Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 06:53 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,930 times

Advertisements

I was on the subways, several lines going to several boroughs, and it is all still a disaster. I do not recall seeing cops..But admittedly, I spent much time looking around my immediate vicinity while on platforms waiting (I don't want to be a push statistic)...And I did plenty of waiting on the platforms.

The cars are filling up again, and the homeless are back.

On 3 of the 5 trains that I was on, there are still the homeless sleeping away, and one of them was wide awake and scaring people while sitting near them and yelling to themselves. And I saw homeless on steps of stations in Manhattan. blocking the steps, lying down.a few with their cups out for money...I spent a total of about 3.5 hours on the trains.

So, this new promise by the Mayor - I do not see the results.

How these people survive the cold is beyond me...And how the hell do you get a night's sleep on a NYC street?

Yes these people have rights - But one of those rights is the right to be secure (in health and living environment). Many are simply mentally ill, and should be put someplace to protect them (not just from others, but also from themselves and their own wrong choices).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 09:25 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,738,515 times
If they're sleeping and not bothering anyone, they're not really an immediate problem, are they? (Stipulating, of course, that they need outreach and every assistance in getting off the streets. I'm just talking about whether they require urgent city response.)

If we commit more people--and there's a respectable argument that the difficult balance between individual liberty and health isn't quite right at the moment--then we also REALLY need to commit to funding such places properly, because they turn into horrorshows on their own. I'd rather sleep in a subway than at Creedmoor.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:34 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,146,114 times
Who did you vote for?

Old 02-17-2021, 10:00 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,738,515 times
It's a secret ballot, champ.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:47 PM

155 posts, read 121,231 times
I rode the subways late night both Tuesday and Wednesday and I saw cops stationed at both subway mezzanines and one pair of officers on the train. I was glad to see their presence, but lets be honest, they haven't been a deterrent to crime for months now. I doubt a mentally ill person is going to stop engaging in whatever anti-social behavior they exhibit because they see cops around. And you are absolutely correct about the number of homeless people, most of which have some sort of mental illness, on the subways. I got on an F train at Canal Street (it was running via the E line) and there were 4 homeless men sleeping in the car where the conductor was positioned.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Who did you vote for?
guess what, it doesn't make that much difference

Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 AM

5,689 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Everyday I take the train, there is some story that I end up telling a friend. Gone are the days of just hopping on the train and having a normal commute to work.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:28 AM

11,510 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Mayor Giuliani is gone but not forgotten.

I visited NYC in 2002 and rode the subways the entire time there, right up to around Midnight. Not a single homeless on the trains. Not a single crime witnessed. Nobody pushed onto tracks. Met Cops had regular presence. Platforms were (relatively) clean.

Giuliani had that place cracking. How you govern a city matters. It isn't just luck or chance. It isn't just "what it is". The government/police have a huge impact on a city when they choose to do so. You get more of what you subsidize and less of what you tax. If you support homelessness in your city core you will get more homelessness in your city core. If you coddle crime in your city core you will get more crime in your city core.

It is a sin what so many current mayors are doing to their cities.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:58 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

I visited NYC in 2002 and rode the subways the entire time there, right up to around Midnight. Not a single homeless on the trains. Not a single crime witnessed. Nobody pushed onto tracks. Met Cops had regular presence. Platforms were (relatively) clean.

Giuliani had that place cracking. How you govern a city matters. It isn't just luck or chance. It isn't just "what it is". The government/police have a huge impact on a city when they choose to do so. You get more of what you subsidize and less of what you tax. If you support homelessness in your city core you will get more homelessness in your city core. If you coddle crime in your city core you will get more crime in your city core.

I miss the days when guiliani was sane

Old 02-18-2021, 06:01 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Universal suffrage. There's more of them than there are of us. I know you said "It isn't just 'what it is'" but unfortunately that's the case.

The majority of leftist voters support criminals and hate cops. They vote for prosecutors who focus on de-criminalizing deviant behavior rather than prosecuting the law.

I mean, it's so bad that even the French president commented on the poison of American Leftism. It's sick.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: