Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:24 AM

491 posts, read 375,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Also Asians did not "skip" the hazing, they were very discriminated against in the past and are still not 100% free of discrimination. And some groups of Asians in the US, like Hmong and Cambodians, have the same social ills that are usually associated with blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans.
asian americans, statistically are the most socially mobile immigrant group today. many east asians move towards middle and upper middle class within just one generation. it's been a common story to hear of an asian immigrant working blue collar, and raising a child graduating college, going off to becoming lawyers, bankers, doctors, engineers and business execs. asian americans have the highest median income of any race demographic in all americans. those who come in poverty, rarely stay there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 10:40 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
asian americans, statistically are the most socially mobile immigrant group today. many east asians move towards middle and upper middle class within just one generation. it's been a common story to hear of an asian immigrant working blue collar, and raising a child graduating college, going off to becoming lawyers, bankers, doctors, engineers and business execs. asian americans have the highest median income of any race demographic in all americans. those who come in poverty, rarely stay there.
Yes they have good social mobility overall, but that's kinda irrelevant to what I was saying.

Also while Asian-Americans do have the highest income on average, it's not really a huge difference from white people. Let's not act like all Asian-Americans are doctors and lawyers.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:00 AM

85 posts, read 64,089 times
Quote:
Yes they have good social mobility overall, but that's kinda irrelevant to what I was saying.

Also while Asian-Americans do have the highest income on average, it's not really a huge difference from white people. Let's not act like all Asian-Americans are doctors and lawyers.
No one is saying that. No need to get insecure.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
No one is saying that. No need to get insecure.
uh there definitely are posters who imply all Asians are very successful

And I'm not knocking Asians by the way

Old 07-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
whites are least racist to asians than other minorities from my observations. anecdotally speaking, blacks and hispanics i've spoken to feel that asians have somehow bypassed the "hazing" and shot straight to middle, upper middle class status. many blacks and hispanics in northern cities don't have a favorable image of asian immigrants and are resentful which leads to racism. it goes both ways however, asians can be racist themselves, viewing blacks and hispanics on a lower social class which brews further racism and segregation. i know educated blacks who don't have a positive image of asians for that reason.

this is very different in the south, stretching through the sunbelt and to SW california. i've seen many hispanic female/asian male relationships, esp in tx and ca lately, i mean alot. also white female/asian male, a ton of hispanic male/white female marriages, there is definitely more integration in those places. ironically, tho nyc is a very liberal town it is extremely enclaved culture, influenced by media, and people's dating habits are largely influenced by the insecurity that the media breeds. seeing a minority male of ANY ethnicity with a white female is not very common. in a group of 100, maybe 2 or 3, wheras in other parts of the nation, you'll see 10-20.
Escaped hazing are you kidding? Asians were even murdered by white thugs in the 70s in Michigan. Google Vincent Chin. Not to mention the Chinese Exclusion Act was the only act that passed barring the immigration of a specific ethnic group. Chinese was the group that built the railroad and you got a bunch of white men standing in the retro poster acting like they did it.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
uh there definitely are posters who imply all Asians are very successful

And I'm not knocking Asians by the way
ALL?! I certainly did not see it. No one implied all. That's ridiculous.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:14 AM

491 posts, read 375,878 times
Quote:
Escaped hazing are you kidding? Asians were even murdered by white thugs in the 70s in Michigan. Google Vincent Chin. Not to mention the Chinese Exclusion Act was the only act that passed barring the immigration of a specific ethnic group. Chinese was the group that built the railroad and you got a bunch of white men standing in the retro poster acting like they did it.
the mass majority of asian immigration was from the 70's on. i'm not saying there wasn't racism towards asian immigrants, sure there has been. my point if you people read correctly is that they have managed to move into the middle class faster than any other ethnic group and that's mostly because of their work ethic, intelligence, and moral compass. asian americans are by far the lowest criminal group in the country. the other more important point is that blacks and hispanics resent that mobility and have a perception that asians were never hazed, as their own communities have been here for generations and stagnant. the liberal brainwashing into the black and hispanic community creates this divisive feeling that asians get a lucky break while they're stuck in the mud. this breeds the kind of anti-asian racism found in black and hispanic communities today. i'm speaking from their point of view, not mine.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-24-2016 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 11:15 AM

738 posts, read 585,977 times
Oh, just one of what I call "angry black dudes." They're way in the minority.

I was going to the store for some snacks and asked this black friend of mine if he liked crackers, and he said, "well, I like SOME of y'all." Everyone, including me, laughed like hell.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Mark Wahlberg committed hate crimes against Asians too

Quote:
ALL?! I certainly did not see it. No one implied all. That's ridiculous.
Not literally all, but some people seem to think that the average Asian-American makes 6 figures

Old 07-24-2016, 11:18 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
i'm speaking from the point of view of them, not me.
LOL

You're speaking from their point of view? How about speaking from your point of view, which is the only point that you can have?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City