Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 12:55 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Maybe not institutional racism, but individual racism is alive and well in black Americans. The dictionary describes racist as"a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another." Remember the movie, ' White men can't jump'? Sounds pretty racist to me. The belief that blacks cannot be racist is just a cop out.
Using White Men Can't Jump was a poor example, being that the protagonist is white. I've never heard of any white person having a problem wit hthat title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 04:39 AM

85 posts, read 64,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
I agree with you. That idea that blacks can't be racist is a cop out and it's BS. I say it all the time to family and friends. And just like another poster said, blacks when I've lived in the hood have been racist to Asians too (and vice versa) so the idea that only whites can be racist is foolish.

However, it's still sort of a miniscule thing to compare some name-calling that can be brushed off to the other side.
Blacks who are racist against Asians generally fall into the rock bottom of the social hierarchy; the ghetto type earning minimum wage or on welfare. Whereas racism from whites against Asians is less restricted to a single social class, and can frequently come from either the poorest to the richest of white people.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:01 AM

491 posts, read 375,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
Blacks who are racist against Asians generally fall into the rock bottom of the social hierarchy; the ghetto type earning minimum wage or on welfare. Whereas racism from whites against Asians is less restricted to a single social class, and can frequently come from either the poorest to the richest of white people.
whites are least racist to asians than other minorities from my observations. anecdotally speaking, blacks and hispanics i've spoken to feel that asians have somehow bypassed the "hazing" and shot straight to middle, upper middle class status. many blacks and hispanics in northern cities don't have a favorable image of asian immigrants and are resentful which leads to racism. it goes both ways however, asians can be racist themselves, viewing blacks and hispanics on a lower social class which brews further racism and segregation. i know educated blacks who don't have a positive image of asians for that reason.

this is very different in the south, stretching through the sunbelt and to SW california. i've seen many hispanic female/asian male relationships, esp in tx and ca lately, i mean alot. also white female/asian male, a ton of hispanic male/white female marriages, there is definitely more integration in those places. ironically, tho nyc is a very liberal town it is extremely enclaved culture, influenced by media, and people's dating habits are largely influenced by the insecurity that the media breeds. seeing a minority male of ANY ethnicity with a white female is not very common. in a group of 100, maybe 2 or 3, wheras in other parts of the nation, you'll see 10-20.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-24-2016 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Whites are racist against Asians too. In general, both blacks and whites are the most racist people. And they just like to use Asians and Hispanics to fit whatever their current aganda is, turning that switch on and off as they please.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
whites are least racist to asians than other minorities from my observations. anecdotally speaking, blacks and hispanics i've spoken to feel that asians have somehow bypassed the "hazing" and shot straight to middle, upper middle class status. many blacks and hispanics in northern cities don't have a favorable image of asian immigrants and are resentful which leads to racism. it goes both ways however, asians can be racist themselves, viewing blacks and hispanics on a lower social class which brews further racism and segregation. i know educated blacks who don't have a positive image of asians for that reason.

this is very different in the south, stretching through the sunbelt and to SW california. i've seen many hispanic female/asian male relationships, esp in tx and ca lately, i mean alot. also white female/asian male, a ton of hispanic male/white female marriages, there is definitely more integration in those places. ironically, tho nyc is a very liberal town it is extremely enclaved culture, influenced by media, and people's dating habits are largely influenced by the insecurity that the media breeds. seeing a minority male of ANY ethnicity with a white female is not very common. in a group of 100, maybe 2 or 3, wheras in other parts of the nation, you'll see 10-20.
Asians in NYC tend to live in neighborhoods that are mixed with Latinos, perhaps some of the Asian immigrants view Hispanics as "beneath" them, but that's probably the extent of the tension. I don't think there's really any tension in NYC between US born Asians, blacks, and Hispanics.

I have to disagree about your stance on interracial dating in NYC though, I see mixed couples all the time of different combinations.

Also Asians did not "skip" the hazing, they were very discriminated against in the past and are still not 100% free of discrimination. And some groups of Asians in the US, like Hmong and Cambodians, have the same social ills that are usually associated with blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans.

Last edited by l1995; 07-24-2016 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 09:15 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Maybe not institutional racism, but individual racism is alive and well in black Americans. The dictionary describes racist as"a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another." Remember the movie, ' White men can't jump'? Sounds pretty racist to me. The belief that blacks cannot be racist is just a cop out.
Fun fact: "White Men Can't Jump" was written and directed by Ron Shelton, who is White.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-24-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Fun fact: "White Men Can't Jump" was written and directed by Ron Shelton, who is White.
And the protagonist, Woody Harrelson, is white too

Old 07-24-2016, 09:22 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
White people can't jump as high as black people. Nothing racist about it, it is the truth.

Same way a white man can block pass rushers better than black people. Lower center of gravity, I guess. They can also throw better.

Asian people are better at math. No contest there either.

And Jews are good at debate club/mock trials.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:01 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,824 times
As far as Asians, as an AA I have had no problem with them and have been friends with some,one friend in particular kept
his black friends seperate from his white friends, he was going to visit some white friends and I said casually, "We can all go"
He got to "well uh see its like this". Later, our mutual West African friend said, "Asians have an inferiority complex in relation
to white people." "They are hyprocrites"

I think a class/cultural issue is involved too. Asians can be as racist toward blacks as some whites are and the ghetto type
blacks (not all) who carry the chip-on-the-shoulder-attitude in general meet the Asian racist attitude, then you have a nytro-glycerin explosion. (korean stores in ghetto neighborhoods)...

In my specific observation, it does seem that East Asians are the most group socially palatable to whites as many in both
groups are middle-class and college educated. Indian people seem to keep more among themselves socially.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM

491 posts, read 375,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Whites are racist against Asians too. In general, both blacks and whites are the most racist people. And they just like to use Asians and Hispanics to fit whatever their current aganda is, turning that switch on and off as they please.
depends on white kind of white people. there are different whites, it's silly to categorize all whites in the same group. i found urban jews and catholics to be the most racist "whites" these days. and white jews are very different than middle class whites in arkansas or someone living in san bernadino, ca or fort worth, tx where asian culture is embraced. this has alot to do with generational projection. nyc has strong enclaved racism, as it has a large jewish and catholic population who were once victims of racism in the past, and victims of persecution. these people go on to administer what they've learned in later generations to newer immigrant groups. i believe this is why blacks are racist. they learned it through the generations.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-24-2016 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City