Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 08:38 AM

2,443 posts, read 1,218,042 times

Advertisements

Our lefty controlled local Gov't never thought that thru.

Math is never their strong suit.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:44 AM

515 posts, read 525,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The link doesn't work. You should have provided actual posts that validated your statement. The one you posted didn't.
If you click my name you can see all posts I have made. I know what I have posted though and I don't believe I have posted anything that is causing fear or panic. That is why I asked for him/her to please show me exactly what it was that I said so that I can clarify it or apologize to anyone who became fearful or panicked because my words.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Rats of NYC, how has it been for you guys dealing with coronavirus? How has the virus affected your day-to-day lives? Less food found in the streets and subways? Please post.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-17-2020, 09:03 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Rats of NYC, how has it been for you guys dealing with coronavirus? How has the virus affected your day-to-day lives? Less food found in the streets and subways? Please post.
Apart from mandatory imposed changes like working from home, I've been avoiding MNR and the subway as much as possible but taking the same precaution as normal when I do use them, like using hand sanitizer after touching surfaces and hand washing as soon as feasible afterwards. I use OMNY to get downtown, so no swiping metrocards.

Once the weather warms up a bit more, I'll start riding my bike downtown from GCT, assuming the office re-opens in the near future. I much prefer fresh air to being crammed in the subway anyway.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:09 AM

802 posts, read 1,366,974 times
Default Daycares and Coronavirus

Are child Day cares ordered to be closed?
Because where my child goes they are still open and full of children.
I find it very strange.
Do any of you have your child still going to day care?

Old 03-17-2020, 09:30 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
The virus won't solve their problem. This may be the great cull of the boomers, but of the older boomers that are most likely retired. I'm the last boomer and I'm in my mid 50's. The ones under 60 won't likely get killed off in big numbers. That will start with 60, and really, over 70. These are likely out of the workforce already.

What this might do is take some pressure off of Social Security, and, at least longer term, Medicare (short term it will be paying a lot of hospital bills for Corona Virus treatment.) And it might have interesting political implications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Glad that im not the only one who saw it this way. One of the major problems Millennials had when they entered the work force was that there were too many Boomers with entry level positions or mid level positions who refused to move up or move on due to job security or complacency. This made many millennials who graduated with masters degree take any job they could to repay the student loan debt. Now comes along COVID19 and its an opportunity to many.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:42 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The virus won't solve their problem. This may be the great cull of the boomers, but of the older boomers that are most likely retired. I'm the last boomer and I'm in my mid 50's. The ones under 60 won't likely get killed off in big numbers. That will start with 60, and really, over 70. These are likely out of the workforce already.

What this might do is take some pressure off of Social Security, and, at least longer term, Medicare (short term it will be paying a lot of hospital bills for Corona Virus treatment.) And it might have interesting political implications.
None of these "benefits" would happen if we end up in a recession (pretty much guaranteed now) or a depression. The amount of money saved from seniors dying and not collecting social security or using Medicare will not match the amount of tax revenue lost from economic contraction.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:16 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...dkGUHRqrGdEQRY

Stop & Shop to Offer Special Hours for Older Customers

Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 AM

37,140 posts, read 39,394,719 times
WHO also counts people with asthma and diabetes as at-risk groups, and there’s probably at least a few people under 60 that have one or the other. Is there anyone in these forums with friends or family that have either?

There’s also the question of whether or not there are any long-term effects, especially for those who have a more severe case, but do not die from coronavirus directly. However, that’s really something that won’t be clear for decades down the line.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Yes, but the economic contraction is being caused not so much by the virus, but the panic and government overreaction. If people and organizations didn't panic, went on with their normal lives, and the government didn't shut everything down, likely causing an unnecessary artificial depression, we'd recover much more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
None of these "benefits" would happen if we end up in a recession (pretty much guaranteed now) or a depression. The amount of money saved from seniors dying and not collecting social security or using Medicare will not match the amount of tax revenue lost from economic contraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.