Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 11:07 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

Actually, while I know test kits are scarce, they should reserve a few to test random people, to see how widespread it actually is. I think people would be shocked with the results (I'd be shocked if the rate were anything like low at this point.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
So you're saying re-open Broadway, the bars, the schools, no restrictions because every New Yorker has already been exposed so they can't get any more exposed

Can we test that?

Would you agree to have someone with coronavirus cough in your face since you have already been exposed
and show everybody it doesn't matter

Old 03-16-2020, 11:34 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The most important thing to do like in Korea is to get people tested. A lot of folks who are carriers have no clue and continue to infect without knowing.
This.

And China (I know, I know, they started it but got cracking once it was upon them), they built additional hospitals in 10 days while Cuomo is pleading that the army corp of engineers be brought in to build hospitals to get a jump on the possibility of NY hospitals being overwhelmed by patients who have the virus needing hospitalization. Are they coming? The Army Corp of Engineers?? Are hospitals being built?

Old 03-17-2020, 02:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It may. A nation who is the source of this scourge may well infect those dumb enough to allow it entrance with the next big virus, the one after that, and so on.
As horribly destructive as this has been no one is going to allow people from a nation having an outbreak into their nation. This has wrecked the global economy.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:49 AM

Once they knew there was this issue with China, other nations around the world should have restricted non essential travel to China. Anyone traveling should have been tested.

End Airbnb. It has enabled cheap travel around the world, but hosts don’t properly clean. Easy breeding ground for disease.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
This.

And China (I know, I know, they started it but got cracking once it was upon them), they built additional hospitals in 10 days while Cuomo is pleading that the army corp of engineers be brought in to build hospitals to get a jump on the possibility of NY hospitals being overwhelmed by patients who have the virus needing hospitalization. Are they coming? The Army Corp of Engineers?? Are hospitals being built?
The government in Spain took over privately owned hospitals (here we have a publically owned system). The private hospitals mainly uses my wealthy expatriates.

They took certain hotels and turned them into medical centers/quarantine centers.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No. I am saying we should restrict who lands on our tarmacs. We need not grant non US airlines landing rights at all.

BTW, Canada today closed its borders. Prudent move.
Spain has done the same. Ditto Portugal. Now the entire European Union is about to bar international travel.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:33 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If I were Governor, I'd be asking the CDC and health department people hard questions and demanding hard numbers. The big one is, can you show that by implementing a financially devastating shutdown of the state economy, you have hard proof that the death toll would be significantly reduced. If they answer was yes, I might be inclined to go along. If the answer was no, or we don't know. I'd go on TV and announce such, and say that, given that we don't know that a shutdown will have any beneficial effect on reducing casualties, and we know it would have a devastating effect on the economy, I've made the decision to push to keep society operating in as much of a normal mode as possible.
It turns out that the reason for the sudden change in attitude from both DeBlasio and Trump yesterday...everyone could see it just by watching their faces on tv.. was because the latest modeling of the progression patterns and it's projections indicate a LIKELY catastrophe for the US not peaking until late June.
It predicts a total of 2,200,000 US deaths before mid to late July with a 20% death rate of anyone over 80 who contracts it

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/u...gtype=Homepage

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020...y=90&auto=webp

A lot of people will choose not to believe this of course and it could turn out to be inaccurate but it's really time for people to stop second guessing actions being taken because the possible consequences of doing nothing are mind boggling.
Even Trump, who began this whole thing indicating it was a hoax and stupidly did everything he could to "keep the numbers down" has had a complete turnaround in the last 24 hours.

Think about it. Trump and DeBlasio pretty much in the same place now on what's happening. That's pretty scary in itself. Not something I ever thought I would see on anything!

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-17-2020 at 05:05 AM..

Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newaccount View Post
The Mayor and Chancellor have blood on their hands. This bit of history will be a case study of what not to do during a pandemic.

Unless the above turns out to be accurate...or even close to accurate.... or even 1/2 accurate.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-17-2020 at 05:51 AM..

Old 03-17-2020, 04:58 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It turns out that the reason for the sudden change in attitude from both DeBlasio and Trump yesterday...everyone could see it just by watching their faces on tv.. was because the latest modeling of the progression patterns and it's projections indicate a LIKELY catastrophe for the US not peaking until late June.
It predicts a total of 2,200,000 US deaths before mid to late July with a 20% death rate of anyone over 80 who contracts it

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020...y=90&auto=webp

A lot of people will choose not to believe this of course and it could turn out to be inaccurate but it's really time for people to stop second guessing actions being taken because the the possible consequences of doing nothing are mind boggling.
Even Trunmp, who began this whole thing indicating it was a hoax and stupidly did everything he could to "keep the numbers down" has had a complete turnaround in the last 24 hours.
I would take the under on the 2.2 million number.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:21 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I would take the under on the 2.2 million number.
Yes. In the article bluedog posted, it indicated that those are the potential numbers that could happen "without drastic action". That's why drastic action is being taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City