Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 08:20 AM

1,034 posts, read 447,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
For 2 bucks and change what do people expect .....

Try driving to all these places you commute by train . See what that costs and the disasters that await you on our roads .....there is always another hurdle on the belt or cross Bronx to deal with daily.

It is a mess trying to drive as well ....the subway is the best deal going ...
I disagree. Look at the subway systems of other first tier cities. The MTA is rife with negligence and corruption. The issue isn't money. When productivity and ROI is as abysmal as it is with the MTA, no amount of money will save it. It's become a jobs program first and foremost. It's no longer a transit agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 08:56 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,773 times
Yes the subways can be frightening, some stations are worse than others. The cops are like security guards. They can be there to deter but often Are not proactively policing. I’ve seen them turn their backs on drug use and clusters of vagrancy. Bail reform is the disaster on top of it. The ultimate blow to safety.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:54 AM

5,689 posts, read 2,618,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

If you feel it's too dangerous outside, just stay home. No need to come on here and make a fearmongering post about it. NYC forum is not the Weeping Wall. C-D has other forums if you really want to rant and let your feelings out, or if you need to talk to somebody. Health and Wellness form, Mental Health subforum.
Same could be said about Covid. You feel it's so dangerous, just stay home. Stop complaining about what other people are doing and if they are or are not getting the vaccine.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:49 PM

1,052 posts, read 453,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Mayor DeBlasio is done with his term end of 2021--thankfully.

Also, don't forget New York City is a city of 8.4-ish or so million people. That's a HUGE city.

With a huge city, you have huge problems. Homelessness is one of them.

I ride the subway several times per week. Homeless have definitely increased on the subway, but they are largely harmless. It's the mentally ill and those with "harm themselves and harm others mentalities" that are a danger.

But all in all, homeless on the subways will always be a thing.

This mayor is not that effective all in all, and has lost respect from many. But I suspect some things will improve if the MTA gets some funding and once a new mayor is elected.

We will see.
Ahh, here we go again. The great fallacy of "huge city = huge problems = crime." Let me debunk this once and for all. City size does NOT matter. NYC is big, but it had and still has far, far better crime numbers than Chicago, Los Angeles or even small cities like Minneapolis, Memphis, etc. Likewise, homeless on a per capita basis is probably worse in San Francisco, a far smaller city, than in New York. So again your fallacy of *big city = big problems necessarily* is disproven.

If we leave the US, we can refer to other large cities, some even larger than New York. Moscow is a HUGE city, for instance, more than 10 million. But when I was there, the epidemic of homelessness seen here in NY was nowhere to be found and certainly not on the pristine trains. Tokyo was even more spotless and by some estimates Tokyo is TWICE as large as New York. Shocker!

So you are wrong. Huge city does not mean huge problems. It also does not mean "homeless will always be a thing." It's all up to the residents of said city and the people in charge to shape their city's destiny.

As the old saying goes, when there's a will, there's a way...

Old 02-18-2021, 12:59 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Haha good point

I don't know why people are starting to complain about the homeless now, every train in the Bronx was like that for decades. Before Covid, sometimes I would see 3 in a row begging. With the same scam line, trying to buy a hero, I have 4 dollars but I'm 2 dollars short. Man did that line encourage people to hold up dollar bills.

Where were you guys in the 2010s, 2000s, or 1990s? Still homeless under Giuliani too, so don't even bring him into the mix. Port Authority area was always a dump, even during Giuliani. All these problems always existed. I take the same precaution that I have been taking on the streets ever since I was allowed to go outside by myself.

If you feel it's too dangerous outside, just stay home. No need to come on here and make a fearmongering post about it. NYC forum is not the Weeping Wall. C-D has other forums if you really want to rant and let your feelings out, or if you need to talk to somebody. Health and Wellness form, Mental Health subforum.

I have to remember that when most people gripe on here it's about Manhattan, isn't that ironic.
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SeventhFloor again.
Facts!
Ive been here during Guiliani, Bloomberg, and now Deblasio and ive said this constantly the only thing that have changed between these mayors is technology. Now everyone person with a heartbeat have the latest smart phone with social media where they can easily take a photo or video of something and put it online for everyone to see. Ever since I came to this country its been like this. Unless it was Manhattan, no one gave a damn. Focus was always Manhattan, people ate that lie up until they got there and realized what it really is.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:19 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Facts!
Ive been here during Guiliani, Bloomberg, and now Deblasio and ive said this constantly the only thing that have changed between these mayors is technology. Now everyone person with a heartbeat have the latest smart phone with social media where they can easily take a photo or video of something and put it online for everyone to see. Ever since I came to this country its been like this. Unless it was Manhattan, no one gave a damn. Focus was always Manhattan, people ate that lie up until they got there and realized what it really is.
Like I said, if people are really scared, just stay home. Tell your boss it's too dangerous for you to go to work. No use turning the NYC forum into their personal shrink. C-D has other fora for that.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-18-2021, 01:22 PM

106,732 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
I disagree. Look at the subway systems of other first tier cities. The MTA is rife with negligence and corruption. The issue isn't money. When productivity and ROI is as abysmal as it is with the MTA, no amount of money will save it. It's become a jobs program first and foremost. It's no longer a transit agency.
Other systems are a fraction of our size ..I was in Washington and Chicago ..they are nothing compared to our massive system

Old 02-18-2021, 01:28 PM

1,052 posts, read 453,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Other systems are a fraction of our size ..I was in Washington and Chicago ..they are nothing compared to our massive system
To reiterate a point I made above about cities, I'll extrapolate it to mass transit systems. Size of system does not matter. Moscow Metro is massive. So is Tokyo's. Even London is huge. Neither of these systems are as decrepit, dirty and mismanaged as New York's MTA, despite their massive size.

It's all about management and employees. If the MTA has corrupt management and lazy, entitled employees who are only there for an easy job, what do you expect the outcome to be?

Old 02-18-2021, 01:35 PM

106,732 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Interesting comparison by a Londoner

Final score

In short: the London Underground is easier to navigate, the New York City Subway has bigger, actual air-conditioned cars. The stations are cleaner in London, New York is cheaper. The staff are so much nicer in London, you don’t have to travel to the centre of the Earth to get to a train in New York. The space issue counts for a lot, it’s not just one tick in a box for New York. Yes, London has an older network, it covers a bigger area, but New York has more stations, more lines (technically speaking) and carries more people each year. London is way more expensive, but New York does run 24 hours a day, while we've only got 24 hour service two days a week, on a handful of lines. Many will disagree, but we're calling it... a draw.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:42 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
To reiterate a point I made above about cities, I'll extrapolate it to mass transit systems. Size of system does not matter. Moscow Metro is massive. So is Tokyo's. Even London is huge. Neither of these systems are as decrepit, dirty and mismanaged as New York's MTA, despite their massive size.

It's all about management and employees. If the MTA has corrupt management and lazy, entitled employees who are only there for an easy job, what do you expect the outcome to be?
I've been on the Underground; they've always closed at midnight - 12:30. At least they can clean it while its closed.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: