Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 06:03 AM

8,088 posts, read 10,116,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I miss the days when Giuliani was sane
LoL He does seem to be slipping a few gears, doesn't he?

To the OP, welcome to the NYC subway system. Glad to hear it is teeming with NYC life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 06:06 AM

34,174 posts, read 47,459,827 times
Willowbrook, the institution that shocked a nation into changing its laws

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-18-2021, 06:10 AM

6,385 posts, read 4,243,395 times
Well the City has certainly changed and not for the better while many residents are leaving and heading to the suburbs since many can now work from home. Liberal policies by politicians have done much to cause decay in NY. With the Covid and the ever increasing vacancies in the office sector, difficulties in the restaurant industry and dramatically cutting the police budget, it’s no surprise that the City is headed downhill, exponentially!

It’s sad for us who recall what a great place NYC was at one point in time and I’m not thinking it will ever return to what it once was.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:13 AM

107,032 posts, read 109,346,048 times
For 2 bucks and change what do people expect .....

Try driving to all these places you commute by train . See what that costs and the disasters that await you on our roads .....there is always another hurdle on the belt or cross Bronx to deal with daily.

It is a mess trying to drive as well ....the subway is the best deal going ...

Old 02-18-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
For 2 bucks and change what do people expect .....

Try driving to all these places you commute by train . See what that costs and the disasters that await you on our roads .....there is always another hurdle on the belt or cross Bronx to deal with daily.

It is a mess trying to drive as well ....the subway is the best deal going ...
Haha good point

I don't know why people are starting to complain about the homeless now, every train in the Bronx was like that for decades. Before Covid, sometimes I would see 3 in a row begging. With the same scam line, trying to buy a hero, I have 4 dollars but I'm 2 dollars short. Man did that line encourage people to hold up dollar bills.

Where were you guys in the 2010s, 2000s, or 1990s? Still homeless under Giuliani too, so don't even bring him into the mix. Port Authority area was always a dump, even during Giuliani. All these problems always existed. I take the same precaution that I have been taking on the streets ever since I was allowed to go outside by myself.

If you feel it's too dangerous outside, just stay home. No need to come on here and make a fearmongering post about it. NYC forum is not the Weeping Wall. C-D has other forums if you really want to rant and let your feelings out, or if you need to talk to somebody. Health and Wellness form, Mental Health subforum.

I have to remember that when most people gripe on here it's about Manhattan, isn't that ironic.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:47 AM

19,082 posts, read 14,039,547 times
Good or bad, the focus is always is on Manhattan. The rest of us are just on the periphery.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-18-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Good or bad, the focus is always is on Manhattan. The rest of us are just on the periphery.
Most transplants think NYC is only Manhattan anyway

Old 02-18-2021, 07:51 AM

10,108 posts, read 14,528,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I was on the subways, several lines going to several boroughs, and it is all still a disaster. I do not recall seeing cops..But admittedly, I spent much time looking around my immediate vicinity while on platforms waiting (I don't want to be a push statistic)...And I did plenty of waiting on the platforms.

The cars are filling up again, and the homeless are back.

On 3 of the 5 trains that I was on, there are still the homeless sleeping away, and one of them was wide awake and scaring people while sitting near them and yelling to themselves. And I saw homeless on steps of stations in Manhattan. blocking the steps, lying down.a few with their cups out for money...I spent a total of about 3.5 hours on the trains.

So, this new promise by the Mayor - I do not see the results.

How these people survive the cold is beyond me...And how the hell do you get a night's sleep on a NYC street?

Yes these people have rights - But one of those rights is the right to be secure (in health and living environment). Many are simply mentally ill, and should be put someplace to protect them (not just from others, but also from themselves and their own wrong choices).
Mayor DeBlasio is done with his term end of 2021--thankfully.

Also, don't forget New York City is a city of 8.4-ish or so million people. That's a HUGE city.

With a huge city, you have huge problems. Homelessness is one of them.

I ride the subway several times per week. Homeless have definitely increased on the subway, but they are largely harmless. It's the mentally ill and those with "harm themselves and harm others mentalities" that are a danger.

But all in all, homeless on the subways will always be a thing.

This mayor is not that effective all in all, and has lost respect from many. But I suspect some things will improve if the MTA gets some funding and once a new mayor is elected.

We will see.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,780,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Mayor Giuliani is gone but not forgotten.

I visited NYC in 2002 and rode the subways the entire time there, right up to around Midnight. Not a single homeless on the trains. Not a single crime witnessed. Nobody pushed onto tracks. Met Cops had regular presence. Platforms were (relatively) clean.

Giuliani had that place cracking. How you govern a city matters. It isn't just luck or chance. It isn't just "what it is". The government/police have a huge impact on a city when they choose to do so. You get more of what you subsidize and less of what you tax. If you support homelessness in your city core you will get more homelessness in your city core. If you coddle crime in your city core you will get more crime in your city core.

It is a sin what so many current mayors are doing to their cities.
Here's the major difference when Giuliani was mayor. The criminals are always on the lookout for cops and when they hear "5-0 is coming!" they run.

Today, criminals do not give a damn about cops or criminal justice system. Thanks DeBlasio!

Old 02-18-2021, 08:08 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,502,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Mayor DeBlasio is done with his term end of 2021--thankfully.

Also, don't forget New York City is a city of 8.4-ish or so million people. That's a HUGE city.

With a huge city, you have huge problems. Homelessness is one of them.

I ride the subway several times per week. Homeless have definitely increased on the subway, but they are largely harmless. It's the mentally ill and those with "harm themselves and harm others mentalities" that are a danger.

But all in all, homeless on the subways will always be a thing.

This mayor is not that effective all in all, and has lost respect from many. But I suspect some things will improve if the MTA gets some funding and once a new mayor is elected.

We will see.

what if the next mayor is worse or some left-wing MAGA nut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: