Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 11:28 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Other societies don't seem to have these types of issues. So let's start by trying to pinpoint how these problems arise in the first place.
Homeless seems to be a 1st world problem that worked its was back into smaller countries. On my island we did not have this issue. People will knock on the door and ask if they can sweep the yard, cut the bushes, clean out the gutters, pick weeds, wash the vehicle etc for a plate of food, a little change, clothes, etc.

We had a Mango tree, a Tamarind tree and a Guava tree in our yard. We didnt have a whole grove so it wasnt enough for us to sell but people in the area who didnt have much would ask us for the fruit by offering to do something in return. It wasn't until I came to America and i was walking down Fordham Road with my mom and saw homeless people just doing nothing but begging, not even offering some kind of service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 11:54 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Mayor Giuliani is gone but not forgotten.

I visited NYC in 2002 and rode the subways the entire time there, right up to around Midnight. Not a single homeless on the trains. Not a single crime witnessed. Nobody pushed onto tracks. Met Cops had regular presence. Platforms were (relatively) clean.

Giuliani had that place cracking. How you govern a city matters. It isn't just luck or chance. It isn't just "what it is". The government/police have a huge impact on a city when they choose to do so. You get more of what you subsidize and less of what you tax. If you support homelessness in your city core you will get more homelessness in your city core. If you coddle crime in your city core you will get more crime in your city core.

It is a sin what so many current mayors are doing to their cities.
Yeah well, the "Progressives" and the "whatever" crowd are the problem in this City. There's "always" crime, so that makes it ok, or my favorite one, there's crime in the hood, so let's just spread it around. Where are the Progressives at on this forum? I know some of them voted for de Blasio, but they won't admit it.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:59 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,407 times
Yea Subway is a mess. I never really liked their subs and what’s with all the restrictions on the $5 foot long!?

Old 02-19-2021, 12:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Other societies don't seem to have these types of issues. So let's start by trying to pinpoint how these problems arise in the first place.
It's simple, don't feed them. That's why they don't exist in other countries. Here, there is plenty of places they can get free food and they get money to buy booze or drugs. There's nothing for them to do so they just waste their lives away. As long as there are progressive policies, homeless problem persist. Because progressives allow for the caring and feeding of the homeless but offering no solution to turn their lives around.

What has DeBlasio offered to turn their lives around other than gift cards and free hotel rooms. He gives himself a pat on the back for being a champion of the poor while enriching his friends by having the city overpay the hotels. Liberals run scams using their "caring" as a front.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:01 PM

926 posts, read 417,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's simple, don't feed them. That's why they don't exist in other countries. Here, there is plenty of places they can get free food and they get money to buy booze or drugs. There's nothing for them to do so they just waste their lives away. As long as there are progressive policies, homeless problem persist. Because progressives allow for the caring and feeding of the homeless but offering no solution to turn their lives around.

What has DeBlasio offered to turn their lives around other than gift cards and free hotel rooms. He gives himself a pat on the back for being a champion of the poor while enriching his friends by having the city overpay the hotels. Liberals run scams using their "caring" as a front.
I disagree. There are very few or no homeless in countries where the family unit is important, as well as solidarity among people due to having a lot of things in common.

I do agree that progressive policies led to the homeless problem, though. Because they have worked tirelessly to weaken the structure of society - which in the US was the nuclear family.
They have also encouraged immigration from all kinds of people, whose cultures are often completely different from American culture. When you have nothing in common except an ID card, it makes it a lot harder to really care about your neighbor.

But I guess that's the plan. Divide, make everyone be "on their own", so then the government can play savior, and increase its power.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:19 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
https://nypost.com/2021/02/19/female...lumbus-circle/

Old 02-19-2021, 03:54 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
It's a secret ballot, champ.
Is it? At the voting sites you walk your marked ballot over to a scanning machine where a poll worker hovers over your exposed ballot and will “help” if the machine doesn’t accept it at first. Mail-in ballots are opened by poll workers who can see who you voted for. I much preferred the lever machines where you voted behind a curtain.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:04 PM

307 posts, read 637,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Mayor Giuliani is gone but not forgotten.

I visited NYC in 2002
and rode the subways the entire time there, right up to around Midnight. Not a single homeless on the trains. Not a single crime witnessed. Nobody pushed onto tracks. Met Cops had regular presence. Platforms were (relatively) clean.

Giuliani had that place cracking. How you govern a city matters. It isn't just luck or chance. It isn't just "what it is". The government/police have a huge impact on a city when they choose to do so. You get more of what you subsidize and less of what you tax. If you support homelessness in your city core you will get more homelessness in your city core. If you coddle crime in your city core you will get more crime in your city core.

It is a sin what so many current mayors are doing to their cities.
Bloomberg was mayor in 2002.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:32 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,930 times
Quote:
I agree with you
Thanks...And just to add a bit more to my response...

I remember Willowbrook because I was a college student at the time, and I needed work (to pay for school). So, one of the jobs that I applied for was as a driver for some agency that transported some residents there to places like Manhattan, for one reason or another...And I did not get past the interview.

They simply asked me one question - That If I had a resident in the van, and he tried getting out while I was driving him over the bridge - What would I do (?).

...I had no idea!... I was a 20 year old college student....Still learning...

And at that moment, I realized just how difficult the situations in places like that were for the workers and for the people running the places.

..It is a difficult situation to deal with - People in different mental states...

What is right and what is wrong?

Old 02-19-2021, 05:48 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Thanks...And just to add a bit more to my response...

I remember Willowbrook because I was a college student at the time, and I needed work (to pay for school). So, one of the jobs that I applied for was as a driver for some agency that transported some residents there to places like Manhattan, for one reason or another...And I did not get past the interview.

They simply asked me one question - That If I had a resident in the van, and he tried getting out while I was driving him over the bridge - What would I do (?).

...I had no idea!... I was a 20 year old college student....Still learning...

And at that moment, I realized just how difficult the situations in places like that were for the workers and for the people running the places.

..It is a difficult situation to deal with - People in different mental states...

What is right and what is wrong?
We've never tried cannabis

There's drips that stop seizures

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: