Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is he guilty?
No 47 48.45%
Yes 50 51.55%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:25 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Maybe, we should teach realistic self defense in Junior and High school level. It should be part of the core curriculum. If she knew brazilian Jujitsu then that dude would have been in a world of hurt.

Can't live life in fear!
She was in great shape. Probably took kickboxing classes and thought she was a bad ass. She probably weighed around 110-115 pounds and she got taken down by a scrawny 140-pound man who easily overpowered her. This is a lesson for all women that extreme caution has to be taken when out and about. IMO no one, man, woman or child should ever walk a desolate path alone. If something happens from an accident, foul play or medical emergency no one is going to find you.

People have become too comfortable in their surroundings they put the headphones on and lose themselves, don't pay attention and have that mindset it's not going to happen to me. Myself personally whenever I leave the house I always have it in the back of my head that I may not come back. That type of attitude keeps me on my toes.

I was so Naive to think a random crime like this could happen anymore. How wrong I was. This incident is a wake-up call for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 10:30 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Certain demographics of the Afro-American or Afro-Caribbean community have this thing that one of their own "cannot be involved" in this or that crime because they are so upright and whatever.
No ethnic group or demographic has the monopoly on that - family - loved ones - being 'in denial' (sure, it can be a trite phrase) over a loved one's guilt in a crime happens all the time.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
She was in great shape. Probably took kickboxing classes and thought she was a bad ass. She probably weighed around 110-115 pounds and she got taken down by a scrawny 140-pound man who easily overpowered her. This is a lesson for all women that extreme caution has to be taken when out and about. IMO no one, man, woman or child should ever walk a desolate path alone. If something happens from an accident, foul play or medical emergency no one is going to find you.

People have become too comfortable in their surroundings they put the headphones on and lose themselves, don't pay attention and have that mindset it's not going to happen to me. Myself personally whenever I leave the house I always have it in the back of my head that I may not come back. That type of attitude keeps me on my toes.

I was so Naive to think a random crime like this could happen anymore. How wrong I was. This incident is a wake-up call for everyone.

Far to many "probably" in that post pal.

For the record the young woman put up a strong fight:

"Lewis told detectives that he was walking to get food in Howard Beach, Queens when he "happened to cross paths" with Vetrano on a path in Spring Creek Park. He allegedly confessed, "I was angry. I had some issues at home. I just lost it. When I saw her, I just hit her and kept hitting her. I hit her and choked her."

and:

"NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said that she "put up a ferocious fight right until the end," also noting, "She also had bruising on her body, we believe from being dragged through those woods" and that she had weeds in her hands: "She was grabbing onto anything she could at that point."

Suspect In Karina Vetrano's Murder Allegedly Told Cops, 'When I Saw Her, I Just Hit Her And Kept Hitting Her': Gothamist

Basically Mr. Lewis is an emotionally disturbed loser that was locked and loaded on the day in question. He just happened across this young lady and took her totally by surprise. He was angry, hated women, and that poor girl was in the wrong place at wrong time.

Karina Vetrano didn't "think" she was anything; just out for a run minding her own business when a Mr. Lewis out of no where jumps and starts beating her up. I don't care who you are and or how much stronger than the opponent (or not), the element of surprise is a big advantage. By the time this young woman knew what was going on it was too late and all she could do was fight from a weakened position.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:52 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Quote:
Why not? So much stuff goes on in our personal and or professional lives that we often fail to connect the dots as it were.

Can you recall every single event that happened seven or six months ago including faces seen? Especially if not concentrating on the subject or whatever?
I would certainly recall a suspicious guy in the area who I called 911 about two times less than three months before the murder. Calling 911 is something you remember. It's not a random event you witnessed that had no bearing on you.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:59 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
There is a whole lot of unanswered questions going on in this case and a lot of press and heat to get it solved. I really do hope they didn't grab the wrong guy for this.

They never crossed paths before, he is special and all of sudden he had a condom ready go for some action and picked her. Dad says he's never been in a fight in his life, if he did it he figured out how to throw hands that evening.

I have never had a hatred for women, so I don't know deep his thinking goes.

The icing on the cake here would be him mysteriously dying in custody.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Far to many "probably" in that post pal.

Karina Vetrano didn't "think" she was anything; just out for a run minding her own business when a Mr. Lewis out of no where jumps and starts beating her up. I don't care who you are and or how much stronger than the opponent (or not), the element of surprise is a big advantage. By the time this young woman knew what was going on it was too late and all she could do was fight from a weakened position.
You're probably right, she like many females today who are fixated to their phones aren't paying attention to their surroundings.

Very easy to walk behind a girl like her and get her into a choke hold, doesn't take much strength against someone who is untrained to get out of it.

Where are those Black Lives Matter people? When you commit a heinous crime such as this, it's not about your financial status. You have serious mental disorder.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Why did this case get so much attention?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why did this case get so much attention?
1. She's white
2. She's young & attractive
3. It was horrific
4. She's white

Old 02-06-2017, 11:12 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
1. She's white
2. She's young & attractive
3. It was horrific
4. She's white
Just checking. Cause when those 2 kids got stabbed and killed less than a mile away I don't recall a 100 page thread. Maybe I'm wrong. At least when they caught that guy, he looked crazy.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-06-2017, 12:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
something is still off with this story.
the boy looks off. who voulunters dna, without counsel?
Police interrogation techniques have been successful in getting perfectly sane and intelligent people to confess to murders they didn't even commit. I'm sure it is pretty easy to pressure someone into a mouth swab.

Quote:
RIP
Good start...

Quote:
and No offense to the dead lady but she was pretty hot. She looked like a freak under neath the sheet.

The type of chick that will put you on your back and get on top and start squatting down on your lovepole with no mercy!
Damn! I wouldn't let you into the morgue much less my neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City