Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 10:42 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I enjoy the benefits of the castle doctrine in my neck of the woods. Had this happened to me there would be blood in the streets and it wouldn’t be mine...
Well, I dont know how the law reads in your neck of the woods, but...

(especially in the US) the principle that one is justified in the use of deadly force to protect one's home and its inhabitants from intruders, without being obliged to retreat.

"the castle doctrine has been used to defend a number of deadly shootings in recent years"

I dont think having your car attacked in a public place by idiots allows you to draw blood - even in your neck of the woods. Even if you happen to live in said car. Id consult a criminal defense attorney of the nuances of such a law before acting on it. Im just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 10:51 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Well, I dont know how the law reads in your neck of the woods, but...

(especially in the US) the principle that one is justified in the use of deadly force to protect one's home and its inhabitants from intruders, without being obliged to retreat.

"the castle doctrine has been used to defend a number of deadly shootings in recent years"

I dont think having your car attacked in a public place by idiots allows you to draw blood - even in your neck of the woods. Even if you happen to live in said car. Id consult a criminal defense attorney of the nuances of such a law before acting on it. Im just saying.
In my neck of the woods (North Carolina), I’m allowed to shoot someone who is breaking into my car or home, while I’m in said car or home. Once they get into the home the rules change and they have to be armed, probably with a kitchen knife, before they can be shot.
Once you get outside of the NYC bubble, where people such as the BMW car owner exist, it’s a much safer world where you are allowed to protect yourself from street savages such as these.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:58 AM

1,399 posts, read 890,790 times
Quote:
Once they get into the home the rules change and they have to be armed, probably with a kitchen knife, before they can be shot.
Just crossed North Carolina off of places to retire. I see leftism has invaded the south.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
In my neck of the woods (North Carolina), I’m allowed to shoot someone who is breaking into my car or home, while I’m in said car or home. Once they get into the home the rules change and they have to be armed, probably with a kitchen knife, before they can be shot.
Once you get outside of the NYC bubble, where people such as the BMW car owner exist, it’s a much safer world where you are allowed to protect yourself from street savages such as these.
I grew up in rural Virginia, so I have a clue. And I agree. People are just more respectful of other people when they know there is a good chance the other person might be armed too.

But, I dont know if that would hold true when the vehicle is not on your property, or its on your property but you are not in it. Just like Im pretty sure someone has to be in my house to shoot them, and not just set foot on my property.

Personally I think, in all seriousness, those kids are lucky the driver wasnt so scared that they had a heart attack and inadvertently put the petal to the metal, killing one or more of them.

Its bad enough to have to go to friends funeral, nevermind for a friend that you may have helped kill by "playing" along with them.

Where is our Mayor's condemnation of this (stupid) action? You would think if he felt so strongly about BLM that he wouldnt want to see kids doing stupid crap that could get them killed, even if unintentionally.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:23 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Just crossed North Carolina off of places to retire. I see leftism has invaded the south.
Ha! Good one. Rep.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-01-2021, 11:40 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I grew up in rural Virginia, so I have a clue. And I agree. People are just more respectful of other people when they know there is a good chance the other person might be armed too.

But, I dont know if that would hold true when the vehicle is not on your property, or its on your property but you are not in it. Just like Im pretty sure someone has to be in my house to shoot them, and not just set foot on my property.

Personally I think, in all seriousness, those kids are lucky the driver wasnt so scared that they had a heart attack and inadvertently put the petal to the metal, killing one or more of them.

Its bad enough to have to go to friends funeral, nevermind for a friend that you may have helped kill by "playing" along with them.

Where is our Mayor's condemnation of this (stupid) action? You would think if he felt so strongly about BLM that he wouldnt want to see kids doing stupid crap that could get them killed, even if unintentionally.
You have to read the law in your jurisdiction, know it, and apply it to the situation. I know the law and actively apply it to situations that I see in real life and on videos such as the BMW driver to prepare myself for the future. I have a plan firmly implanted in my mind if such an occurrence should happen. I also know what and what not to say when the Police arrive.
The BMW driver did exactly what he should have done to not get arrested in NYC. Fortunately they didn’t get into the car to cause physical damage. He’s probably psychologically damaged though.
If he were in NC he would have been well within his rights to shoot those savages right through the windshield.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:41 PM

596 posts, read 252,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Here comes another judge, without robe or gavel
I don't agree with the way he said it, but it IS a huge glaring problem when unruly kids are the subject. Too many African American children are born to women out of wedlock. About 70% of all new births.

That unfortunate statistic is an unavoidable fact that the African American community needs to fix. Men need to step up. Men want the kid, but none of the responsibility. An adult can barely afford to take care of themselves let alone feed 1 or 2 extra mouths. Forcing a single mother to be the only bread earner is a crime. Adoption programs and state foster system is a scam. Federal Aide is heavily regulated and some would argue trap people in poverty. Then uh abortion in America is controversial. It doesn't take a genius to see what the end result for a kid born into poverty will be. Upward mobility in America is some would say dying?

TLDR about federal assistance programs, you cant make above a certain amount or you loose it. The minimums are far too low in many states like if you make a few dollars above minimum wage lose assistance. It incentivizes the single parents to well uh not seek better employment when the opportunity arises. We all know in this country the entry level job is 9/10 crap pay and it could take 1-3 years to move up or job hop. Single parents can't risk taking that opportunity since she or he will lose benefits, despite the higher paying job.

The system is a trap.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:58 PM

Well even without COVID, its only going to get worse economically. Artificial Intelligence is replacing more and more workers/jobs everyday. Soon even an Emergency (911) Phone Operator could be completely replaced by AI robots.

Heck, maybe police too. You wont have to worry about the policeman doing his job properly. He could be replaced by a perfectly programmed robot.

I think I want to vote for Andrew Yang for mayor. He at least understands what's happening to jobs in America, and want to gives humans equity. NYC would be a good proving ground for him, if he wants to make another stab at the Presidency.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:55 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Here comes another judge, without robe or gavel
No, I'm not a judge. I am from the land where your parents were born and, as you can see, we have consistently ranked in the top 10 murder rates for the last 20 years. One of the biggest reasons for this is single moms breeding up and their spawns terrorizing society.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:27 PM

150 posts, read 87,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Why isn't this a NYC hate crime? All the perps were of Black and Hispanic origin and the victims were white.
Because to say that is racists according to the new rules in America . Mark my words the American Flag
Will be considered racist within the next 20 years.

“Last One out of NYC shut the lights “
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City