Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 AM

327 posts, read 456,309 times

Advertisements

@Favor4me1,

I received similar letters when I responded to canvasses from the clerk's offices in Queens and Brooklyn.

The explanation I received was that they wound up interviewing/selecting candidates who had better rank than me.

The idea is that if candidates with better rank are interested than they must be interviewed first, and if they want the job they must be hired first.
The courts follow the civil service "one in 3" rule, which means they are supposed to hire one of the 3 people with best available rank among those who indicated interest subject to a canvassing. So they don't have to hire the person with the best rank, but they are supposed to interview those interested according to ranking and choose one of the 3 people with the best available ranking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 04:16 PM

I've been hired in Nassau! Question for the group - how does the pension work? If I work for 20 years, would my pension be 40% of my average final 3 years' earnings?

Does the peace officer designation change anything in terms of the pension vs non-peace officer titles? I was asked in the interview if I'd feel comfortable being trained as and serving as a peace officer. I am, and I said "yes" to both questions.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:10 AM

29 posts, read 53,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
I've been hired in Nassau! Question for the group - how does the pension work? If I work for 20 years, would my pension be 40% of my average final 3 years' earnings?

Does the peace officer designation change anything in terms of the pension vs non-peace officer titles? I was asked in the interview if I'd feel comfortable being trained as and serving as a peace officer. I am, and I said "yes" to both questions.

Congratulations! I'm not sure how the pension works as I plan on working for the full years and age requirements for retiring.
Regarding peace officer status, that shouldn't affect your salary or pension. Certain titles in the peace officer line are eligible to carry firearms (with testing, training etc) and entitled to uniform allowances. This type of information you should be able to get from your union.
Good luck on your new position!

Old 03-13-2020, 07:55 AM

@Snif1118,

thank you.

I'm very happy about this.

I'm middle aged so 30 years' service isn't likely - more likely I'll be working 15 or 20 years.

I'll check with the union when I meet the rep re the details for pension and uniform allowances and such. I have no strong feelings about the firearm thing - I'm happy to do any kind of training, though.

What's the general dress code for male court assistants? What do they typically wear? Is there any uniform associated with the position?

Old 03-13-2020, 08:08 AM

29 posts, read 53,202 times
Quote:
@Snif1118,

thank you.

I'm very happy about this.

I'm middle aged so 30 years' service isn't likely - more likely I'll be working 15 or 20 years.

I'll check with the union when I meet the rep re the details for pension and uniform allowances and such. I have no strong feelings about the firearm thing - I'm happy to do any kind of training, though.

What's the general dress code for male court assistants? What do they typically wear? Is there any uniform associated with the position?

Most questions are best directed to the union. Regarding uniform, though, I think that's court specific. I've seen button downs with tie or without tie, jacket not sure, so I think they'll need to tell you that.

Either way, I'm sure you'll do great! Welcome to the court family!

Old 03-14-2020, 06:56 AM

15 posts, read 27,841 times
Congrats LongIslandMatt. You've been waiting a while for this opportunity. Good luck to you.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:28 AM

@Cee_Jay,

thank you.

It's been a long time.

I was talking to my wife about this and I realized it's actually been over a decade, because I took the prior open-competitive test around 2010. I passed it and scored decently, but not nearly as well, and the Courts weren't actively hiring at the time. I was never called for an interview. And this test I took 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been interviewing for over a year.

So, yes, it's a relief, and I just want to do a good job, pass probation, and take every promotional test once they're offered again.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 17,331 times
Is anyone aware of any hiring restrictions in response to the Coronavirus? I was told by HR that hiring decisions are pending. Not sure what that means, but I am waiting for word from an interview I had last week in the 7th JD. Any insight?

Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 AM

@Kimmymiko,

my understanding is that everything is pending while courts are closed. Offers aren't being withdrawn but start dates are being extended, with tentative start dates pushed out a few weeks (subject to change and final approval).
Effectively (with some minor exceptions) the NYS courts are closed. Hopefully that goes on for only a few more weeks. They don't plan to bring people on while the courts are closed. Most current staff are on paid leave rather than doing their jobs at court facilities, per the governor's orders.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 17,331 times
Quote:
@Kimmymiko,

my understanding is that everything is pending while courts are closed. Offers aren't being withdrawn but start dates are being extended, with tentative start dates pushed out a few weeks (subject to change and final approval).
Effectively (with some minor exceptions) the NYS courts are closed. Hopefully that goes on for only a few more weeks. They don't plan to bring people on while the courts are closed. Most current staff are on paid leave rather than doing their jobs at court facilities, per the governor's orders.

Courts here in the 7th JD are just now starting to open up. My assumption at this point, although I have heard nothing specific, is that the state has put on a hiring freeze and any pending decisions are likely to stay that way. I work for a county government upstate, and we have at least a 90 day hiring freeze while the county figures out the economic impact on the local governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City