Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 08:20 AM

9 posts, read 17,536 times

Advertisements

If I accept a position and do not like it, how long do I have to wait to apply for a different position?

Do current employees have preference when other 16 positions become available in other courts and, if so, how are we notified?

Thanks All!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 53,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by est7397 View Post
If I accept a position and do not like it, how long do I have to wait to apply for a different position?

Do current employees have preference when other 16 positions become available in other courts and, if so, how are we notified?

Thanks All!!

As long as your position is contingent (not permanent), you will continue getting canvas letters based on your rank, as you will still be active on the list.
Getting hired doesn't change your position on the list unless you become permanent (then you are removed from the list) or you request to be added to or removed from the list for a particular court.
You can respond to any availability inquiry that you receive and go to the interview on work time (with a few hours excused for the interview, within reason).

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 15,529 times
Has there been any movement on this list?

Old 02-06-2020, 09:48 AM

327 posts, read 456,018 times
@LG,

I'm wondering if there's an informal hiring freeze until the state budget gets approved, which should occur by April 1st or so.

That's because I know there was a dispute about the court's budget allocation for the coming year, and the two courts that canvassed me in December (to which I timely responded that I am interested) have not moved forward in either scheduling interviews or letting me know that the positions have been filled with people who have better rank.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:58 AM

29 posts, read 53,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
@LG,

I'm wondering if there's an informal hiring freeze until the state budget gets approved, which should occur by April 1st or so.

That's because I know there was a dispute about the court's budget allocation for the coming year, and the two courts that canvassed me in December (to which I timely responded that I am interested) have not moved forward in either scheduling interviews or letting me know that the positions have been filled with people who have better rank.
I believe that this has happened with the Senior Court Clerk list - after the initial canvas, they are saying there will be little to no new hires until the budget passes.
It makes sense that it applies to all active lists.

But I think you can call ASM to find out what they are up to on the list.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:58 AM

13 posts, read 26,057 times
Default Transfer timeframe

If you are hired on a permanent basis in a particular court, how long do you have to wait to request or ask for a transfer to a different court when there is an opening? Is it a year once your off probation?
Thanks for any help or insight.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:45 AM

32 posts, read 55,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
@LG,

I received a canvas letter in December as well and received an email that my response was received, but have not heard anything else... The letter stated the expected start date would be March 19, 2020...how did you find out about the dispute?!

Old 02-10-2020, 02:59 PM

327 posts, read 456,018 times
@Favor4me,

since I last posted, Suffolk County got back to me with an interview date in late Feb.

I still don't know about when they'll actually hire people, as the expected start date was supposed to be sometime in Feb, I think. If they actually have funding in hand then the position would probably start in mid March - if they don't have funding yet then there may be an actual hiring freeze and who knows when they can hire the people they select from the interviews.

The dispute is in the news - just Google something like "NYS courts" & "2020 budget" or the like.

The state is facing a large budget deficit due to Medicare spending beyond what was expected.

The courts apparently traditionally get a slight bump in their budget allocation beyond what is originally proposed, but everything is in flux now because of the Medicare spending.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:46 PM

32 posts, read 55,708 times
Well, I received the appointment has been made, my number/rank was "not reachable" letter...this is the second canvass I've received, but I'm not even being offered an interview...

Old 02-13-2020, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 17,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMastiff View Post
If you are hired on a permanent basis in a particular court, how long do you have to wait to request or ask for a transfer to a different court when there is an opening? Is it a year once your off probation?
Thanks for any help or insight.
Good question - anyone know the answer to this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City