Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In those cases ghetto people are being displaced. Allpro is speaking of the new housing situations created when housing projects are destroyed. Chicago destroyed its housing projects and placed the ghetto people in working class suburbs. How did that turn out? Those suburbs became the new ghettoes, and Chicago area murder rate is 3 times that of NY and Chicago has 1/3 the population of NY.

NYC areas that gentrified did so because of brutal police crackdowns and massive real estate investment that forced hood people out and brought in amenities.
I'm aware that tearing down the projects isn't necessarily a good thing and I don't support it

Plus the presence of projects might be the only thing keeping some areas affordable for NYC standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know about that.

About ten years ago a former neighbor on Staten Island (lived next door to us) had a niece whose family was approved to move into Todt Hill Houses. They lasted barely a year before moving right back out again. The woman and her husband just were not willing to subject their children to the "hood" goings on in that place. Mind you this is Todt Hill PJ's considered one of the crown jewels of the NYCHA system.

Know persons who either live in or have to visit various housing projects (nurses, social workers, etc..) and you cannot believe what goes on in some places. There is hood and then you have "HOOD". Urination and defecation in common areas. Loud music blasting 24/7, visible and defiant gang activity, drugs, prossing, etc.... No respect for females, seniors or anyone else. Complain or get to involved in trying to "change" things and a bullet might fly through your window or door.

I know that area of West Brighton where Markham Gardens is and you couldn't pay me to live there. Ditto for West Brighton Houses or anywhere east of Bement Avenue below Castleton or in some areas even Forest Avenues.
I know the projects are often terrible but not all poor people live in the projects and I think that the quality of people who pay the rate for the affordable apartments is much better than people who pay little to nothing that live in the projects. Not that everyone in the projects pays little to no amount of money to live there, but the fact that many people do probably lowers the overall quality of life.

On a related note, the only projects I've been inside were the Jacob Riis houses and they didn't seem bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:33 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times
Quote:
The landlords certainly prefer "cornball" families to ghetto families. The so called cornballs pay more money and a landlord is a businessman, not a baby sitter.

Hailing a taxi? I only do that if my battery is dead. Uber is the way to go (in response to people saying you can't get a cab in the suburbs).
And before Uber arrived did you still hail cabs?? Lololol

Old 12-21-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
In those cases ghetto people are being displaced. Allpro is speaking of the new housing situations created when housing projects are destroyed. Chicago destroyed its housing projects and placed the ghetto people in working class suburbs. How did that turn out? Those suburbs became the new ghettoes, and Chicago area murder rate is 3 times that of NY and Chicago has 1/3 the population of NY.

NYC areas that gentrified did so because of brutal police crackdowns and massive real estate investment that forced hood people out and brought in amenities.
The state of Illinois is mafia ran corrupt entity.

The crime there has very little to do with ghetto people.

Please stop using Chicago's murder rate as an example of "ghetto people" moved into new areas without understanding the context of its violence.

Although New York and Chicago's murder rate has been dropping for decades, the incarceration rate has been rising rapidly.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:

This was largely Guliani's doing.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:13 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
I feel like Coney Island has very little room left for gentrification.

In the past several years they have re-built a lot of the rides in the amusement park, added a baseball field, and still have some plans to add an attraction or two. If you drive down surf ave nowadays, it actually don't look that bad, until you get in between the blocks.

Despite the projects, there have been a lot of condo's built in an around the low income folks. Thing is, as long as the public housing buildings are standing, we won't be able to move the crime and gang activity away from the area.

Otherwise if you live along sheepshead, brighton or coney island, getting to manhattan is reasonable, it can take anywhere from 30-40mins....transportation is readily available.
Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach are much closer to Manhattan than Coney Island.

The closest Coney Island subway stop (Aquarium/8th Street), is maybe 50 minutes to Manhattan on a good day.

The last Coney Island subway stop is at least 1 hour to Manhattan.

Then you have over one mile of Coney Island that is not on the subway at all (Coney Island goes to West 37th Street - Stillwell, the last subway stop, is at West 14th Street).

Also, after West 37th Street, you have Seagate, a gated community, which is even further from the subway and Manhattan.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
This was largely Guliani's doing.
Giuliani did his share certainly, but a lot happened under Bloomberg as well. And I wouldn't say de Blasio was that soft on policing either, with his hiring of Bratton.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
The state of Illinois is mafia ran corrupt entity.

The crime there has very little to do with ghetto people.

Please stop using Chicago's murder rate as an example of "ghetto people" moved into new areas without understanding the context of its violence.

Although New York and Chicago's murder rate has been dropping for decades, the incarceration rate has been rising rapidly.
Yes the crime rate there does have to do with ghetto people. I personally know people who work with Chicago's poor population. It is pretty BAD and anyone who can avoid these ghetto areas does so.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:57 AM

304 posts, read 364,639 times
Quote:
Yes the crime rate there does have to do with ghetto people. I personally know people who work with Chicago's poor population. It is pretty BAD and anyone who can avoid these ghetto areas does so.
I just moved back to NYC metro from Chicago. This statement is correct. It's not so much that Chicago's "ghetto people" are that much more savage and reckless (don't get me wrong; they can be),than NYC-s thugs. It's just that the city is extremely segregated, more spread out, and located in the Midwest vs the NorthEast.

The end result of this is you have a very large gorgeous city with plenty of extra room and space for renewal, but not the insane demand for it like NYC. So the vast majority of the Southside of the city is forgotten abandoned and blighted at least as far as CityData types & pioneers are concerned.

In NYC you have hipsters taking over places like Bed-Stuy and approaching Crown Heights/Brownsville so the whole city sort of "benefits" from the booming interest and demand to live there regardless of what distanly obscure/unusual/forgotten/blighted neighborhood you must choose it seems people don't care. This is a good thing.

I don't see the hipsters coming to Englewood or the Wild 100s ANYTIME soon in Chicago. It just ain't happening. So the ghetto there, remains GHETTO. Likewise people pushed out of NYC are now choosing state-line border alternatives such as Newark and Jersey City and these places are having a little "renaissance".

I sure as hell don't see any displaced Chicagoans heading for Gary, IN

So whilst none of us on this forum are anticipating prohibitively priced out rents, and "yuppification", this article is still a good one I think and we should all be thankful the city is changing to a more diverse stable and viable option for people of all backgrounds around all the boroughs VS what we had in the 70s/80s/90s blight blight & flight.

While I take an almost daily "moment of silence" in my thoughts for the displaced poor & natives, I see nothing wrong with a little "wake up call" for all residents living in NYC is a bit of a privilege and if you want to you're going to have to at least exert EFFORT vs just let life drag you on stagnantly.

Coney Island 2016? Nah. But sooner than we think...and I just hope when it happens as I get older my income will grow so I'll still be able to afford the whole novelty that's NYC

Old 12-22-2015, 06:38 AM

931 posts, read 802,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know about that.

About ten years ago a former neighbor on Staten Island (lived next door to us) had a niece whose family was approved to move into Todt Hill Houses. They lasted barely a year before moving right back out again. The woman and her husband just were not willing to subject their children to the "hood" goings on in that place. Mind you this is Todt Hill PJ's considered one of the crown jewels of the NYCHA system.

Know persons who either live in or have to visit various housing projects (nurses, social workers, etc..) and you cannot believe what goes on in some places. There is hood and then you have "HOOD". Urination and defecation in common areas. Loud music blasting 24/7, visible and defiant gang activity, drugs, prossing, etc.... No respect for females, seniors or anyone else. Complain or get to involved in trying to "change" things and a bullet might fly through your window or door.

I know that area of West Brighton where Markham Gardens is and you couldn't pay me to live there. Ditto for West Brighton Houses or anywhere east of Bement Avenue below Castleton or in some areas even Forest Avenues.
Good point.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
I just moved back to NYC metro from Chicago. This statement is correct. It's not so much that Chicago's "ghetto people" are that much more savage and reckless (don't get me wrong; they can be),than NYC-s thugs. It's just that the city is extremely segregated, more spread out, and located in the Midwest vs the NorthEast.

The end result of this is you have a very large gorgeous city with plenty of extra room and space for renewal, but not the insane demand for it like NYC. So the vast majority of the Southside of the city is forgotten abandoned and blighted at least as far as CityData types & pioneers are concerned.

In NYC you have hipsters taking over places like Bed-Stuy and approaching Crown Heights/Brownsville so the whole city sort of "benefits" from the booming interest and demand to live there regardless of what distanly obscure/unusual/forgotten/blighted neighborhood you must choose it seems people don't care. This is a good thing.

I don't see the hipsters coming to Englewood or the Wild 100s ANYTIME soon in Chicago. It just ain't happening. So the ghetto there, remains GHETTO. Likewise people pushed out of NYC are now choosing state-line border alternatives such as Newark and Jersey City and these places are having a little "renaissance".

I sure as hell don't see any displaced Chicagoans heading for Gary, IN

So whilst none of us on this forum are anticipating prohibitively priced out rents, and "yuppification", this article is still a good one I think and we should all be thankful the city is changing to a more diverse stable and viable option for people of all backgrounds around all the boroughs VS what we had in the 70s/80s/90s blight blight & flight.

While I take an almost daily "moment of silence" in my thoughts for the displaced poor & natives, I see nothing wrong with a little "wake up call" for all residents living in NYC is a bit of a privilege and if you want to you're going to have to at least exert EFFORT vs just let life drag you on stagnantly.

Coney Island 2016? Nah. But sooner than we think...and I just hope when it happens as I get older my income will grow so I'll still be able to afford the whole novelty that's NYC
I agree with you wholeheartedly there. People who want to live in NYC in any worthwhile living situation (or perhaps any living situation at all) are going to have to do what they must to step up their game or else they will be priced out to who knows where.

As soon as you can buy something in NYC. A house or an apartment in a co-op or condo. That will help mitigate a big chunk of the real estate prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City