing services ultimately. Then we won't complain as much and get freaked out when places like Williamsburg and DUMBO have Manhattan prices since we'll have staked a claim already there.

AFTER ALL - the only reason the ultra wealthy are taking over the outer boroughs is the same frontier mentality people had when pioneering the American West - If they see nothing but people fleeing and running and they think we're careless enough to not want to step it up well then of course they'll buy it all up!! Who wouldn't? You know?

Old 12-22-2015, 02:41 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,191 times
Coney Island is already starting. Slowly, maybe but I'm already seeing the shift. A year ago we were living in Gravesend, which is just north of CI and were already seeing transplants moving in. I see quite a few on the Q train at night going past Kings Highway, and this is on a weeknight in the winter. So I doubt they're tourists. Let's not also forget there's an express bus that goes to Manhattan from Coney Island, so the train is not your only transit option. Granted, the commute is long (I've lived in Sea Gate) but if someone just wants to live near the beach and doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for rent, I can see it happening. The parts around Trump Village aren't too bad, however there are still some QOL issues.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:13 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Coney Island is already starting. Slowly, maybe but I'm already seeing the shift. A year ago we were living in Gravesend, which is just north of CI and were already seeing transplants moving in. I see quite a few on the Q train at night going past Kings Highway, and this is on a weeknight in the winter. So I doubt they're tourists. Let's not also forget there's an express bus that goes to Manhattan from Coney Island, so the train is not your only transit option. Granted, the commute is long (I've lived in Sea Gate) but if someone just wants to live near the beach and doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for rent, I can see it happening. The parts around Trump Village aren't too bad, however there are still some QOL issues.
The area of Coney Island around Trump Village (near Ocean Parkway) is really just the very beginning of Coney Island - more like an extension of Brighton Beach in feel (mostly Russians and old people).
It's middle class, more or less, and closer to Manhattan than the rest (majority) of Coney Island.

I live at Kings Highway, and honestly, I think I'm the only native-born American professional-ish person that I've EVER seen in my neighborhood who is not Orthodox Jewish. Seriously.
I don't know what kind of "transplants" you are seeing.
Maybe you think they are "transplants" because they are white, but they may be Russian immigrants or the children of Russian immigrants.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:25 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The area of Coney Island around Trump Village (near Ocean Parkway) is really just the very beginning of Coney Island - more like an extension of Brighton Beach in feel (mostly Russians and old people).
It's middle class, more or less, and closer to Manhattan than the rest (majority) of Coney Island.

I live at Kings Highway, and honestly, I think I'm the only native-born American professional-ish person that I've EVER seen in my neighborhood who is not Orthodox Jewish. Seriously.
I don't know what kind of "transplants" you are seeing.
Maybe you think they are "transplants" because they are white, but they may be Russian immigrants or the children of Russian immigrants.
If you live on Kings Highway you must notice the change in store fronts. Very expensive and overpriced now, compared to say 10 years ago.
Either boutiques or giant corporate chains now... (the new tenants are: Chipotle, Chase bank, Duane Reade... same bs as Manhattan).

Old 12-23-2015, 04:56 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Right.
It's nice you said "please," I would not hold my breath though.
Ok.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:02 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
I just moved back to NYC metro from Chicago. This statement is correct. It's not so much that Chicago's "ghetto people" are that much more savage and reckless (don't get me wrong; they can be),than NYC-s thugs. It's just that the city is extremely segregated, more spread out, and located in the Midwest vs the NorthEast.

The end result of this is you have a very large gorgeous city with plenty of extra room and space for renewal, but not the insane demand for it like NYC. So the vast majority of the Southside of the city is forgotten abandoned and blighted at least as far as CityData types & pioneers are concerned.

In NYC you have hipsters taking over places like Bed-Stuy and approaching Crown Heights/Brownsville so the whole city sort of "benefits" from the booming interest and demand to live there regardless of what distanly obscure/unusual/forgotten/blighted neighborhood you must choose it seems people don't care. This is a good thing.

I don't see the hipsters coming to Englewood or the Wild 100s ANYTIME soon in Chicago. It just ain't happening. So the ghetto there, remains GHETTO. Likewise people pushed out of NYC are now choosing state-line border alternatives such as Newark and Jersey City and these places are having a little "renaissance".

I sure as hell don't see any displaced Chicagoans heading for Gary, IN

So whilst none of us on this forum are anticipating prohibitively priced out rents, and "yuppification", this article is still a good one I think and we should all be thankful the city is changing to a more diverse stable and viable option for people of all backgrounds around all the boroughs VS what we had in the 70s/80s/90s blight blight & flight.

While I take an almost daily "moment of silence" in my thoughts for the displaced poor & natives, I see nothing wrong with a little "wake up call" for all residents living in NYC is a bit of a privilege and if you want to you're going to have to at least exert EFFORT vs just let life drag you on stagnantly.

Coney Island 2016? Nah. But sooner than we think...and I just hope when it happens as I get older my income will grow so I'll still be able to afford the whole novelty that's NYC
If it has not so much to do with the ghetto people...then that would mean his statement is incorrect. The latter does bear truth.

If you would actually hear from people born and raised in Chicago you would understand the magnitude of corruption there and its impact. But I'm guessing you probably don't interact with ghetto people.

Chicago is a corrupt mafia ran city plain and simple.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:07 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Actually, they may be sticking closer to you in Midwood. DNAInfo NY had an article saying Midwood had some of the steepest rental increases in BK.

I don't understand why people poopoo-ed my "Southern BK/QNS" thread when this is exactly what might be occurring. Jackson Heights/Elmhurst/Woodside in QNS and Midwood/Borough Park/Bensonhurst in BK are inexpensive, and relatively cheap.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:13 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If you live on Kings Highway you must notice the change in store fronts. Very expensive and overpriced now, compared to say 10 years ago.
Either boutiques or giant corporate chains now... (the new tenants are: Chipotle, Chase bank, Duane Reade... same bs as Manhattan).
There have always been several Duane Reade's on King's Highway, for more than a decade.
There have also been expensive boutiques for decades - that is not new. They cater to the longtime upper middle class/upper class Syrian Jewish community in the neighborhood, and also somewhat to the Russian community.
NOT to any transplants (since as I said - there aren't any in the neighborhood!)

Also, there have, of course, always been banks in the neighborhoods. I've been here for a decade and there are plenty of banks.
Chipotle is new but...is that a really expensive chain?
I see it as another cheap store (like KFC and Taco Bell, which also have long been in the neighborhood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City