Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 04:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,832 times

Advertisements

The worst homeless problem I've ever seen was in San Francisco when I worked out there for several weeks. Even being a native NYer I was shocked by the amount of homeless folks I saw, but thanks to good old Reagan, again, for cutting back on housing programs, it became even more prevalent in the 80's and has stuck around since.

I approach the homeless the same way I do everyone else, always knowing my whereabouts and using common sense and caution. I'm far more likely to get mugged by a random stranger than I am a homeless person. In fact, most of the homeless folks I've encountered either want someone to talk to or just want to be left alone, no in between!

And people have mental health issues regardless of their housing status. It's just unfortunate that so many homeless have mental health issues that causes them to lose employment and thus housing. But I'm used to any number of people ranting on the train for any number of reasons.

The villainization of homelessness is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 07:32 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
If they're sleeping and not bothering anyone, they're not really an immediate problem, are they? (Stipulating, of course, that they need outreach and every assistance in getting off the streets. I'm just talking about whether they require urgent city response.)
What type of lives do they have now?...They pick out of garbage, They sleep in the elements (cold, heat, filth...). I visited people in Creedmoor years ago..It was certainly sad...But they were better off...

And yes, they are bothering people when they are awake...They do not sleep 24 hours each day...They carry fleas, bed bugs, diseases...They are living on the street like they are a piece of garbage...

I appreciate liberal minded people...you have good intentions. But you have to realize that very often another point of view can be valid...Leaving people on the street like a piece of garbage makes no sense.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Who did you vote for?
I did not vote for any of these freaks in office...Local, State or Federal...None of them...This country is now run by single minded, single issue, people that have no real lives other than politics. They do not know what reality is...They always worked in political environments for donations. And yes, perhaps a few worked as DAs or some other type of government related function...But they never worked fin an environment that required real productivity for the entity to exist...(That is, private industry, self employment. etc...)

I did not vote for any of them...

Old 02-19-2021, 07:51 AM

As soon as I opened the link, my impression was, "Yes, they look just as bad as the homeless on the street now...except they were at least a little cleaner, and warmer, and better fed.

I remember Willowbrook in Staten Island...Yes, it was bad. typical failed corrupt place. But, there are other places that were better run..more honestly run.

Take a look at the picture again yourself...How difficult is it to handle people like this?...Even the ones that seem so harmless while sleeping on the subways. ...

Yes, they are not all threats...But they do need supervision to lead some type of decent life. They need a safe environment.

It's the 21st Century...not the 19th Century..I imagine we can establish better places.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:58 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
As soon as I opened the link, my impression was, "Yes, they look just as bad as the homeless on the street now...except they were at least a little cleaner, and warmer, and better fed.

I remember Willowbrook in Staten Island...Yes, it was bad. typical failed corrupt place. But, there are other places that were better run..more honestly run.

Take a look at the picture again yourself...How difficult is it to handle people like this?...Even the ones that seem so harmless while sleeping on the subways. ...

Yes, they are not all threats...But they do need supervision to lead some type of decent life. They need a safe environment.

It's the 21st Century...not the 19th Century..I imagine we can establish better places.
I agree with you

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2021, 08:47 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,235,542 times
How many homeless died from COVID?

Not all of them !

Old 02-19-2021, 08:49 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
How many homeless died from COVID?

Not all of them !
Maybe the Covid19 virus wants a healthy host...

Old 02-19-2021, 08:58 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,235,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Maybe the Covid19 virus wants a healthy host...
Lol or the hobos are like roaches immune to everything! Will survive the nuclear holocaust!

Old 02-19-2021, 09:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
The worst homeless problem I've ever seen was in San Francisco when I worked out there for several weeks. Even being a native NYer I was shocked by the amount of homeless folks I saw, but thanks to good old Reagan, again, for cutting back on housing programs, it became even more prevalent in the 80's and has stuck around since.

I approach the homeless the same way I do everyone else, always knowing my whereabouts and using common sense and caution. I'm far more likely to get mugged by a random stranger than I am a homeless person. In fact, most of the homeless folks I've encountered either want someone to talk to or just want to be left alone, no in between!

And people have mental health issues regardless of their housing status. It's just unfortunate that so many homeless have mental health issues that causes them to lose employment and thus housing. But I'm used to any number of people ranting on the train for any number of reasons.

The villainization of homelessness is sad.
Ok, so you think we should spend a lot of money and house the homeless people and fix their mental problems. Ok, where would you put them? Most of them do not want to be institutionalized and housed. In a free country you cannot just round up homeless people and put them somewhere against their will.

Should we put them in the most desirable part of SF? To give them a good life? If so, where do I sign up?

How about you put your money where your mouth is and invite some homeless people to your home and the government can give you a tax break too. Let's see how many people like you are willing to do something about it then to complain and expect a fix to the homeless problems.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:09 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Ok, so you think we should spend a lot of money and house the homeless people and fix their mental problems. Ok, where would you put them? Most of them do not want to be institutionalized and housed. In a free country you cannot just round up homeless people and put them somewhere against their will.

Should we put them in the most desirable part of SF? To give them a good life? If so, where do I sign up?

Liberals like you want to fix everything with government involvement but you also can't deny their freedom of rights to not want help.
Other societies don't seem to have these types of issues. So let's start by trying to pinpoint how these problems arise in the first place.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: