Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times

Advertisements

So non-US airlines would then dominate an important, lucrative market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Tie any airline bailout to an immediate, binding, permanent industry-wide mass reduction in flights/seats on flights to/from America to Asia.

Further tie it to a minimum charge for such flights of $10,000 round trip, on a permanent basis, contractually.

This would insure such travel is reduced sharply, reducing the risk this could ever recur.

Any violation by any airline should result in being prohibited from using US airports.

Instead of simply mitigating the affects of an outbreak, insure the kids of the suffering do not suffer the same fate next decade.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:28 PM

515 posts, read 525,134 times
Banning flights isn't going to help much anymore at this point since we have already been contaminated.

I thought SeventhFloor was asking what would be the right thing to do now at the point we were in.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:46 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Someone on my FB feed actually reported that he went to Central Park and saw a woman carrying a 6 foot stick, or maybe even longer.

I think if you need to stay 6 feet from people and you hold the pole in the middle, it would actually have to be 12 feet and you'd have to constantly swing it around.
Imagine now everyone in Central Park doing that.

You just keep swinging it around as you walk with the six-foot one. The 12-one requires two hands. Studies have shown that more 12-foot-pole carriers get their wallets snatched out of their pockets. LMAO

Sometimes ya gotta laugh to keep from cryin'.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Everybody's honest opinion:

What would be the right thing to do?
The most important thing to do like in Korea is to get people tested. Have some kind of frequent shopper card where everytime you get tested you get a stamp. They do the full, saliva and nose exam and will tell you in mins if you are infected. Without testing, closing down spots can only slow infection but not stop it. A lot of folks who are carriers have no clue and continue to infect without knowing.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:00 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The most important thing to do like in Korea is to get people tested. Have some kind of frequent shopper card where everytime you get tested you get a stamp. They do the full, saliva and nose exam and will tell you in mins if you are infected. Without testing, closing down spots can only slow infection but not stop it. A lot of folks who are carriers have no clue and continue to infect without knowing.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-fast-and-free

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-16-2020, 09:07 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So non-US airlines would then dominate an important, lucrative market.
No. I am saying we should restrict who lands on our tarmacs. We need not grant non US airlines landing rights at all.

BTW, Canada today closed its borders. Prudent move.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:10 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Banning flights isn't going to help much anymore at this point since we have already been contaminated.
It may. A nation who is the source of this scourge may well infect those dumb enough to allow it entrance with the next big virus, the one after that, and so on.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:16 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No. I am saying we should restrict who lands on our tarmacs. We need not grant non US airlines landing rights at all.

BTW, Canada today closed its borders. Prudent move.
Closed it to all foreigners. Only Canadians and Americans are allowed entry.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:24 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
So you're saying re-open Broadway, the bars, the schools, no restrictions because every New Yorker has already been exposed so they can't get any more exposed

Can we test that?

Would you agree to have someone with coronavirus cough in your face since you have already been exposed
and show everybody it doesn't matter

Old 03-16-2020, 10:31 PM

515 posts, read 525,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
So you're saying re-open Broadway, the bars, the schools, no restrictions because every New Yorker has already been exposed so they can't get any more exposed

Can we test that?

Would you agree to have someone with coronavirus cough in your face since you have already been exposed
and show everybody it doesn't matter
Flights are already banned. We were all responding to seventhfloor’s question about what should the mayor do.
So answering his question with something that has already been done is pretty redundant in my opinion. Banning flights at this point isn’t the issue because for one it’s already in effect, two the country is already contaminated, three flight are still happening for American citizens who could possibly be infected already.
What needs to be done now is the prevention of the spread as much as possible. I believe that a total lock down on the entire country will be necessary but like I said before in a previous post I’m not a government official so what do I know.

You also need to learn how to read the whole flow of the thread had you done so you wouldn’t haven’t jumped to the conclusion that I don’t agree with all the closing that are going on because I never mentioned anything but flights in response to one post, I said nothing about broadway or schools etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City