Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:56 AM
e_D

86 posts, read 81,902 times

Advertisements

I've been flipflopping on the idea of living here at the highest price, but I think I've decided to give it a shot. Will be some more paperwork after accepting before signing the lease I think. I wandered around the building when I saw the unit and it seems like there are still a lot of available units, so if you're waiting on a call I'd say be patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 PM

30 posts, read 31,608 times
Thanks for the advice

Old 09-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Has anyone else moved in?

Old 10-02-2016, 02:04 PM

21 posts, read 33,010 times
New to this forum. I have an interview for this building this week. Lottery log# in 15xxx.

Besides the video posted earlier in this thread, there are no actual pictures of what these units look like. Has anyone moved in? Can you describe the units?

Old 10-03-2016, 05:35 AM

What are you interviewing for one bedroom or two bedroom

Old 10-03-2016, 10:52 AM
e_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by npsBK View Post
New to this forum. I have an interview for this building this week. Lottery log# in 15xxx.

Besides the video posted earlier in this thread, there are no actual pictures of what these units look like. Has anyone moved in? Can you describe the units?
Interesting that they're burning through log numbers so quickly. I wonder if people are declining, and if so, why?

The 1BR I saw was nice, interesting layout. Huge living area and kitchen, smallish bedroom and bathroom. Lots of natural light through the gigantic windows, even just on the 2nd floor. No light fixtures except for the apartment's hallway, light switches are wired to outlets. Ceiling fan in the living room, not in the bedroom. Central AC.

Appliances like sinks and fridge are pretty low budget and no frills. No overhead microwave. I'm not sure if this is the standard for new affordable housing developments as this is the first I've seen, but I honestly expected appliances to be a little nicer, on par with most private owned renovations, which may be expecting too much.

Laundry room was concerningly small, especially considering there are 70+ units in the building. I believe there were 4 washers and 8 dryers.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them for you.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 PM

^Thanks for that description dedbeats. Yes I too am wondering how/why they are still interviewing with such a high lottery number and I don't even have a CB preference or anything like that.

In truth the only things that have my curiosity piqued are that this a new building, the high ceilings, and large windows.

The rent would be significantly higher than what I pay now and it would add 30 min to my commute. The appliances in the video looked cheap, and I guess with such high ceilings they figured occupants will just have floor lamps rather than ceiling lights. The bedroom did look small, and height does not make up for it. That laundry room does seem small. And I don't know if I want to live above a boys and girls club. Doesn't strike me as the quietest thing.

I'm of mixed mind about the whole thing. I may just cancel.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 PM
e_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by npsBK View Post
^Thanks for that description dedbeats. Yes I too am wondering how/why they are still interviewing with such a high lottery number and I don't even have a CB preference or anything like that.

In truth the only things that have my curiosity piqued are that this a new building, the high ceilings, and large windows.

The rent would be significantly higher than what I pay now and it would add 30 min to my commute. The appliances in the video looked cheap, and I guess with such high ceilings they figured occupants will just have floor lamps rather than ceiling lights. The bedroom did look small, and height does not make up for it. That laundry room does seem small. And I don't know if I want to live above a boys and girls club. Doesn't strike me as the quietest thing.

I'm of mixed mind about the whole thing. I may just cancel.
If you have the time and patience to go through the process, you may as well do it and see what happens. You may be surprised. Landing one of these affordable units is still pretty difficult, so don't take the opportunity for granted. I felt much the same as you after viewing the place, but I ended up falling for the idea of living there. Best of luck either way.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedbeats View Post
If you have the time and patience to go through the process, you may as well do it and see what happens. You may be surprised. Landing one of these affordable units is still pretty difficult, so don't take the opportunity for granted. I felt much the same as you after viewing the place, but I ended up falling for the idea of living there. Best of luck either way.
Thanks! I followed your evolving views on the thread and was encouraged. In the end, however, I decided to withdraw/cancel. Hopefully it opens up a slot for someone that's a better fit. Good luck to everyone going through this process!

Old 10-19-2016, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 4,772 times
Default Got Contacted Sunday to Come Interview Today, Wednesday

I got an email this past Sunday, asking me to come in for an interview today, Wednesday. I thought about it for a few hours after receiving the email, then I decided to withdraw my application. The building and units don't offer enough amenities for me to want to pay $1,916/mo. from my income category for either a studio and 1 BR. Other lotteries offer a lot more, some for less in rent. Btw, my log # was 32,7XX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City