Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:09 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqa View Post
Off topic but its rather interesting and telling when many posters can post here the differences of the Jews in our community. The low class moochers which are different than the regular working class jews.

Why can't this be done when discussing other races? Like the differences between low class blacks and hard working middle class blacks??

Judaism is a religion, not a race. The ethnic background of various Jewish persons runs the range from Northern European to African and every other sort of mixture you find with many other religions.

That being said there has always been a cultural "gap" if you will between northern European Jews (who largely make up what would be called Reformed today", versus the more Orthodox sects that you find also in Northern Europe but mostly from the East or South as well.

For what it is worth you can look all over Europe, Israel, North American etc.... historically and today to find "hard working" poor or whatever Jews of both Reformed and Orthodox. It would take pages to explain and others probably can do so better than I but things mainly broke or break down in the paths chosen. Reformed followers have "assimilated" into Western European, North American etc.. cultures to the point they are considered a version of "Cafeteria Catholics" by the more ultra conservative Jewish population.

It was once explained to me it isn't just Hasidic Jews per se that seems to have developed this culture of "mooching", but simply the behavior is a byproduct of Eastern European living where for generations everyone Jew and Gentile games the system.

Life under Communism was often hard, harsh and not very good. Government was often corrupt from the top down with everyone demanding their taste to do (or not) their jobs. You notice that it isn't just the Jews in parts of Brooklyn that scheme and connive, but plenty of Russians, Ukrainians, Polish, etc.. in short almost from everywhere in the former Soviet Union's reach.

When Eastern Europeans first began arriving in NYC/USA there wasn't the vast welfare system seen today. Post WWII and certainly since the 1970's or so that has changed. Asylum seekers, refugees, immigrants from the Eastern European countries (mostly Jews) couldn't believe what the USA/local states were handing out for "free". Sadly some not only helped themselves but applied the techniques learned from the old country. Worse they sent word back home to get over here while the getting is good.

Thus many Eastern Europeans arrive on these shores either already plugged into the "mooching" system or soon find out how. Because of WWII, the Holocaust and what is perceived as continuing discrimination and or persecution of Jews in Europe the USA has had a natural bias post WWII in granting "aid". This has been helped along by powerful Jewish politicians and businessmen/bankers who see any attack or charge to curtail abuse/benefits as anti-Semite discrimination.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, it seems you DO need a lesson because you are again wrong.

Those (modern) Orthodox Jews living in the West Bank very much believe in both the Land of Israel AND the State of Israel.
They call themselves "religious Zionists", or "dati leumi" (in Hebrew) which means "religious nationalists".

All of the men from these settlements DO serve in the army (and also work), and in fact, they tend to be the MOST enthusiastic and high-achieving group of Jews in the Israeli army.
I don't need a lesson in anything. I was FFB from Brooklyn and now I'm happily OTD masorti. This is not the forum for this discussion. If you want to discuss this, we can discuss it in Judaism and you can bring all your TOJ meshugas with you.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqa View Post
its rather interesting and telling when many posters can post here the differences of the Jews in our community. The low class moochers which are different than the regular working class jews.

Why can't this be done when discussing other races?
Who says it can't? Who says it isn't?

Search about CD and you'll see that other races and ethnicities are often discussed in this manner. So it's not "telling" at all.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I don't need a lesson in anything. I was FFB from Brooklyn and now I'm happily OTD masorti. This is not the forum for this discussion. If you want to discuss this, we can discuss it in Judaism and you can bring all your TOJ meshugas with you.
You're wrong.

The vast majority of West Bank settlers are Zionist (modern) orthodox.
The anti-Zionist Haredi factions do not live in the West Bank as it has little meaning to them. To be honest, I think the only thing that has meaning to the Haredi are perpetuating their own factions/sects.

Have you ever heard of Jerusalem, Bnei Brak, Mea Shearim, or Elad?

There are haredi cities such as Beitar and Kiryat Sefer in the West Bank but they're fairly new and much smaller than the established Haredi cities inside Israel proper.

I lived for some time in Israel and have family there. Anti-Zionist Haredi couldn't give less of a **** about the West Bank.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Who says it can't? Who says it isn't?

Search about CD and you'll see that other races and ethnicities are often discussed in this manner. So it's not "telling" at all.
Agree with your post 100%.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Doesn't mean anything. One thing I've noticed is that the damage done by a Haredi upbringing lasts beyond any changes.

The greatest damage is that Haredi are wholly ignorant about virtually everything yet truly believe that they are learned and educated.

It's a shame.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You're wrong.

The vast majority of West Bank settlers are Zionist (modern) orthodox.
The anti-Zionist Haredi factions do not live in the West Bank as it has little meaning to them. To be honest, I think the only thing that has meaning to the Haredi are perpetuating their own factions/sects.

Have you ever heard of Jerusalem, Bnei Brak, Mea Shearim, or Elad?

There are haredi cities such as Beitar and Kiryat Sefer in the West Bank but they're fairly new and much smaller than the established Haredi cities inside Israel proper.

I lived for some time in Israel and have family there. Anti-Zionist Haredi couldn't give less of a **** about the West Bank.
Another one.

Do you have a clue what FFB means??? I was Frum and I currently have a house in Hod Hasharon. I know exactly where everything is in Israel and I know exactly why and how they do what they do in the US.

Here's a hint to my background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ger_(Hasidic_dynasty)

Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Doesn't mean anything. One thing I've noticed is that the damage done by a Haredi upbringing lasts beyond any changes.

The greatest damage is that Haredi are wholly ignorant about virtually everything yet truly believe that they are learned and educated.

It's a shame.
And that is why I left my family, got enrolled in BTHS, became a US Marine and got a Engineering degree from Polytechnic. And yes I'm currently in the country listed in the top right corner.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:02 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
I understand the women get a 4th grade education. Yiddish is their first language. There grasp of English is terrible. And there is no justification for not teaching English, other than these sects are total cults. Why? Because if you can't speak English, you can't escape. And if you are one of the few who do escape, you are considered "dead" by your family. And I'm not talking about abandoning Judaism. I'm talking about abandoning the particular sect/cult.

The Lubavitch are actually pretty good. They are educated, speak English, welcome all Jews into the fold, and try to keep non-religious Jews interested in Judaism. The others just really suck - big time.

Last edited by rubygreta; 02-15-2016 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
What is TOJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City